Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katsmah

Slide in range with inset cabinets

katsmah
13 years ago

Yesterday I decided that I like the beaded inset cabinets too much to pass them up over $3K. So they are now on order. Deep breaths.

Last night I bought this slide in range from Sears http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02236903000P?prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType= but I am worried about how much of the side will show past the cabinets. The cabinets will be a creamy white and the side of the range is black.

Please show me pictures of your inset cabinets and slide in ranges.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kenmore gas slide in range with convection

Comments (11)

• Lisa B.
    13 years ago

I don't have the beaded inset cabinets, but I do have that same exact range along with creamy white cabinets (overlay). No pictures yet, but the black side does protrude about 2 inches from the cab fronts, the SS front is about 2 1/2 inches from the cab front. It looks absolutely fine though, since the range is meant to sit on the adjacent counters and "hug" the front of the countertop on either side. BTW, stove has only been in for about 6 weeks, love it so far! (Love my Kenmore SS dishwasher, too!)

I plan to post pics when my reno is done, getting there s-l-o-w-l-y but surely!

Good luck!

• blubird
    13 years ago

cupcake78,

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but perhaps katsmah and others might find the info useful.

Do the countertops (assuming anything other than formica) need to have any special edge treatment to allow the range to 'slide-in'? In other words, could you have an ogee edge all the way up to the range, or does the edge/corner near the stove need to be rounded in some way?

Helene

• Lisa B.
    13 years ago

Good question! I have granite, but for my counters it wasn't an issue since I have a pencil edge all around. I have no idea how it would work with a fancy edge. With the particular range I have, there would be a gap between the front of the range piece that "hugs" the countertop on the sides and the front of the countertop itself, if there were an ogee or other fancy edge. I can't imagine it would be super obvious though. Then again, I have a black/SS stove and honed AB granite, so not enough contrast in my situation to make a gap stand out. I believe there are other GWers who have granite w/slide in ranges who may have run into this challenge... maybe they will see this thread and respond.

• idrive65
    13 years ago

When I was looking at inset cabinets the cabinetmaker said he always makes them an inch deeper than the norm (so, 13" on top, 25" on the bottom) to make up for the fact that the door insets into the cabinet and steals space. You might check what the standard is for the cabinets you ordered.

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

I have the electric smooth top equivalent of that range that I installed in my kitchen last year. I replaced a free standing range as I needed to replace the appliances but am not quite ready to remodel the rest of the kitchen (cabinets, floors, countertops) due to cost. When I installed, I discovered that the edges under the control panel extended out (to the left and right) beyond the central core of the 30" of the range. As a result the range is pushed out from the wall at least an inch (maybe even two) beyond my cabinets. I believe if I notched the countertops, I could push the range back at least an inch. Not certain if you already have countertops, but you may need to do a special edge treatment near the range in order to push the range back further. I'm sorry I do not have any pictures (nor am I at home now). I hope this made sense so that you can at least discuss this with whomever is installing your countertops.

• katsmah
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the replies! Blubird, thank you for the question about the granite. I haven't even thought of that yet. We are going to be going to the studs so I need to ask the contractor how recessed I can have this range so it doesn't stick out too much.

Cupcake, thank you for the review of the range. I've always had good luck with Kenmore appliances and hope it continues.

Pricklypear, this will be a full gut of the current kitchen. I'll ask about notching the counter tops.

• dlr98004
    13 years ago

I have beaded inset cabinets with slide in range. We made our bases 25" to allow the range to slide in to where the "typical" overlay door sits (at 24 3/4"). If your bases are just 24, your range will stick out a little further. We also made the uppers 13" to allow for our dinner plates to fit inside. Both of those decisions were essential to getting good looking and functional cabinets. good luck.

• katsmah
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Diane. The upper cabinets will be 13", wonder if I should ask for 14" as the order hasn't been put in yet. I don't know if I can get the lowers in 25" without a lot more expense. As it is the cabinets are 50% of the cost of this remodel. And that's even with removing 2 walls and moving plumbing.

• dlr98004
    13 years ago

I feel your pain $$$. If you haven't done demolition yet, pull your current range out about an inch and see if you like the look - it will give you an idea of what it will look like. We wanted ours as recessed as we could because the oven pull handle (which sticks out even more than the door) already infringed on the walking space between the island and the range.

• dlr98004
    13 years ago

Be sure you check your DISHWASHER - it may stick out with your 24" deep base cabinets. Ours did so we ended up getting a Miele dishwasher - fully integrated. $$$$$ - but totally worth it!

• katsmah
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't currently have a range, which is part of the reason for the remodel. While I love the separate oven and cooktop, the kitchen is too small to fit them. Even with expanding the kitchen as much as I can, its still too small for the separate appliances. For 17 years I have looked at my wall oven and thought that space would be better served as a pantry.

I will be buying a Miele dishwasher and was trying to keep the other appliances reasonable. I know that I love the look of inset and will love the cabinets, but the gotchas that come with them are a PIA.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm