Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevie_2010

Finished! White, VA mist, mixed marble mini brick BS. (pics)

stevie_2010
13 years ago

I have been mostly finished since March, but I kept thinking I would take the perfect photos when I had finalized wall art and bought a new DR table. Who am I kidding? I'll never get around to those things. So I'm posting now.

Thanks to the GWers who offer so much expertise. I don't post often (since I have no expertise) but I read all the time and this has been such a tremendous resource. Thank you to all who selflessly contribute.

My original kitchen was a 1937 galley. We knocked out a wall between DR and kitchen and opened a new door between nook and LR. Here's what we put in:

Cabinets: Legacy Bertch

Counters: honed virginia mist

Backsplash: 6x12 carrera on top and bottom. Mixed marble mini-brick in the middle (Vessel by Artsaics in carrera, bardiglio and thassos).

Floors: Red oak to match the rest of the house. Jacobean.

Paint: BM Natura. Thornton Sage in the kitchen. Down white and Iron gate in the DR.

Recessed lights: Cree LR6.

Faucet: Kohler Vinnata

Here are the pics. If they are too big, please let me know and I'll try again.

Old kitchen and nook:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

New kitchen:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

This one shows a little of the DR (but was taken before BS was in).

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (33)

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

That's one of the best blacksplashes I've seen in a while! It compliments the counters beautifully. And the space seems much larger. How gorgeous! You have the exact style and color of cabs I plan on getting! The pendants are way cool too! Enjoy! (And thanks for posting more pretty eye candy!)

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

What a great job you did. Love the colors of your walls!!! CONGRATULATIONS :-)

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Oh, that is so lovely! You must be so happy! It looks so much more open and bright.

Congratulations!

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Wonderful kitchen--it's so much more bright & airy! Floors are gorgeous! Love your wall color, and your backsplash is so beautiful and unique! I'm sure you'll enjoy this new space--thanks so much for sharing!

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Your floor is making me crave a cup of hot chocolate! So pretty and warm. The marble on your walls really interacts well with the subtle movement of the virginia mist. Looks great...enjoy the new space!

• bizzymom_of_2
    13 years ago

I love the new kitchen! I am jealous of your beautiful floors, and how you designed that backsplash to bump up over the back of the range! I was hoping to do that but my tiles didn't cooperate!

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

What a great new space! Love the backsplash - very original. Floors are gorgeous too. so open and airy - enjoy.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    13 years ago

Beautiful! Elegant and comfortable at the same time, and the floors and backsplash are gorgeous!

Becky

• holligator
    13 years ago

What a wonderful space you've created! I old kitchen looked very cozy, but pretty cramped. The new one looks much more comfortable and functional. I know you must be enjoying every minute you spend in there!

• francoise47
    13 years ago

You've nailed it: an adorable, functional, cottage kitchen! Love the honed Virginia mist and new wider arch that echoes the existing arch.

Are you happy with your Legacy Bertch cabinets? They show us all that one can get the cottage/vintage look without the extra cost of inset.

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Hi stevie...

I love the new look...the counters are so nice..and the dark floor too.

Oh, yeah, and I love the big pictures...the bigger the better!!

KA:)

• athomesewing
    13 years ago

Wow! That is an incredible change! Excellent Job!
    LOVE all your choices!!

• rjr220
    13 years ago

Beautiful choices -- that backsplash is HOT!

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

Love it! Bright, clean, cheerful, pretty and great use of space. Enjoy it!

• smiling
    13 years ago

What a great job! So pretty and inviting. I love the way the Virginia Mist goes with the marble and the stainless! Beautiful floors too. Enjoy!

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

Love how it all looks together. Especially love your backsplash design. It looks so different than the before first picture. Congratulations and enjoy your new kitchen!!

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

What a beautiful transformation! Love your paint color and what you did with the nook. Congrats and enjoy!!!!

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Very nice space and I really like the kitchen wall color.

• plumberry
    13 years ago

Nice job! Great transformation!

• numbersjunkie
    13 years ago

I'm so jealous of your VA Mist. Actually, your entire kitchen looks fabulous.

Was that your other post on the oil spot? I hope you can get it out - sounds like there are ways to fix something like that but I imagine it is very disheartening.

How do you like the LR6 lights? What color did you get? Those are on my list as well.

• stevie_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

numberjunkie, yes that was also my post about the oil spot. I think I've got some ideas and I'll share the results at some point. I read your post about not finding the right slab of VA mist. We ran into a similar problem when we looked: the swirliest slabs were the polished ones but we wanted honed. Were you at Luck Stone, too?

As for the LR6 lights, we love them. The dimming issues doesn't bother me because we have other lights in the room (under cab, pendants) that we can dim down more if we are really looking to create a mood. We went with the warmer light and I think they are great. Our electricity bills are way down since the reno (but that is really probably because of the new appliances.) Actually, wait! I just realized I have 2 extra cans leftover. You can have them if you want them. I bought too many, not realizing how bright they are and the lighting store wouldn't take them back. I would love for them not to go to waste, seriously.

francoise47, I am very happy with the Legacy cabinets. They were so much less expensive then the custom inset I priced (even in such a small kitchen) and they are gigantic step up from the horrible ones I had before.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

What a difference! Beautifully done!

• doraville
    13 years ago

Great job! I love the backsplash - which i think is the hardest choice.

• numbersjunkie
    13 years ago

stevie - What are your dimming issues with the LR6? I thought they were supposed to dim well. Also I see now that you don't have many lights. I have 8 ft ceilings and was planning on placing them about 4 ft apart as suggested for recessed cans. But my cabinets will be natural cherry and my kitchen is interior,open to family room with lots of doors but we live in the woods. My house is generally dark because of the trees.

Yes, I was at Luck Stone - is that where you bought yours?

Sure hope you get that mark out. Now I'm scared of honed because we're kinda messy...

• dreamywhite
    13 years ago

Fantastic kitchen!!

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

So light and airy! Looks so much less crowded. Love the backsplash and counters!

• stevie_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

numberjunkie,

The lights don't dim all the way down to zero. They go down part way (maybe to 30 percent) and then just turn off. In contrast, my undercabinet lights and pendants dim down as low as I like. This doesn't bother me but I have heard some people complain about it.

Actually the brightness of the lights is not the only reason that I have leftover lights. The LR6 are deep to install. One of the places that I had intended to put one was directly below the bathtub upstairs and there wasn't enough room in the ceiling. I decided I had all the light I needed and just skipped that light. That's part of the reason it looks like I don't have that many lights. Also it is the angle of the picture. I have 4 in my (small) kitchen, 4 in my DR, and 2 in my nook. 4 feet apart are what mine are over my DW/frig/sink area. One thing I do like though is that I put them on two switches. That gives me the option of turning on just two at a time if I'm just unloading the DW and don't need the place to look like a operating room.

As for Luck Stone, they have been incredibly nice about making suggestions about my stain. I haven't tried the poultice powder they suggested yet because I'm swamped with the new school year and all that but I'm hopeful.

• numbersjunkie
    13 years ago

stevie - thanks for the input on the lights. I'm still undecided about those as well. Luck Stone has been great and did manage to find some honed slabs for me in VA. Now I have to decide if its worth another road trip (just got back from a college visit 8 hrs away, so I'm not excited about another long drive).

• foosabear
    13 years ago

Wow! what a beautiful job! I especially love the color of your walls with your white cabinets, so fresh feeling.

Can you tell me if your Vinnata faucet is the polished chrome, or polished nickel? we've decided on the same faucet and we're having a difficult time choosing between the polished chrome or polished nickel, we cannot find anywhere to view the polished nickel one in person.

your kitchen really turned out lovely!

• theresse
    13 years ago

Wonderful job! I love the combination and coolness of the light green, gray and white. So light, airy and cheerful. Which is of course warmed up by the floor and table so that's nice too. I love that it has a period-appropriate feel (the multi-paned windows, coved doorways and the stools at the island seem to help with that '40's feel, too) and I too love the whimsy of those center lights. The virginia mist and marble add an extra touch of elegance to an otherwise sweet and charming kitchen. So cozy and inviting!

• claymaker1210
    13 years ago

Hi Stevie,

I really like your Virginia Mist Countertop. Did you apply an enhancer/sealer or sealer alone? I've heard conflicting information about whether one should use an enhancer/sealer on it from a local fabricator. He claims that it will look bad in a few years, but others on this forum have been very happy with it. I'm so confused!

• stevie_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Claymaker,

My fabricator used a sealer alone. I liked that look better than the darker enhanced look. But I must say that we now have a few rings and spots that you can see when the light comes in just right. I still love my counters, but if I were doing it over, I would consider the enhanced look more seriously. I believe there are other threads on here that deal with this issue. Check out posts by jeanteach I think.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH