Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindyandmocha

New Pantry! pic heavy

cindyandmocha
13 years ago

OK I promised I would post some pics of my pantry wall. In order to have an island, I had to make space somewhere for pantry storage.

Below is a pic of my old pantry (next to nothing - 1 really deep cabinet on top and bottom next to the refrigerator.

After that is the new "pantry wall". Using the space between the studs, my dad-in-law and I figured out we could nicely fit 2 soup cans deep. I think the cabinet maker did a great job, and he even managed to carve me out some cookbook storage as well. The whole unit only sticks out 3 inches into the room.

Note there are a couple of fake doors yet to be placed up above the bookshelves to finish the look. It will cover up that massive header that had to be used.

Comments (13)

• katsmah
    13 years ago

Great use of space! It looks like a built in piece of furniture.

• jeri
    13 years ago

Ingenious!

Dang - How far apart are your studs? So, you didn't take up any space other than interior wall space - right? Truly a fabulous idea. It looks great and I bet it functions great too.

Congratulations!

• taggie
    13 years ago

Wow, that looks absolutely fantastic! Great job!!

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Great job...I agree...it looks totally built in. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Impressive! Love the effect of the tandem handles as a distinctive design element.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Great use of the space (and stylish, too!).

• cindyandmocha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Actually, there are no studs there now. That is why there is such a giant "header" at the top of the cabinets. Notice the thick header over the bookshelves? That runs the length of the pantry wall, but the doors go to the ceiling to give it a finished look.

The drywall on the other side of the cabinet is my dad-in-law's bedroom. The cabinet was built in right up against the sheetrock.

• artemis78
    13 years ago

Looks beautiful!! I'm curious, too--how far apart are those studs? (We have the same layout and trying to convince DH we should do something like this, but our studs are only 16" apart so he's thinking it won't give us enough space to be useful...)

Love how it turned out---such smart thinking!

• skit19
    13 years ago

What a great idea and so beautifully done! Could you share the name of your cabinet pulls?

• cindyandmocha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Artemis, I should have said we "removed the studs" instead of "went between the studs". That is why there is a huge header at the top of the cabinetry behind the doors. Using the header instead (it's a load-bearing wall) allowed the studs to be removed.

You can still see it visible over the top bookshelf. Faux doors will be going up there to give it a finished look.

That pantry is what allowed me to actually have an island. There was no other way it would fit. The back of that cabinet actually is right up against the drywall on the other side.

Skitdel, the pulls are from Amrock - Pull in Brushed Satin Nickel, model T-M536.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

great pantry!! you won't have to worry about stuff getting shoved to the back and being lost for yrs either.

it's beautiful.

16" across of shelves sounds good to me. several shelves like that would hold a lot of stuff.

• countrygal_905
    13 years ago

Great job planning the pantry. You will enjoy having that space.

• artemis78
    13 years ago

Ah, got it---that makes sense! (But sadly probably means it's a no go for us...we are trying desperately not to damage the original plaster and wainscoting on the other sides of our kitchen walls, so I'm guessing that would be all but impossible to do in that scenario!)

I seem to remember that our dimensions are very similar---we had the same dilemma with the island too. Skipped it in favor of a skinny work table in the end, but every time I look at your photos and your beautiful clear path from the door, I have second thoughts---so nice! :)