Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chiommy

I need Photoshop help

chiommy
13 years ago

I'm sure some here must be tired of seeing my tiny kitchen pictures by now. Still having mega backsplash issues. I really like the fire and ice quartzite but I'm not sure if it'll work with my dakota mahogany countertop. So, I'm asking the help of photoshop experts, kitchen designers, TKObsessors and others on this forum. Can someone photoshop the fire and ice on my wall? Your thoughts as to whether it works and/other suggestions for a backsplash will also be appreciated. The last picture is to show you what my floor is like. Thanks

Comments (24)

• cpartist
    13 years ago

how about a picture of the fire and ice also so we don't have to search for it. :)

• chiommy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My apologies. Here's a picture from the jeffrey court website. Thanks

• cpartist
    13 years ago

I don't have time now, but will get to it by the end of the evening.

• txpepper
    13 years ago

I had a few minutes and did this for you. It's not total coverage but I think it will give you a good idea.

{{!gwi}}

You will need to make sure that your tile person takes into account the brighter orange squares when they do the layout so they are not all clumped together, that a more random pattern is created ... if that is what you would prefer.

Pepper

• chiommy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Pepper. It's nice to see how it will actually look on my wall. So what do people think? Do you think it matches? looks good? not good? not right? Comments?, suggestions? Thanks.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I think it picks up the colors and provides a nice focal point. I vote yes.

• avettfan
    13 years ago

I really like it but I don't love the bright orange squares. It might look too busy but it depends on how many actually come in the tile.

• Jodi_SoCal
    13 years ago

Chiommy, just a thought. The distance between your counter and bottom of cabs will determine how many rows high the backsplash is. I can't remember what the distance is between my cab and counter but our F&I is only 9 rows high. The mock-up shows 14 rows so I think in reality the backsplash won't look quite so small and busy.

• chiommy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the comments. My husband likes it as well but has some misgivings about all the orange. Jodi, with the 4 inch granite backsplash there, there's about 14 inches b/w counter and cabinet. Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to recall that your kitchen does not have the 4 inch granite. That means mine should be less than 9 rows high? Do you think it needs to be enhanced? Is the sealing usually before mounting or after? Thanks again

• Jodi_SoCal
    13 years ago

Chiommy, I *think* our backsplash is 18" total and we have 9 rows which would make sense since the bricks are ~2" high. That would mean you need probably 7 rows for 14".

Jodi-

• txpepper
    13 years ago

Chiommy...

I didn't have a clue as to the size of your tile when I did the mockup for you. I just based the sizing on what I've seen recently in the various stores I've visited. I'm attracted to the smaller size tiles. Obviously. : )

Since it seems that the tile is indeed larger like what Jodi shows, it's a good thing that she shared a pic.

Pepper

• chiommy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. Pepper, your mock up helped sell the idea to my husband. I guess the vote is to go ahead and splurge on it as this will be a splurge for us? Follow up questions for Jodi and other fire and ice owners/admirers. Do you think I need to swap out the glass? Do I need to enhance it? What color of grout did you use? Thanks again.

• cpartist
    13 years ago

I think it's the perfect choice and my apologies for not getting to it for you. I wasn't able to grab the computer away from dh.

• chiommy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all comments/suggestions so far. For Jodi and other fire and ice owners/admirers,

Do you think I need to swap out the glass?

Do I need to enhance it?

When should it be sealed?

What kind of sealer?

What color of grout did you use?

Thanks again.

• Jodi_SoCal
    13 years ago

Chiommy, save yourself the grief and skip the glass pieces swap. Finding the right glass squares has proved to be a real challenge for a lot of people and I really don't think your kitchen needs it.

We did not use an enhancer. I prefer the natural look. Enhancer will darken and give a brighter sheen to the tile pieces.

Absolutely seal Fire & Ice. We used Miracle 511 Impregnator Sealant. The Home Depot carries it.

Below is a close-up of our grout color which is Quartz. If I were to do it again, I would not have chosen that color, too pink. Instead, I would have gone with Delorean Gray.

{{!gwi}}

Hope that helps.

Jodi-

• chiommy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Jodi. Do you seal before or after grouting and what was your grout/tile spacing?

• cpartist
    13 years ago

I would use mushroom grout.

• Jodi_SoCal
    13 years ago

The backsplash was sealed after grouting.

• 4boys2
    13 years ago

Not on natural stone .....Seal BEFORE grouting then again after grouting.Natural stone sucks up grout making wiping off the excess grout painful . Google how to grout natural stone.
    Not the sides just the face of the stone...

Guess I should ask : That is a natural stone ???

• riverspots
    13 years ago

It's hard to judge colors from pictures. If you, viewing it in real life, aren't sure this tile goes with the cabinets and counter, then there is probably a better choice out there.

• chiommy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Riverspots, I haven't seen the tile in real life. I just have liked it since the first time I saw it on gardenweb. That's why I asked photoshop experts to help put it up on my wall. But if you have any other suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.

• Jodi_SoCal
    13 years ago

Chiommy, here is another mockup of Fire & Ice in your kitchen a bit more to scale.

Jodi-

• Jodi_SoCal
    13 years ago

Since Chiommy doesn't list her email address in her profile I can't contact her directly. I did want her to see my mock up so I'm bumping this to the top again.

Jodi-

• chiommy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry Jodi. The last response was on Friday and I didn't check over the weekend. Thanks for the mock up. It looks more like the one in your kitchen. One thing about fire and ice is that once you fall in love with it, everything else pales in comparison. I'm still working on DH though. He liked it and was going to give me the go ahead till I told him how much it costs and he doesn't understand why some tiles on the wall should cost that much. Men!. Thanks again

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals