Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbcollins_gw

Pantry in a wall idea?

barbcollins
13 years ago

In the kitchen we are going to remodel this fall, it is a little small. I really think it needs a pantry, so I think I am going to do pantry within the wall studs. I might try to steal a few inches from the closet on the other side too.

Bouncing ideas around about the door. I was thinking about putting up a chalk board over the opening with hinges, but then thought it would be nice if is slid out of the way.

Thought about some tracks for sliding doors (like for closets). But then I either need to put up some molding or something to hide the tracks, that might look wierd.

I was wondering if we could use drawers slides. That chalkboard should not be too heavy and I see draw slides rated for 100 lbs.

My goal is to make it look like there is just a chalkboard hanging on the wall, and the pantry behind it a pleasant surprise.

Do you think drawer slides would work?

How wide do you think?

Comments (13)

• lascatx
    13 years ago

If it would work in your space, I'd say don't fight it -- flaunt it. Use the barn door kind of system with an exposed rail that the door hangs on and slides across. Could be really cute with the chalkboard idea (which I'm sure you know you can create with special paint).

If you don't want any exposed hardware, I would try to do the closet type slider with the trim acting as the framing on the chalkboard(s).

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

we had a laundry shoot in our old house that i hid behind a heavy, framed mirror in the master bath. the mirror was hinged on one side and opened just like a medicine cabinet, only without the shelves. this was also an effective way of hiding the code infraction from the inspector. there are some very heavy-duty hinges available so weight shouldn't be an issue.

• daveinorlado
    13 years ago

It will be very difficult to find rails that short. They may be out there somewhere. I have done this before in a more conventional way. We took matching plywood to the cabinet color and lined the inside of the wall cavity and used filler strips for shelves. I ordered the face frame and doors of a pantry cabinet and just mounted over the opening and it looked like a built in unit. Getting a chalk board the right size and the hardware to fit I would think is going to be a challenge.

• barbcollins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

lascatx - Yes I plan on making my on chalk board to I can size it right. I am thinking I should make it as light as possible, maybe out of luan.

Problem with the closet type sliders, it would extend past the chalk board cover. If I go that route, I would probably try to hide it with some sort of valance or trim.

kateskouros - Why is this a code infraction?

daveinorlado - I plan on making it wider than one cavity. Was told by a neighbor there used to be a door in the wall. We will be taking down all the drywall hopefully the old door will line up. If not we will frame the opening with a new header or leave the old rough hewn stud in the middle of the pantry.

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

A sliding chalkboard/door could be perfect. Not exactly the same, but same concept:

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

our laundry shoot was against fire code. i'm making a chalk board message board out of a custom cut piece of steel. covered with chalkboard paint it's a magnetic chalk board...

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

Cool pantry and door, circuspeanut! I had a picture in my inspiration file of a chalkboard and corkboard mounted on sliding rails like those you'd find on the sliding barn doors, only smaller. They were there to cover up the electrical panel, so not quite as large as you are talking about. But the barn door hardware can look really neat exposed, and I think is mounted on the wall. If I can remember which magazine I got it from, I'll let you know, but I think it's also online. BHG or CL or one of the other mainstream ones. You'd just need the wall space for it to slide.

• beachbum
    13 years ago

I think the picture you are talking about jsweenc is from Coastal Living. It was in their idea house.

They had the wall painted in chalkboard paint, a salvaged door mounted with barn door hardware, that slid over a small pantry.

I am using that as an inspiration for my laundry space--which is why I remember it. :)
    The barn door hardware I priced is about $400. It is made to be seen. My local hardware shop had something for $50 but it needed to be hidden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here it is on a blog....scroll down

• antiquesilver
    13 years ago

This is the link I saved for the barn door hardware.

Here is a link that might be useful: Barn door hardware

• barbcollins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Personally, I would like the barn door hardware, but since this is in a house we are planning to sell, I have to remember it's not what I like, it's what most people would like.

Do you think it's worth it to try to make the pantry a little deeper? The wall is probably a little deeper than 4 inches (old house) so cans, spices etc will fit. If I steal another 4 inches from the closet on the other side, I think it would make a big difference. But that means seeing a bumpout in the closet. The closet will be about 9 or 10 feet wide.

Any thoughts?

I also had another idea thinking about where to set the chalk. How about a small decorative cup screwed into the chalkboard. Then it could also be the handle to slide the door. Too childish? It is not going to be a fancy kitchen.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

screw an appropriate trough along the width of the chalkboard for chalk and eraser, not a cup

people expect a real handle, esp. for a space they access all the time without doing a lot of eye-hand coordination and no need for a grip, just a push

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

beachbum, I've seen that one and love the look, and that nails the pantry door idea... but that wasn't the one I was referring to. I found the house... the 2007 Southern Living Idea House (Tucker Bayou style). I couldn't find any online pics of the sliding panels, but I did discover that pps7 is building this house.

barbcollins, I've seen pictures where this hardware was used but then covered up with a valence-type cover on the wall. Not sure if I have any online pics or just paper, but I'll look. I'm not sure it would be worth the expense to bump out the wall into the closet just to gain 4". You'd end up having to layer the smaller cans and spices, and not sure it's a huge gain to be able to put slightly larger cans.

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

FWIW, I found my notebook and the page I tore out from the Tucker Bayou house. It may not be at all helpful, but since I mentioned it, here it is.