Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gneebee

Elkay quartech, e-granite, Blanco silgranit differences

gneebee
13 years ago

Has anyone researched, investigated, purchased, used, etc. an Elkay quartech or e-granite sink? I'm looking at either a Blanco silgranit or one of the Elkay Harmony egranite or Harmony Quartech sinks to use on my granite island. I like the idea of of the little recessed integrated draining shelf in the Elkay sinks, but haven't read of anyone using these sinks. I've read lots of your positive comments about Blanco silgranit sinks, however. The closest idea Blanco has is the BLANCOPERFORMA CASCADE undermount, but it's 32Lx 19 1/2W... a bit too big for my 36"x80" island, I think. (The sink is going at the end of the island). I'd like to stay around 18" width so I can still put the faucet on the far side of the sink. The length could be up to the width of the island, but having space on each side of the sink would be nice... so probably it would be wise to stay below 30" if I don't do a sink with the draining shelf.

Ideas, advice, anyone?

My kitchen is gutted and cabinets are built and being stained. I have about 2 weeks to get a sink. 'Have already ordered a large stainless for my main sink. Am traveling to another granite yard today and hope to make a granite decision this week. So excited!

Jeanie

Comments (15)

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I'm currently planning to use this Elkay 25" undermount for my main sink. I really wanted the LARGE one like you referenced, but I just don't have the space for it. Interestingly enough, I'm planning a single bowl Blanco for my prep sink. I have samples of the brown material each company uses, and they're pretty close in color and finish.

Can you be specific about the model number of the Elkay with the shelf you're considering?

Here is a link that might be useful: Elkay Gourmet granite sink

• gneebee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've looked at the Elkay Harmony e-granite sink "with work surface." Model # ELGU2218MC (for Mocha) ELGU2218BK (Black). It has a 3" recessed integrated work shelf inside the sink. The sink measures 22" L and 14 3/4" W with an 8" deep bowl. However, the actual bowl is only 12 5/8 x 12" b/c of the recessed shelf. The smaller bowl area concerns me, after reading on here wher most people have written about wishing they had larger prep sinks.

Elkay also has a "quartech" sink (model ELQTU342210 series) with an integrated shelf that is very similarly made, but uses quartz instead of granite. It has a larger bowl that is 10" deep, but the size is pushing it for me with its overall length and width (34X22). The inside bowl is around 21X16 plus the shelf that is about 4" deep and adds another 8+ inches to the overall length of the sink.

We're installing the prep sink at the end of our 36" wide island so one would stand at the end of the island to face the sink instead of along the side of the island. With a larger sink, I really won't have counterspace on each side of the sink, but the little recessed shelf would serve as a draining area. 'Can't decided if I like that idea over going with a single open bowl sink like the 10" deep Blanc Performa 440081 (~17X17") or the 7.5 inch deep Blanco Precis 440140 (20 3/4 x 18).

I'm using a large double bowl stainless steel sink for our main sink under wht kitchen window, but wanted something a little different to go in the island. I've decided on Typhoon Bordeaux granite and think either Mocha or Bisque would look nice. Have considered copper, but am concerned about wear & tear with acidic vegetables, etc. I have a big family (married daughter, 2 married sons, 1 single son, grands, etc.) When they all come home and are helping in the kitchen, I don't want to be consumed with protecting the sink.

thoughts, anyone?

• aliris19
    13 years ago

Hi gneebee -- have you had any thoughts about all this? What did you decide to do? I'm in the same position as you, wanting an integrated shelf in an island prep sink. I am seeing these e-granite and quartech sinks by Elkay and am confused by the difference, also their relationship with silgranite. I *think* I came across a very authoritative-sounding post about the differences and at least one has microban impregnated -- personally, I think that sounds like a bad idea. I'm wondering whether one of these is really them.

Do you know? Please clue me in on your research and decisions about this! Thanks!

• aliris19
    13 years ago

In investigating these choices further I called a random internet company (Irawoods -- anyone have any experience with them?) and reached a very knowledgeable-sounding gentleman who says there have been more cracking issues with the softer quartech and the e-granite is newer; harder. He says e-granite is Elkay's equivalent of Blanco's silgranite. He says neither of these has microban impregnated. I thought I read that somewhere on this board -- it sounds like a really bad idea to me, but I must have been mistaken about it, fortunately.

Anyone installed this e-granite (or another) sink?

• monkeymo
    13 years ago

We installed the Elkay e-granite gourmet undermount 25". It was the only granite composite I could find that would fit our cabinet. All the others stated the need for a 36" cabinet and ours is 33". We have the black one. I would say it is more like a dark, dark, grey than a black.

We have been using it for about 2 weeks and we love it. It is wide enough to get a cookie sheet into it flat and deep enough to hid the dirty dishes if we do not get to them quickly. I do want to purchase the stainless grate for the sink though in order to have dished in the sink and still be able to pour stuff into the sink.

• rob from nj
    13 years ago

We purchased a few items through Ira Woods and were very happy with their service.

We installed the Elkay single bowl e-granite sink but haven't used it yet as the kitchen isn't finished. We also looked at the Blanco but liked the shape and depth of the Elkay better. They have a lifetime warranty so I'm not too worried.

• gneebee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey all. Thank you for your feedback. The sink that best fit my island space and needs ended up being one without a shelf. We ended up with a Blancoprecis Silgranit Undermount in Bisque color that looks terrific with my Typhoon Bordeaux granite. I found the best price at homeclick.com and before ordering, called to speak to a gentlemen in customer service who was wonderfully helpful and polite. The sink arrived just a few days after ordering, I think within 5 days. It was in perfect condition, excellently packaged. I also ordered the stainless steel grate that is NOT coated with that plastic film that I detest... (and... btw... came on the grates with my expensive Franke sink). We got the kitchen functional by Thanksgiving. I'm still dealing with some lighting issues, a freezer that is malfunctioning, and waiting on tile for my backsplash. So far, I'm really pleased with everything and it was wonderful to have new appliances and the extra sink, storage space, etc. for serving Thanksgiving dinner to the family ...all 13 who came home for the Thanksgiving holiday weekend.

• aliris19
    13 years ago

Hi Breezy -- FWIW it may be worth asking around a little more about this. It may be so, but I'm worried this may be a little embellishment on a past, finite problem. I think -- at least so I've gathered from a few unrelated sources - that at first both silgranite and e-granite had trouble cracking during shipping. I gather both are better now than formerly, but silgranite got better before e-granite. I don't know if that's just familiarity with shipping-type problems that they've been able to mitigate now that things are better understood, or whether they've actually literally reformulated. I guess I've been led to believe the latter, that things are now literally different from how they were a couple years ago.

Someone I spoke with today said that until a year ago or so e-granite still had some trouble, sometimes, shipping; silgranite until a couple years ago. But now both companies -- he claimed -- are comparable.

Again, the recommendation to inspect with a flashlight before installation for cracks. Again I heard that once installed, the sinks are utterly durable. I heard claimed this was so for both brands.

Whether there's more involved in the long term that distinguishes the brands, or whether the distinction is due to a now largely-irrelevent shipping issue (due to material improvement first by Blanco, then Elkay), I can't say. But it's possible you can have both sinks with impunity.

That's one problem with judging solely from reports of problems -- there can be a cohort of products susceptible to problems, that later (or earlier) cohorts didn't exhibit. It's tricky to pick away the time-component.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I'm judging this based on two reports from people who handle them on a daily basis. The Elkay cracks weren't from shipping (although I've heard that problem from others here), but during use after install. And both said customers with Elkays weren't happy about the sink finish. Older generation sinks may be the problem here. I don't know. The fact that the plumber, out of the blue, began to caution me against Elkay or the cheaper granite sinks meant something to me. I'm not buying my sinks through him so he had no financial stake in telling me. I hadn't heard this before from any of the plumbing showroom salespeople I've spoken with this year.

I like Blanco's colors better anyway so I'm going with those.

• aliris19
    13 years ago

So do you agree this sink bowl is too small to be a functional prep sink? It's sink's dimensions are 12 5/8"w x 12"l x 8"d

If it's too titchy, can anyone suggest a different integrated prep sink? Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: e-granite integrated prep sink

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Aliris, if the sink was just the bowl that size, it would be too small. Having that ledge in there changes things. I've never used one like that so I can't tell you how it will function. I cook with lots of fresh fruits and veggies. I think I would feel too boxed in by that ledge. Do you want the ledge just to rest cleaned produce?

• aliris19
    13 years ago

Breezy -- I guess so; just cleaned produce. I wash a lot of greens and fruits and veggies; I thought having a drying shelf in the island might be a good thing. But I would love to hear from someone how they use this sink...

• shannonplus2
    13 years ago

I don't have any specific knowledge of the Elkay products, but to Aliris19's point about the updated version of Silgranit, that did happen in July-09. I am linking below the Blanco press release about Silgranit II.

I went with a friend to shop for her granite composite sink. I agree with Breezygirl that the Silgranit just looked nicer than the Elkay, the colors were nicer, deeper, the texture somehow better, though I cannot explain why specifically. It was just an overall impression.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blanco Press Release about Silgranit II

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Aliris--I saw that you started a thread on your specific sink. I was going to suggest that. I also do lots of fruits and veggies. I would prefer a bigger sink bowl than a smaller one with the ledge. I think it's more flexible. You can always put a colander inside a bigger sink when necessary, but you can never make the ledge disappear to make the sink bigger. When soaking greens, I'm not sure you'd have enough room with that ledge. Does that make sense? I don't think you're wrong to choose that sink. I just want to make sure you've thought it out carefully. It looks like you're doing that! If you do choose that sink, I'd love to hear whether you're happy with it after a year. That way you can help others decide if they're considering it.

I'm also a little confused about your sink choices overall. The Stages 45 is an expensive sink. It has a ledge and is designed to function like a prep sink. Do you plan to prep there or at this Elkay prep sink?

Sorry to hijack OP!