Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mfhoop

Finished! White (with blue island), soapstone, etc. (pic heavy)

mfhoop
13 years ago

We've taken some time off from reading this forum (new baby came 4 weeks after we were substantially complete on the kitchen!), but we just got back the photos that our contractor's professional photographer took, so we thought we'd do the final unveil.

When we moved into this house 17 months ago, we knew we'd need to update the kitchen. It was the size of a postage stamp and cut off from the rest of the house. See original floor plan here:

We really wanted a kitchen that would be open to our family room, would have eat-in space not separated by a brick wall, and - of course - more space. So we decided to take out the wall between the original kitchen and dining room, move the dining room to what used to be a formal living room that we never used, and taking out the wall between the old kitchen/dining rooms and a breezeway type area that was mostly wasted space.

After discussions with several design/build firms and countless hours of looking at floor plans posted to this site (thank you, those who gave us valuable input!), we pretty much designed the floor plan ourselves and then found a contractor who was willing to do it. We did have to convince him that we really did want this design. He wanted us to have a U-shaped kitchen with a peninsula instead of the island, but we really wanted the circular flow plan and felt strongly that we wanted 2 separate cabinet runs that make a disconnected "L" so we didn't have any corner cabinets. (With his design we would have had 2 corners on an 11-foot wall). What we ended up with was mostly like this:

Changes to this design included moving the warming drawer to the island, putting the icemaker to the right of the prep sink, and shrinking down the island a bit. We also moved things around within the mudroom. Generally speaking, this is substantially what we ended up with.

This was no small construction feat - we took out 2 walls, including one load-bearing wall to combine 2 rooms and an old breezeway into a single kitchen and then added a mudroom. From the first sledgehammer to the final nail, it took about 16 weeks. There were a few in the middle when we thought that the baby would come first but they got it done on time and for that we are super grateful!

For those who want to know what is what:

Cabinets - CWP (we originally wanted Crownpoint, but decided we wanted something made closer to where we live - VA - and less expensive). So far we've been pleased though the wainscot still needs to be touched up. We're glad we did the blue island with the white surrounding cabinets. It gives the room some personality, looks great with the soapstone and matches my Polish pottery!

Counters and sinks - soapstone from Buck's County. Love it.

Rangetop, hood and ovens - Wolf

Fridge - 48" Subzero

Warming drawer - Miele - we still don't really use this...

Dishwasher - Miele

Microwave - GE spacesaver. We went through a lot of angst with our contractor on the placement of this. We had this location in a prior kitchen and really liked it but he never did. We still like it!

Wine fridge - U-line

Ice Maker - SZ (found used on Craigslist!)

Backsplash - carrara marble (we originally wanted plain white but hired a designer for a few hours of input and he recommended this - we really like how it ties together the grey in the soapstone and the white in the cabinets)

Knobs and pulls- RH

Latches - can't remember, but found them from the Christopher Peacock look-alike kitchen blog

Faucets - KWC except for the filter/insta-hot which is Waterstone (I thought I would love the pull down one but I actually like the pull-out one at our cleanup sink more)

Pendants - Hudson Valley

Floors - White oak in kitchen, soapstone in mudroom. We had 3 different materials in the 3 rooms that were combined to make this (cork, wood, and slate) and had a hard time deciding what we wanted to have. In the end, we went with wood and stained it to match the adjacent dining room.

The pictures:

The old:

The new:

To orient yourself, the pantry to the left of the fridge is in the same location that our old fridge was!

Comments (64)

• honeychurch
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Congratulations! We have Bucks County soapstone too--love it! I love your blue island too. Beautiful room!

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Holy moley!! That is an amazing, incredible transformation!! I'd love to see the POs come in and take a look at what you've done--I bet they would smack themselves in the head and wonder why in the world they lived with that tiny kitchen.

There are too many beautiful elements to enumerate (ceiling, marble, soapstone, glass cabs, open shelves, etc., etc.). My very favorite is the blue island, especially looking across with a peek at the blue on the dining room wall--so, so beautiful! Best of all it feels comfortable and like it absolutely belongs in the house. Enjoy!!

• dee850
    13 years ago

I'm blown away, this is a beautiful transformation. It's classic yet modern, and you have so many lovely details. I really love the lights over the island, just to name one. Never saw soapstone floors before, either - how cool.

• marthasdream
    13 years ago

Beautiful job! congratulations on the new baby and the new kitchen...your timing was wonderful :)

• ptyles
    13 years ago

Absolutely stunning!! I'm just blown away by the transformation and love all your choices.

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

WOW - This is a HUGE transformation! I love, love, love the blue island. The counters are fabulous plus the backsplash, floors and the ceiling. What a wonderful design job - congrats.

• kimp2979
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is gorgeous! Congratulations!

• dar5
    13 years ago

I'm speechless...it's stunning. Congrats on your baby and enjoy your holiday season!

• cakelady541
    13 years ago

That is one beautiful kitchen. Love the blue with white and soapstone. Totally magazine worthy. I don't get envious very much, but I want that kitchen!!!

• corgi_mom
    13 years ago

What a big, beautiful kitchen! Fabulous job. And a new baby too! You've been a busy girl. Enjoy the fruits of your labors [literally!] Merry Christmas!

• research_queen
    13 years ago

wa wa wee wah. stunning. absolutely beautiful.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Oh man. I admit I just scrolled right to the photos, back to the details with a quick scan, and then back to the photos.

I missed the part about having a baby!

So that's even MORE WONDERFUL than a beautiful new kitchen--a beautiful new baby! *sigh* Big, big congratulations!

• sammiecanada
    13 years ago

WOW....that is a gorgeous transformation....I have to say it again, WOW!! Great job...it is stunning.

• doonie
    13 years ago

Excellent job! I love seeing the floor plan changes. Your layout looks wonderfully efficient to cook in. The blue island is gorgeous and melds so well with the soapstone and, of course that lovely classic backsplash. Having to work in a narrow kitchen myself, I have to say that your new kitchen is phat, and I love it!

Congratulations on your new space and the little person to share it with!

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

Just beautiful... I love the blue island. What size is your carrara marble and where did you get it from? Looks FAB!

• eandhl
    13 years ago

Beautiful!

• red_eared_slider86
    13 years ago

Holy mackerel!

Did both you *and* the baby fit in that old kitchen???

This is the first I've seen of your design, and when I saw the changes in the floors plans before and after, I knew the pics of your new kitchen would be impressive. You did not disappoint!

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! Your reno should be in a magazine!

What a wonderful Christmas for you and your family! Enjoy both your new kitchen *and* your new baby! Congratulations!

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

::thud::

drop dead gorgeous

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

First off, congrats on the bambino! We found out I was pregnant a week into our remodel so I can understand the hardship.

Now onto the kitchen.

Ridiculously fabulous! I love that most of your house is now a kitchen!

The blue island is so inviting, your soapstone looks amazing, perfect choice for the backsplash, and the lighting...oh, the lighting. LOVE Hudson Valley pendants! And the flooring. Mmmm....like chocolate!

What a terrific design. Warm and bright, despite no windows. A masterpiece!

• ajhoop
    13 years ago

Husband of OP here...

Thanks for all of the nice compliments. In case we weren't clear enough about it, we do owe a huge debt of gratitude to this community. When we started, I think all we really knew was that it would be hard to design an efficient kitchen and we wanted to stick close to the historic (1930's) period of our house and neighborhood. Almost everything else we learned from you guys.

To try to answer a couple of the questions I saw...
    -I'll have to measure the island; I don't remember the exact dimensions. I want to say something like 72" x 48". When we went to BCS to look at slabs, we only had our dimensions and thought we could make one slab work for the island. After they came to template, though, we ended up needing a couple more inches than they could get out of the slabs that we liked (or we would have to give up on either the overhang of the radius). We ended up using two slabs and the BCS templater (Doug, I think his name was) picked and matched. He's pretty amazing; it's very hard to tell it's two pieces. Veins line up and everything.
    - The backsplash subway is 4x6, with the detail behind the range being 1x2. We got them at a local tile store in near Tyson's Corner, VA that our designer recommended. I'm pretty sure it was called Design Tile, Inc.
    - We hadn't intended to do soapstone floors in the mudroom until we went and visited BCS. In all seriousness, if you're concerned about the cost or your ability to stick to budget with counters, etc, do not visit them! The stuff they have there is so impressive and they are so great to deal with. We ended up walking out having ordered not only our countertops, but the floor tiles and two custom sinks (including the block one). They were responsive, on time, did fantastic work and were all around one of the best parts of this project.

Hope this helps!

• cardamon
    13 years ago

It is beautiful and I loved looking at your pictures. It must be super nice to work and live in your kitchen. You have everything in the design and it just looks so nice together. You must feel like your in kitchen heaven going from the before to the after kitchen. It is kitchen to die for!

• irishcreamgirl
    13 years ago

I echo everyone else. Its beautiful. I love, love, love your blue island. That shade of blue and the blue I see peeking out of what appears to be your dining room is my favorite blue.

Would you mind sharing the color blue you have on the wall in your dining room? I love your color combinations with the gray kitchen, yellow mud room and blue dining room.

Beautiful!!

• prill
    13 years ago

WOW - what else can I say. Love the soapstone counters and floors... blue island. Fabulous job.

• igarvin
    13 years ago

I'm in love.. if we can ever afford a house with as much space as that, I'd copy your kitchen! Seriously, gorgeous.

• dreamywhite
    13 years ago

Those photos don't even look real, it looks like you took them out of a magazine... Congrats it's beautiful and something to be very proud of.

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

hi mf and aj...

It's worthy of being in a kitchen magazine. Awesome!

I really want those patriotic dishes you have displayed...well, actually all the dishes...love the polka dotted ones too.

Congratutlations on the new addition...meaning the baby!

KA:)

• hilarymontville
    13 years ago

Love love love it - your kitchen is absolutely stunning! Enjoy it and the new baby!

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

holy cow, that is an unbelieveable kitchen transformation. I haven't been around GW very long and I'm sure I haven't gotten through all of the kitchens on the FKB but I have to say hands down this is the best kitchen I've seen yet.

That blue island takes my breath away. I can just *feel* the soapstone and the marble. Awesome job!

And Congratulations on the new baby too :)

• oldhousegal
    13 years ago

Stunning! Classic! One of the best kitchens I've ever seen.
    I love how the blue island ties into living space in the background- very nice detail.
    And of course the soapstone.........LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the massive island of stone.
    Simply beautiful.
    Congratulations on making most of us drool over your space! And, of course congrats on the new baby!

• mfhoop
    Original Author
    13 years ago

irishcreamgirl- the DR wall color is BM Williamsburg Blue. We had originally chosen a golden color but changed to blue at the last minute, not even trying to coordinate with the island color, but it turned out well. Here's a pic of the DR. It is about a shade darker in person.

kitchenadict - the dishes with the dark blue are all Polish pottery. The flag ones are "Americana" and the dots are usually called "Peacock". There are a lot of online sellers these days...!

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I am speechless. * * * * * * * >>silence as I droolOh, and congratulations on that new baby! Now you can really enjoy having him/her because with the functionality of your kitchen, you'll be spending lots of time in there!

• pip
    13 years ago

What an incredible transformation! I absolutely love that blue island. I'd be chicken to go for a color that bold, but it really works in your space. I also love how you matched the paint in the dining room to it. It really pulls the spaces together.

Congrats on the new baby! We are also renovating with a newborn - lots of fun!

• tamihs13
    13 years ago

What an incredible renovation. Enjoy! Would you mind sharing what paint color you used on your white cabinets. They look so fresh. thanks

• mfhoop
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The cabinet paint is CWP's white-white color. Can't remember the exact name but they really only had 3 whites to choose from and the others were definitely not "white"!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sooooo pretty.
    Thanks for sharing those beautiful blues.

• cjc123
    13 years ago

Simply beautiful! The detail work is wonderful, everything so thought out and complete. Enjoy this fantastic home!

• julieh1926
    13 years ago

Congrats on your stunning kitchent. Truly. I'm not typically a white kitchen person, but yours is so incredibly warm and cozy. I think your soapstone is Barroca -- we got ours recently from Bucks and it looks very similar. Enjoy your kitchen, and mostly, enjoy your baby!

• blondeziggy2
    13 years ago

Wow, your kitchen is jaw-dropping beautiful. I have looked at your pictures many times. It really should be in a magazine. Congratulations on your kitchen and your new baby.

Could you tell me what color your white oak floor is stained? I love the color. Thanks!

• joan2121
    13 years ago

WOW WOW WOW! How many times you have heard that, but again, WOW! The first thing I love the most is SPACE. Your design is the bomb!!! All the selections are fabulous. We are all ogling (sp?) over it, as you can tell. I keep looking at the pictures over and over and seeing a new detail I love. It truly looks like a magazine cover!
    Congrats! and Enjoy!!

• rob from nj
    13 years ago

Thanks for the eye candy.

Yours is one of the nicest looking kitchens I've seen pictured.

Enjoy it!

• lala girl
    13 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen! I love your island with the soapstone and the blue - that is really special. The pottery gives it so much warmth and personality - enjoy your wonderful new space!!

• revamp
    13 years ago

I was very much just punked by your before/after pictures.

I saw the first "Before" and thought to myself...ooh, a small kitchen like mine! Let's see what they managed to do with such a small space!

Then the "after" pictures seemed to from a designer kitchen website. I think I could fit half of my house in your kitchen.

So, not applicable to me, but I echo everyone else's comments that all your choices were PERFECT and the finished product is breathtaking.

• scootermom
    13 years ago

I absolutely love your kitchen!! And your mudroom.

Were you happy w/ your contractor? Did you hire an architect to turn your vision into workable plans? I live in No Va also; looking for good people.

Congratulations on a beautiful kitchen and a new baby...wow, what a year for your family!

• plumberry
    13 years ago

beautiful transformation. thanks for sharing photos and ifno!

• mfhoop
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Scootermom-
    Yes, happy with the contractor. They were a design-build firm and sold the cabinet line that we ended up choosing. We did not hire an architect.

Send me an email if you want the contractor contact info.

• littlesmokie
    13 years ago

OMG
    This is surely one of the most spectacular kitchens I've seen posted on this forum, honestly it looks like something that should be featured in House Beautiful. I'm sure your design/build firm will get lots of business with your beautiful kitchen in their portfolio. Congratulations and hope you enjoy your kitchen for years to come!

• hellonasty
    13 years ago

lovelovelovelovelove it! amazing! enjoy it!

• gsmama
    13 years ago

Exquisite! All of it. Great color and design choices.

• mom2tykel
    13 years ago

Wowza!! What a huge transformation in style, function, and space.

May I ask what paint color you used in the kitchen?

Also, I was trying to orient the tv & table in your new floor plan but couldn't find it....leave it to me to want to know where the TV is.

Great job! Congratulations on the wee little one.
    ~M2TK

• talairys
    12 years ago

Holy cow. You absolutely nailed it. We were trying to decide on whether a blue island would work in our house, and I stumbled upon your *gorgeous* kitchen. I am SOLD. Wow - fantastic job and thanks for giving me something to shoot for in my design. I think I am going out tonight to buy that paint.

WOW!