Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
needsometips08

The 'picture thingys' behind the cooktop in the backsplash

needsometips08
13 years ago

I have no idea what the technical name is - ya know, when you frame in a square shape into the backsplash using tile componants, and put different tile in the framed in area. Some people put murals there.....well, whatever those are called, do you think they are a good idea or do they seem outdated?

In looking at a lot of different pictures of kitchens, I've noticed that it's only a very small fraction that have them and I am wondering why. Do they make a kitchen look more cluttered or busy?

I am going to have a field tile something akin to travertine, but want to have cream crackle 2x6s in the picture-thingy cause 1) I love, love, love it, 2) it ties in well with the other 2 cream painted pieces in the otherwise stained birch kitchen, and 3) it's too expensive to use for the field tile and I don't think I want the whole thing to be shiny anyway.

I am strongly toying with putting a narrow shelf of some sort as the bottom of the picture-thingy to hold the salt and pepper and oil. So the shelf would sit about 4" higher than the countertop. A flat ceramic cooktop is in the counter in front of that shelf. Would that look good?

I need input. I could take and post some photos if it would help.

Comments (22)

• lyvia
    13 years ago

My wall is going to make a shelf behind my range. I don't know what to put there, as I won't reach over the burners to get things while cooking, and whatever goes there is right in line for tomato sloppage. But I have seen oil salt pepper there. Hmm. Maybe they have a secret force field that repels dirt.

• michiganrachel
    13 years ago

I think whether or not to do some kind of framed focal point behind the cooktop is a matter of personal style.

I personally am not doing any kind of focal point design behind my cooktop b/c I want to keep things simple in my kitchen. While I think they look good in some people's kitchens, they are just not my style.

Good luck with your decision!

• marcy96
    13 years ago

I think it's just a matter of personal taste. Here's what I did behind my stove:
    {{!gwi}}

• Jody
    13 years ago

I am also wondering weather to do a focal point (behind my sink, tho). I am thinking of 4 inch beige tile (maybe limestone) on a diagnol with a 4 inch row of glass stile in a subtle tone. I like this look and if I go with it, I will not use the focal point behind the sink.

Good luck on your decision. For the record, I really like the focal point behind the stove/sink.

• bill_vincent
    13 years ago

It can be anything from massive

to demure

ANY kind of accent always adds interest. As for how big or small, that's all a matter of individual taste. If you're renovating for your own benefit, then I highly recommend it. If you're thinking about resale, though, you might want to keep it simple.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

If you have the money, there are fabulous options out there. We live in an urban area where there are a number of tile showrooms. One in particular has samples of astounding choices in backsplash art pieces, from traditional European mosaics to modern art and everything in between.

You can also find amazing stuff on the internet, including E-Bay. Mexican! Spanish! North African! Local Artists! Big tile vendors and small! There are manufacturers who will turn a photograph or book illustration into a silkscreened tile mural for you, whether it's an old Audubon bird print or your grandchildren.

You can also build all kinds of designs out of component parts from Home Dept, etc.

Be sure to have a number of mentors in the selection process if you are not savvy artistically or in the total kitchen design sense. Or in the level-headed business sense. These adventures can be pricey and relatively permanent.

Take a look at Igloochic's chicken backsplash mural in the finished kitchen blog for a sample of what can be had on EBay. Here's her posting for the GW...

Here is a link that might be useful: Igloochic's chicken mural in some of these photos

• arkansasfarmchick
    13 years ago

I'm doing a tile mural of running horses behind my stove, framed in a glass tile mosaic that is kind of bronzey looking and compliments the color of the sorrel horses and dust in the mural, as well as my countertops and cabinets. It's going to be gorgeous and I don't care if it's the in thing or not because I like it and planned my whole kitchen around it. LOL

V

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I agree to do one if you "love" it and can afford it. It will make you smile and that is the goal.

• e4849
    13 years ago

I would think very long a carefully about what you put there. It is going to be there forever. Or until you take a hammer to it.

I have a "niche" behind my range. It is framed with a Walker-Zanger tile border, with the central area having a plain limestone 2 x 6 tile in a herringbone pattern. I love having the very simple herringbone in the center, with a border framing it. It reminds me of an old hearth pattern.

We had the kitchen all installed before deciding on the backsplash/niche. Was a wise decision, because I was subconsciously "processing" what I wanted in there all the time the granite/cabinets/fixtures were going in. When the KD and I found the tile, we knew instantly it was the right one.

(PS- I really don't like those pictorial murals - chickens, grapes,fish, fruit baskets, Tuscan scenes, etc. Personal taste, but I find it really dates the house and becomes to person-specific).

• arkansasfarmchick
    13 years ago

I thought houses were supposed to be person-specific. :-) I find it silly that so many people make decisions based on resale, but maybe I'm the oddball here since I intend to live in my house until they pry my cold dead fingers off the reins of my horse. ;-)

Here's a pic of what I'm using:
    {{!gwi}}

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

I think you should put in whatever will make you happy. If you think you'll sell within the next few years, you may want to take that into consideration, but otherwise--do what you want!! I'm considering everything from plain crackle subways all the way across to a mosaic of a great blue heron behind the stove (because those magnificent birds visit the pond behind our house in the summer).

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

Have you ever seen Smarge's backsplash art? It's spectacular!

• needsometips08
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Remodelfla, I LOVE smarges.

Arkansasfarmchick, I love your horse mural. It's unique and pretty.

Mine won't actually be a picture or a mosaic, just simple 2x6s in cream crackle with a different field tile.

I actually painted on my backsplash and drew in the bricks. I love it. It really helped to see what it would look like. My neighbor told me I should just leave it up there permantly, lol. It looks a lot better than the blank white wall, but won't be there permanantly.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

I had purchased a marble mosaic from a seller in Lebanon off ebay for my "focal point". I went over the colors very carefully with him. I confirmed that the colors on my computer were actually colors x, y, and z, and he said "yes". The mosaic, as pictured, was just perfect for my space.

The mural came very quickly for something coming from the Middle East, but when I opened it, I was really disappointed. One color was clearly not the color I had anticipated, and that is totally my fault. The whole color thing is really subjective and probably got lost in translation. The whoe mosaic, though, was "off". It looked like a very drab version of the photograph that was posted, yet it was supposed to be the actual mosaic. Of course, I wasn't taking into account lighting, etc. that always makes something like whiter, crisper. DUH.

Anyway, I tried to love it, but the more I looked at it, the worse it seemed. The white in it just looked dirty. The whole thing looked like it needed to be cleaned, and that was just the nature of the stone chosen for the mosaic. I knew for sure it wasn't going to work when Hubs said, "That just looks dirty. It's kind of hideous." (He has a way of cutting to the chase. LOL!) It was only (only?) $125, but it still was an expensive lesson for me. When I am looking for something so specific, I really need to see it in real life.

I sold it on Craig's list for $50.

• needsometips08
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow shelayne, that's a bummer. At least you recouped some of your cost.

Tile is interesting when you see photos of it online. I have had a couple samples in hand that I've looked up online to see what sizes they come in and am always shocked that the picture looks absolutely nothing like the thing I am holding in my hand. Maybe an accurate photo of tile is really hard to get.

• peggross1
    13 years ago

Here's a few pics of my backsplashes if that is helpful.

Over a sink that is not in front of a window.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Wow, Smarge! I love that tree! Can you show more pix, maybe close ups?
    I think the horse mural will be lovely and you are right, houses should be person/family specific. One can always take it out later on or you never know, the buyers may buy because the love the decor. ;)

• shaughnn
    13 years ago

Smarge, I am smitten! If I put myself in a box and ship it to you will you put me to work?

On the question of backsplash accents, here are a few different takes on those wide open spaces.
    This first says it's all about the backsplash (2 views)

This next has no formal frame, but uses the liner to define the feature area. (The grout is still wet in this picture and dried to a less conspicuous tone)

This one works with the hood to give it some foundation.

Here's your semi-standard "Picture Frame Cooktop" which carried the modularity of the field pattern into a color palette which pulled some cool colors out of the slab top. Too much of these colors would have been overwhelming. This was a very good balance of neutral and sizzle. (Pardon the blue tape. Just about to apply some color-matched silicone caulk)

Hope those help to get your inspiration seed stirring?
    Shaughnn

• coffeeaddict226
    13 years ago

I'd also love to see some close up pics of the tree backsplash! Being a horse person I love the horse mural too, wish I had one to put somewhere in my kitchen!

I won't be doing any kind of focal point behind the stove simply because after seeing so many awesome photos of them behind a fantastic state of the art range....it seems out of place to see one behind a regular stove, and a regular one I will have. (which is fine by me, I don't cook enough to require anything more elaborate)

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

wow shaughnn... those are some very creative and beautiful backsplash applications. I especially love the last one. Thanks for posting these!

• shaughnn
    13 years ago

Coffee, There's no reason to toss the idea just because you won't be buying a 60" Wolf Dual-fuel range. If the opening is large enough, then use it. I've installed some "flash frames" which I felt crowded the available space too much and likewise, I've put in splashes with no accents when I felt that they really were missing an opportunity. It's a matter of personal taste, and not cash flow.

Here's another to go with the list above. This has accent elements outside of the box, so to speak. (Pardon the water spots on the lens, please)
    {{!gwi}}

Shaughnn