Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remodel_mama

backsplash - bold color or play it safe? (pics)

remodel-mama
13 years ago

Hi all,

So, it's finally time for me to decide on a backsplash. I was planning to just play it safe and use an off-white/cream colored 3x6 tile. This decision was mainly because a) I didn't really know what else to do; b) it wouldn't be such a big commitment to a color; and c) it would be easy to change the wall color later if I got sick of it.

But when I showed the tile salesperson the wall color, she ran in the back and brought out a beautiful terracotta tile that matches the wall color almost exactly... I never imagined a terracotta backsplash, but something about this tile is really making me re-think my plain vanilla/off-white plan. I need your help!

Here is the basic plan:

* White/off-white inset cabinets (Fieldstone - Marshmallow Cream) with Caesarstone countertop in "Espresso"

* Black (antiqued) island with walnut butcherblock top

* White oak floors with walnut inlay/trim

* BM Salsa Dancing on walls with BM Mascarpone on trim

* Burnished/antique brass hardware and small glass pendants over island with burnished/antique brass trim

Here are some pictures:

layout:

island:

island with walnut bb sample:

kitchen colors:

The terrcotta color tile in the picture is 4"x4" - it's just a sample. If I pick this tile (or the off-white one to the right of it), I would get it in a 3x6 tile. The corners on this tile are rounded and they are hand glazed, but the edges are just the slightest bit wavy to give it that hand-made/mold look, but still straight enough to make them easier to install than hand-mold.

If I decide to play it safe and go with off-white, the tile in the top left corner is also a contender. It's a warmer off-white and the edges are straight.

What do you think? Bold (and spicy) terracotta to match the Salsa Dancing or play it safe (plain vanilla) off-white?

Comments (23)

• malhgold
    13 years ago

For me, it would be too much of that terracotta color. At least with the paint if you tire of it you can change it. Maybe you can find something in between the all terracotta and the "safe" white, which it doesn't seem you really want.

• ControlfreakECS
    13 years ago

I'm big on color, and plan on having a colorful backsplash myself, but terra cotta is a very strong color that can quickly go from fantastic to overwhelming. What about doing a stripe or some other pattern of the terra cotta tile within the white? It wouldn't be competing with anything else, since there is no pattern in the counter top, which seems to be why a lot of people avoid pattern in the backsplash. Honestly, though, I would be looking for some type of pattern to go behind the range and sink - I'm not that artistic, so I'd be looking for one of those pre-designed ones.

• ebean
    13 years ago

i agree that all terra cotta will be intense...why not work out a band sitting in between the cream?

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

I love that terracotta tile and think it would look amazing. Have you thought about doing a tile behind range to match that has the terracotta and some of the other colors in your kitchen like a cream, rich brown and charcoal? I'm thinking stunning!

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

I LOVE terracotta (or burnt orange color) and black and cream together. It's so versatile and works with Victorian, Mission, Craftsman, Spanish and contemporary styles of house.

One of my all-time favorite kitchens (highlighted in Peter LaBau's wonderful The New Bungalow Kitchen, where you'll find more photos):

I don't think all terracotta would be too much, but I do love saturated colors, and I feel that the white/cream tile backsplash with white cabinetry is *slightly* overdone these days. And my dining room is a dark burnt squash; never ever get sick of it. So I'm biased. :-)

If the intensity gives you pause, I do like the idea of alternating the terracotta with a lighter cream colored tile - depending on your vision, the contrast of a matte terracotta with glazed shiny cream could create a delicious texture without needing a complicated pattern.

You have so many choices, and they all sound lovely. Good luck!

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Cpeanut, I'm biased too because I love warm colors. That is some special tile you have posted.
    I was trying to find a behind range backsplash that had all the kitchen colors and would also go with the terracotta tile. This may not be your style but will give an idea of what was in my head with colors.

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/ideas/?action=viewät=redmosaic.jpg"; target="_blank">

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

As someone with a very *blue* kitchen, I obviously love color. I think the terracotta will look great with your kitchen colors. If you want to just add them as accents or alternate with the light color, that would also work.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

You're not headed down the Christopher Peacock palette path, you know. I think that the room would seem less "2010" with the terracotta tiles, but you might also mitigate them by using them sparingly. There seem to be two responses to living with a white kitchen: enjoy the whiteness or go looking for color after installation because the white is overwhelming. Can you tell which you will be?

I belong to the red freaks subcaucus here so of course I cheer on anyone who's doing terracotta and am planning to include plenty in my own design. But it has more to do with you than with us. There are all kinds of ways to decorate and you've shown us a thoughtful set of colors and textures here. The distressed black island is one clue that you're probably leaning toward the #2 response. Live with the idea a little and be sure that you and your family really like browned reds because tile is much more of a commitment than paint. The room will not be known as the "white" room but will be remembered for its very warm aspects. The walnut will look warmer and redder, the black will seem redder in some lights, esp. the exposed under color. If your floor is a yellowy wood, that will add to the warm color aspects of the room. I would add a printed fabric or rug that contains all the colors also. Or some art. Yellow brass is a good idea, but you could also consider "Swedish iron" or pewter hardware if you want to dress down. A fabulous light fixture with one more texture would be good.

If you are restricting the palette, you're done. Finé. But if you are interested in expanding the range, this palette enjoys additional colors: turquoise, blue-grays, teal greens, varieties of mustard and squash. Whites and near-whites and many grays and some taupes and browns. Avoid the crayon box colors: orange and clear red and clear green and so on.

• red_eared_slider86
    13 years ago

It really depends on what YOU love, but I would be inclined to choose a mostly white BS, perhaps with some of the terracotta as an accent. I love your colors, though. They look beautiful together.

• function_first
    13 years ago

While I think it's pretty cool that there is a tile that exactly matches your wall color, it seems like it would lose impact because it's so similar. I'm not sure of your tastes, or what other patterns you will have going in the kitchen or adjoining rooms, but I could really see the tile circuspeanut posted with your terracotta walls and understated cabinetry -- beautiful. If the patterned tile is a no-go, I'd probably go with the off-white 3x6 tiles as a second option.

• ejbrymom
    13 years ago

I would keep it neutral so that down the road if you wanted to repaint your kitchen you could do any color on the wall and have it work.
    LOVE your kitchen layout!
    How big is your island? it is a great size! Love the storage!

• sue_b
    13 years ago

jterrilynn what is the source of the beautiful mosaic?

I love terra cotta and used red limestone as the color feature behind my stove. The neutral field tile is Jerusalem Gold. I found a sample glass mosaic sheet on ebay for about $9 and that's where I got the little accents. I love the deep terra cotta tile you picked out. I suggest that at the same tile store where you found it, bring graph paper next time and ask that salesperson or someone else there with design skill to sketch out a backsplash using your neutral tile and accents of that great terra cotta. Someone who sells tile had to sketch mine for me and it really helped the installer too. Where I live the tile stores are so busy that it helped me to have an appointment to get their full attention and see all they had. I recommend making appointments over walk ins--it saved me A LOT of time hanging around waiting to be waited on.
    No one mentioned resale....if it isn't your forever house remember someone looking at it down the road might not be a terra cotta fan.

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Sue b, the tile I posted is from showcasemosaics.com and called medieval red.
    You really did a nice job on your kitchen, it's stylin, warm and practical at the same time. Looks like it would be easy to clean and keep clean. I can just imagine turning on some good music, pouring a glass of wine and cooking up a fest.

• ellendi
    13 years ago

Since you are unsure, why not paint the backsplash the same terrcotta as the walls? This way you can get an idea if you like the entire backsplash in this color. Live with it and then decide on the tiles. Many of us have taken a very long time to decide, so take your time.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I think ellendi nailed it on the head. If you paint all that expanse in the terra cotta, that will tell you if you want your permanent bs to be that color.
    I'd prefer it to be something more adaptable down the road if it were my house. Our bs will be only in one small area, so I can switch it out if I get tired of it later on. Since it is a small bs, it also will not cost an arm and a leg to install or replace.

I am so glad that wall color is not permanent because I like to update whenever it is time to refresh. If you save the terra cotta for the paintable surfaces, you can have a whole new kitchen in a few hours with paint alone.

• Jody
    13 years ago

I agree with dianalo and ellendi ~ I just recently painted my kitchen with Ellen Kennon's Pumpkin Spice and absolutely LOVE it!!! But will I love it in 6 or 7 years ~ by then I'll be ready for a change.

I am also in the process of choosing granite and tile for a backsplash. Currently I have 1 inch mosaic ceramic tiles on counter/BS in shades of white, beige, ecru, etc. .... and I find I really like the neutralness of it and the fact I CAN change my wall color/decor any time I want.

So I am *thinking* of going with a delicatus granite or bianco antico and 2x4 off white subway tiles with, behind my sink, a thin border of copper in a rectanglure shape with an arched top and shiny/sparkly glass tiles in the middle of this (probably in a brown tone).

This way I will be able to *change* my kitchen in the future without a lot of expense. I am also planning on a copper farmhouse sink :)

Good luck on your decision ... I know how difficult they are to make!!

jody

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

Remodel-Mama - I really like your choices. You have lovely taste and should trust your instincts. I know that feeling - you could stick with the simple and know it would look nice or take a risk and have your place look...wow. I LOVE what circus peanut posted. I don't know where you get stuff like that, but Jeffery Court carries some hand painted tiles that are interesting. http://www.jeffreycourt.com/chpt4_handpainted_tiles.asp

Another route is something in the same color family but a little softer. Both Pratt and Larson (makes a "watercolor" glaze that I could not find on the website) and Winchester make a soft handmade glaze that has a little variability/interest but could be a softer treatment in the same color family that would compliment the walls and give a little punch without overwhelming. Here is a link to Winchester "Mars" - http://www.winchestertiles.com/range.php?c=28&r=35#

The tile you posted looks strong with a flat color - with your antiqued island I would be looking for something with a little more variability and character like a watercolor finish or a crackle. Or even a real terracotta tile :) Looking forward to seeing your choice. The kitchen looks beautiful so far.

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

sue_b: Wow! Awesome kitchen!

remodel_mama: I love your choices so far, including that yummy terracotta tile. Like others have mentioned, I'd consider going with the terracotta as an accent or try painting it all first to see what you think.

If you do go with the white tile, I like the one with the wavy edges. It seems to go better with the antiqued island, and it would add nice texture.

• remodel-mama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. I think it makes a lot of sense to paint the backsplash the same color as the wall and live with it a bit.

I did not order the backsplash with countertop (since I am planning to tile). Will this be a problem during this "trying out color on the backsplash" stage? Should I be concerned about water/crumbs getting back there. I guess the main area I am concerned about it behind the sink.

• positano
    13 years ago

Very pretty choices! It will look so beautiful. I just lived with a painted backsplash for a year and a half. No problems at all. I think its a safe choice to see how you feel about the color there.

Good luck and keep posting pictures.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

I love color!

I love a color backsplash!

I read everyone's comments and agree strongly with these points:

1) I think you need one more color, like a blue or a butter yellow.
    2) Love the idea of a rug or some textile thrown in.
    3) I think the tile and wall color matching is overkill.

BUT I personally like the idea of the terra cotta tile and a lighter color on the wall....like a butter or sage.

Good luck. You have beautiful materials that you are working with. I am sure it will all come together

Here is a link that might be useful: this rug is too big but love the colors!

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Thought:

If your concern is the area by the sink, why not do that wall white with white grout and the stove wall terra cotta? I think that would work with your layout, especially because the terra cotta would be the focal point and is along the main long stretch. The white tile would just be like a painted wall. But...tile.

• kristenh
    13 years ago

i personally wouldn't do the white. but i think the terracotta will end up being just too much of that color. have you considered something like this?

or perhaps a cheaper version of something like this since i just learned this morning that this stuff was $180 sq ft

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}