Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ebean_gw

New Soapstone Counter LOVE!! (with photos)

ebean
13 years ago

Couldn't be more excited or happy! Our kitchen now has the most beautiful PA soapstone counters and as a very satisfied customer, I want to recommend the company we use. I am always seeing one other company mentioned and never the one we used. Our journey went like this:

I called a few Vermont soapstone companies and had a great talk with Green Mountain Soapstone. They gave my number to Vance Ebbecke - who worked for them for 7 years and had moved down to NY to a company called "Marble Techniques". Vance gave us referrals whom I called and we went out to see as soon as he called us to let us know he got in a new shipment. I have to say that their granite selection was astounding even tho we were there for soapstone. He and his crew were great about walking us through the process and moving around slabs. He helped us understand which slaps were from the same blocks - and would water down slaps (a few times over and over so we could make up our minds). They didn't charge by the slab but by how much we used. After we picked our slabs and before the templating, I placed a few nervous nellie calls to him and he calmly answered each and every one. Templater came and did very exact measurements - reassuring my gc who was on site - and a cad drawing of the kitchen. We worked out the carved runnels to everyone's satisfaction. We were told 2 weeks because they are very busy right now but ended up getting the counters 8 days later because someone canceled their appointment. I was on jury duty yesterday and my husband stayed home with the gc - and he said that they were completely professional and I came home to absolutely perfect counters. My husband said that our gc saw that one corner wasn't rounded (we chose an eased edge with rounded corners) and they took care of it right there. The one seam at the sink is undetecable unless you really look for it. Our GC told my husband that he was very impressed by them (and that's hard to do with our GC!) and that they made all the right choices in how they cut the soapstone - put the veining in the right places for the best wear and tear.

Here's their info: if you want to contact me, please go to my page and email me. I cannot tell you just how happy we are. Below are photos...and a link to our kitchen reno in general. Thank you GW'ers...if it wasn't for this site, we would never have had or considered soapstone counters. I'm in love!

Vance Ebbecke

Field Manager

Marble Techniques Inc.

15-30 131 Street

College Point, NY 11356

P: 718.204.5001 ext 3036

vance@marbletechniques.net

and now, the photos:

unoiled:

From Kitchen Reno

unoiled:

From Kitchen Reno
From Kitchen Reno

look at our new drainboard!:

From Kitchen Reno

1st oiling:

From Kitchen Reno

From Kitchen Reno
From Kitchen Reno

Here is a link that might be useful: Our kitchen gut reno

Comments (20)

• honeychurch
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

So pretty! Do you know what kind of soapstone it is? I love all the veining--in the picture of your first oiling it looks like a lightning strike, very cool.

Besides heat, one of the things DH is most looking forward to in our new kitchen is the built-in drainboard--he DETESTS the one that sits on the counter LOL!

• lfielder54
    13 years ago

Ebean, congratulations on beautiful soapstone and a painless experience! I'm gearing up to build a house with white cabs, soapstone counters and a Kobe hood, too. Please let us know how you like the Kobe once you get a chance to use it. Good luck with the rest of the project!

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

Ebean - Great color and love the veining. Congratulations!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Seriously pretty counters! I can see why you are so happy ;)

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Beautiful! Now we are all in love with your counters!

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    13 years ago

ebean, the counters are beautiful, oiled AND unoiled, and that's a stunning kitchen transformation. And so fast! No wonder you're so happy. Wishing you many happy years in the new kitchen : ).

Becky

• roseofblue
    13 years ago

CONGRATULATIONS, the White Cabinets and your Soapstone are truly beautiful! Really like your wood floors and the Hood, also. Just wondered, does everyone ADD the groovey Drainboard into the Soapstone counter? If you did not Add the drainboard, do you wish that it was there? Or does anyone wish that it was Not in their Counter? Does this feature cost any more? What size is your Drainboard? I imagine that they will have to avoid the veining for the Drainboard section or does this not matter? Hope that we will be able to accomplish all that you have done, before Thanksgiving! We are just ordering, this week! The decisions on our new, OLD HOUSE have been so difficult for us. Is it possible to do a Kitchen remodel with a tight budget, please Share Ideas, we really want the white painted Cabinets and the Soapstone and our Kitchen is just 13' x 10' - maybe I will start a thread on the budget & the long lasting quality, that we are all seeking! Thank you all for sharing the great pictures. roseofblue

• friedajune
    13 years ago

Oooh, beautiful. I'll second Honeychurch's question - what kind of soapstone is it?

• cardamon
    13 years ago

Really, so very nice. Love the soapstone and the cabinets and it was great to read a positive, happy experience with contractors. Good for you and hope you post finished pictures.

• ebean
    Original Author
    13 years ago

it's called original green mountain soapstone. good thing i grabbed photos yesterday...our gc covered all the counters today with paper and blue tape. i can live with that...rumor has it we're getting window frames tomorrow! thank you for all the sweet sentiments.

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Just beautiful stone, and I love the drainboard!

• sammiecanada
    13 years ago

Looks just great! Glad everything went pretty smooth for you...jury duty when your counters were being installed-how rude of them!

• ajhoop
    13 years ago

Just a quick reply about the drainboard...we ordered our counters from Bucks County Soapstone and decided to go with what they call their "Franklin" drainboard. It's basically just a hand-sanded slope. No sharp lines or cuts; you can't really tell it's there from a distance. We liked the "worn" look of this option. Yes, it's an incremental cost on top of the counters (at least for us). A few hundred dollars; can't remember exactly. We just got our water turned on yesterday, so haven't really been able to use it yet, but it looks nice!

• ebean
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@ajhoop: oooh...i didn't even know about this version. would you post a photo please? it sounds so cool.
    @roseofblue: the veins don't affect the stability of the soapstone and, from what i know, the pa original is some of the hardest for counters.
    @sammiecanada: it was rude of the city of ny to insist on my presence the day my counters were being installed. but 2 panels later and i was not required and got dismissed for 8 years. even i was shocked.

• joan2121
    13 years ago

Ebean,
    What kind of of sink is that? I like the ledge.
    Joan

• lascatx
    13 years ago

If I had found that stone 3 years ago, it would be on my island right now. That's what I was looking for and everything I saw had very dramatic veins or was in smaller pieces for standard counter depths. I love my Cambrian too. Enjoy!

• leela4
    13 years ago

It's beautiful!! Congratulations.

ajhoop-I second ebean's request-can you post a photo?

• mfhoop
    13 years ago

Sorry for the delay leela4 and ebean - we don't look at this site anymore now that we are finished! Here's a picture of the franklin drainboard. The closest side is the one that has it - it is subtle.

• lynxe
    13 years ago

ajhoop, our newly installed soapstone counter from Bucks County Soapstone has both the Franklin drainboard and Franklin edge. We also have a soapstone apron front sink, and what I especially love is how the veins in the sink seem to flow upward out of the sink and across the counter. The match between the two pieces is perfect. Our counter is gorgeous -- as is yours, ebean.