Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jugo_gw

Sapele kitchen, almost done...

jugo
13 years ago

Since we’re getting close to completion on our remodel, and it was a rare sunny day here in the NW, I thought I’d get out the camera and share some pics with you all. We’re about 95% there. Still have some electric work to be done, our hood has to be pulled out and reinstalled due to a minor manufacturing defect, and we’ve held off tiling the backsplash behind the range until that happens. But overall we’re thrilled with how things have turned out. I am grateful for the advice and ideas that I gleaned from this site, and wanted to share the end result to-date.. I’ll get more pics and details up sometime relatively soon, after we’re all done.

Briefly, however, our project started out with just trying to rectify a wonky staircase from kitchen to our unfinished basement and garage. In a previous remodel by prior owners, the door at the top of the staircase had been moved from straight ahead, along the axis of the staircase, to the side of the top of the stairs. This left an improvised “landing” consisting of a small triangle of wood sitting on the top stair, and the doorway opening up to the first, second, and almost third stair. Someone was going to get hurt with this arrangement, so we started looking at fixes. Despite a couple of years worth of brainstorming, we were unable to come up with an easy solution other than putting the door back to where it was supposed to be. This meant relocating wall ovens, and the dominos started to fall. Pretty soon, we were looking at a full kitchen remodel, converting a full bath (with a bathtub that was never once used in 5 years of living here, other than to house kitty litter) to walk-through pantry and powder room, redoing the staircase to the basement, and finishing the basement (new bedroom with ¾ bath, laundry room, workshop, and small wine storage closet).

The cabinets are sapele, done by a local custom shop. Some of you may recall a post of mine right after they were delivered (here: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0422395218118.html), in which I was freaking out about how much lighter the wood was compared to the sample we had been using to select other materials. The cabinetmaker was able to talk me off of the ledge and assured me that the cabinets would darken substantially with time. Indeed, they have, over just the last 2 months or so since they were delivered. In fact, the fridge and freezer door panels were installed only about 2 weeks ago, and had been stashed in a darker environ until then, and are substantially lighter than the rest of the cabs (though will catch up before long). There’s a pic of the freezer door showing that, below.

Some other highlights:

-We expanded the doorway off the kitchen going to back deck from French doors to a 3 panel bifold door that opens up completely, with a glass awning over the door and a space to put our grill. The deck was redone in this process too. Gives us a lot more light in the kitchen, great views of our small but pretty backyard, a much more functional deck, and allows opening up the kitchen to the backyard on those occasional Seattle days that allow such things.

-There is a long, 12’ island going down the middle of the kitchen, that is half granite-topped cabinetry and half wood �"top, using a slab of salvaged madrone from Urban Hardwoods in Seattle. The steel support for the table was fabricated by the same guy who did the glass awning over the back door.

-Countertop material we ultimately went with was satin finish seafoam green. We love it.

Here are some pics. Again, more to come at some point relatively soon.

Here’s the pantry, with storage for bulky things like vacuum (finally!�"we essentially had no usable closet space on the main floor of our 1920’s house)

Here’s the freezer door, on the right, next to two full height pull-outs. Note the lighter color of the freezer door, due to less light exposure over the last 2 months prior to it’s installation.

That’s it for now…

Comments (44)

• rjr220
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

beautiful! The color and grain of the wood is really exquisite -- it is such and inviting place -- can't wait to see more

Can you tell me about your barstools? Traditional, yet contemporary. Do they swivel? Very nice and complementary.

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

Beautiful! That is really gorgeous wood.

• jugo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks!

rjr220- The barstools were a last minute scramble, in preparation for a Mother's Day celebration (which was the first gathering in the new space). With decision fatigue having firmly set in, we just grabbed whatever was cheapest at Ikea. Those are 14.99 each. And we really like them. They might not last very long, but they'll buy us some time to find a longer term solution. They don't swivel.

• honorbiltkit
    13 years ago

Absolutely stunning in an elegant low-key way. The figure of the wood is just gorgeous. And having the option of opening your kitchen so generously to the out of doors is just magical.

Congratulations.

• westsider40
    13 years ago

Gorgeous. A treasure. Spacious, lovely, clean, well planned.

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

Wow!
    I love your kitchen! The wood grain is very unique. The table and chairs are gorgeous! Is that wood top connected to the island? Also, the granite is perfect and so is the backsplash. What is the backsplash? Looks like mini-brick but I can't tell the material. One more thing, LOVE the Boxer! Looks like mine. There are quite a few of them who pop up in pictures around here:)
    {{gwi:1897481}}

• marmoreus
    13 years ago

That wood is beautiful--I love the grain! Very nice job! I like your powder room a lot also.

• hely2010
    13 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen/entertainment area.

Can you tell me what the backsplash stone is? It looks like one of our choices (we have been staring at two for the past week). Also, what did you use to seal it (enhance or not?) Are you happy with it?

Again, beautiful kitchen. I can't wait until mine is completed.

• susanlynn2012
    13 years ago

I love the Sapele wood kitchen cabinets. They are so unique and have such a beautiful grain and color. Thanks for sharing.

• rosiew
    13 years ago

Jugo, Along with absolutely adoring the look of your sapele cabinetry, I'm really intrigued with the exterior bi fold doors. Would you please supply more info - manufacturer, etc. Also wonder how the glass canopy is supported. I'm so excited at the prospect of copying your look!!

• sw_in_austin
    13 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous. One of my favorite kitchens I've seen on GW. I love the wood, the grain pattern and the color. The greenish granite is perfect, as is the backsplash. And that island wood is stunning. I love steel so the door canopy and the island support completely won me over. Oh and the huge opening to the outdoors. Beautiful. Congratulations on creating such a wonderful space. Use it in good health (as my mother-in-law would say).

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Boxer babies are cuties!!!

Your kitchen is fabulous...the wood is indeed gorgeous. CONGRATULATIONS.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

OOOOH & AHHHHHHHH!!! Looks great. I really love your patio door, btw.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

That wood is to die for! I presume your cabinet maker made your bathroom vanity. It's exactly what I need. Do you know where you got the sapele? I think I will see if my carpenter will do your cabinet. I'm not sure where he's at with the bathroom plan since we aren't starting until July. How hard will it be to source the sapele? And how do you pronounce it? I don't want to look like a hick when I start asking for it.

• barthelemy
    13 years ago

Can you tell me what those pendants are ?

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

Just amazingly fabulous!

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

Love the linear lines of your cabinetry. Very nice!!

• jugo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, all for the feedback. It sure felt (feels) like a long haul, but we really are pleased with the end result.

Rookie 2010- The tabletop is connected to the granite via a steel trough. You can kinda see it in some of the photos--there's a rectangular vase sitting in it. The trough was our architect's idea for how to transition between wood and stone. We thought about doing the whole island in wood (Urban Hardwoods does sell some slabs that big) It would've been spectacular aesthetically, but not very practical. We definitely like the bomb-proofness of granite for actually cooking. We decided the split was a good compromise.
    The backsplash is from Carmel Stone Imports (www.carmelimports.com). I've been meaning to find out exactly what the stone is, but I'm embarassed to say I don't exactly know. The sample board says "Concept Board #52" (which isn't on their website), "Gray/gold Mosaic Brick Honed, 1cm x 3cm". Looking at their website, I think it is Jerusalem stone. I'll try to get a close up pic. They provide a nice neutral backdrop, but close up there's a lot of interesting detail in the stone mini-brick's.
    And yes boxers are great. Ours gives us a lot of joy. And the occasional pain, e.g. when he peed on the carpet in our rental house during this project (unusual for him), staining the hardwoods underneath, and necessitating a costly repair job. I'm looking at him now, cuddled up next to me, and all is of course long since forgiven.

Hely2010- see above. I think it was sealed, but I don't think it was enhanced. I will check with the tile people when they come back to install the rest of the backsplash. The granite was enhanced, which enlivens the color dramatically. We loved the color of the polished seafoam green, but the texture and matte finish of the "satin" finish. The enhancer brings the colors almost up to par with the polished version of the stone.

Rosiew-- the bifold doors were produced by La Cantina, a company in So. California. As I understand it, this style of door was popularized by a company called Nana Wall Systems, and I've heard a number of people refer to them as Nana Walls, even when produced by another company (a la "Xerox"). They can be configured in unlimited ways, and can be scaled up very easily. There are a number of manufacturers of them now. I know our contractor (or others we interviewed) priced out Nana, Marvin, La Cantina and another one I can't think of that I think is based in British Columbia. We got one made of mahogany on the interior and clad in aluminum (I think) on the exterior, in the interest of protecting it from the ravages of pets scratching the door to get in. It seems to be a very well-made product.
    The glass canopy is supported by a steel structure that is fixed to footings in the ground below the deck. The glass is 3 feet wide. If I had it to do over (at this early stage), I think I might look into making a bit wider, like 4 feet, maybe. But I say that without having any idea what the incremental cost or engineering implications would be. An extra foot would give us a bit more coverage while grilling (I think grill will be covered, and griller will be only partially covered as is-- we haven't yet installed the grill), and a little more room to maneuver when wiping down pets who have been in the back getting muddy.
    Initially, when our architect first proposed it, we had decided to NOT do the new doors/glass awning/deck, as we just couldn't see how it would be worth the considerable expense. But within just a few days after saying "Nay", we saw the brand new home of some friends who had a sort of similar concept (except with a covered area several times the size of ours-- really more of an outdoor room), and we then "got it." We're really glad we did it at this point-- just completely changes the experience of being in the kitchen space. Where those bifold doors would really shine, however, is a site with truly spectacular views...

Pinch Me-- I had never heard of sapele until we saw it at our cabinetmaker's showroom. It was undoubtedly the quickest decision of the whole, interminable process--both the S.O. and I immediately gravitated to it (VERY unusual). We've been pronouncing it "suh-pee-lee", but have heard it "suh-pay-lay" also. Not sure what's correct. I really can't speak to the sourcing of it--just know our cabinetmaker (Pete's Cabinet Shop, Everett, Wa) had access to it. And yes, they did the powder room vanity, too (and the vanity in our new basement bathroom). If you go to the link I included in my original post (cut and paste it--just clicking doesn't work), to a previous thread about our cabinets, you will see several links that others kindly provided with some info about sapele. Here's a blurb I just found through the magic of the Google, on a guitar discussion site:
    "Sapele (pronounced sa-peel-ee) is a hardwood which comes from eastern and western Africa, and grows in a range of climates from the Ivory Coast to the Cameroons, and eastward through Zaire to Uganda. Sapele (Entandrophragma cylindricum) is of the family Meliaceae which includes mahagony. Although some may refer to it as sapele-mahogony it is not a member of the genus Swietena and therefore is not considered a true mahogony by purists.

Sapele is a wood with numerous kinds of figuration; pommele, quilted, fiddleback, striped, blistered, wavy and has pieces which exhibit combinations of these effects. The best boards have a fabric-like 3 dimensional appearance. The color is similiar to African mahagony and it's strength is comparable to oak. Sapele exhibits a salmon-like color when cut, turning medium to dark red-brown as it ages, and is fine and even textured. Sapele glues and finishes well and has good natural lustre."

Barthelemy-- the pendants are by Bocci. link: http://www.bocci.ca/#/bocci-collection/ We purchased through ylighting.com.

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

I love your island and table space and am smitten by the glass roof.

The wood is gorgeous, but somehow, the stripes remind me of your dog....

• eastbaymom
    13 years ago

My husband and daughter are getting used to me talking out loud as I visit this forum, and they both wanted to see the kitchen, deck, and half bath as I emoted about the pictures. I've been scrolling up and down and taking it all in.

Refined and understated, combining new materials and old, with a true appreciation for craftsmanship.

Love, love, love, the wood with the light backsplash, especially with the undercabinet lights on.

And since others have gushed about the sapele, I'll rave instead about the salvaged madrone wood. With all those interesting grains to look at, I wouldn't care much if it was raining at our house!

We have seen many different species of madrone at the Berkeley Botanical Gardens and elsewhere in the East Bay, and so I have developed an appreciation for their twisted, resilient nature. To have a tabletop made out of that wood must just be amazing.

And now my self-interested query: Over by your sink, I see you have tucked a little microwave into what looks like a 12" deep shelf or recess. Would you mind sharing the microwave brand and other information? I'm still on the hunt for a microwave to hang under a cabinet in our kitchen, and yours looks perfect.

Also wanted to add belated Happy Mother's Day wishes!

• jugo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

eastbaymom-- Lucky for you, Urban Hardwoods has a branch in San Francisco. I was just looking at their website: If I had a bed that needed a headboard, and $9200 burning a hole in my pocket, then I know just what I'd get: http://www.urbanhardwoods.com/furniture/product.aspx?product=729&subCat=4&location=0. If you have an appreciation for natural wood, you really should check out their showroom.

And ahhh, the microwave. This was one of the minor snafus we encountered during the project. The microwave itself is nothing special-- a Costco special (Emerson brand) that was somewhere between $50-100 a bunch of years ago. We had decided that rather than do a built-in, we would keep it simple, and just build a shelf that could accommodate a microwave. As the ovens change over the years, the shelf should be able to deal with it. But we had (we thought) specified that the shelf should be able to fit the microwave we had. Not because this particular one was near and dear to us, but because it was not too big, not too small. When the cabs were installed, we realized that the microwave would not fit, because, as you surmised, the shelf is 12" deep. The microwave is about 17" deep, if I remember correctly. As best we've been able to reconstruct, a decision was made between architect's office and cabinetmaker to keep the depth at 12", because to make it any deeper would adversely impact the cabinet return (above and to the left of the sink, and to the right of the microwave), rendering it useless. The assumption apparently made was that since we had said we weren't really attached to that particular microwave, we could get a smaller one that would fit. The problem is that a 12"deep microwave is pretty small. For instance, a lot of dinner plates might not fit. So after some gnashing of teeth we decided to ask cabinetmaker to make a sapele veneer board that was long enough to support the feet of the microwave, and accept that the whole thing is going to protrude out of the space by 4-5 inches. This is a serviceable solution, if a bit inelegant. It does make getting at the cabinets above it a bit more difficult. We could put it on the countertop, but we'd really rather keep it off of the counter in the interest of not recreating the counter clutter that we had in our old kitchen. If we had been in the loop on this decision, we probably would have incorporated it into the island. It's the one thing that I keep shaking my head at, but I'll get over it. It's pretty well hidden from most of the room by the refrigerator next to it. I'm sure there will come a time, soon hopefully, when I don't even notice it any more. Right?

Here are some pics:

And a couple of the steel trough separating wood from stone on the island:

A few more of the madrone tabletop:

Some backsplash tile pics:

One of the dog eating dinner, confirming bmorepanic's theory that Jackson was, subconsciously, our muse:

And lastly, some lovely sunset light filtering through the kitchen this evening:

• michellemarie
    13 years ago

Lovely! I think I want your address to come over for a glass of wine! Everything just goes so great together! Congratulations on your new kitchen! It is amazing!

• darbuka
    13 years ago

WOW!!! The wood and design of your kitchen is spectacular!!!

Thanks so much for sharing!

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Am delighted to see such an impressive set of spaces, including that brilliant integration of inside and outside. Am also terrifically impressed by the aesthetic integrity of your project. You and your associates have great taste and have made an enduring asset out of that old stairway. You've chosen from fashion materials and from timeless ones and created an integrated whole.

I sure hope you have a lot of fun with it. Your friends and family who come to visit will leave with their spirits refreshed.

• doraville
    13 years ago

I remember voting in one post for the Nana Doors. Not sure if it was one of your posts. Great kitchen with lots of creative touches. It is unique in the nicest way. I really wanted folding doors for my kitchen but could not afford. Now that I've seen them in your kitchen, I'm quite envious!

• doraville
    13 years ago

I remember voting in one post for the Nana Doors. Not sure if it was one of your posts. Great kitchen with lots of creative touches. It is unique in the nicest way. I really wanted folding doors for my kitchen but could not afford. Now that I've seen them in your kitchen, I'm quite envious!

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

I mistakenly went to an old page (35 I think) and got the wonderful surprise of a link to your special, striking and beautiful kitchen. Even nicer than what is found in magazines because it is an unusual space. Uniquely contemporary and cozy, I love the balance and what seems like great function. I hope this bump allows others to enjoy your wonderful kitchen.

• lala girl
    13 years ago

Gorgeous, gorgeous Kitchen! The warmth and craftsmanship make your space so amazing. It really is incredible and so timeless - it will still be stunning in 50 years. Enjoy!

Sparklekitty - thanks for the bump, I missed this the first time!

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

Fahhh-bu-loussss

I love it all, and those doors, mmmm-mmmm-good. My sil& bil have ones that slide back and totally disappear into the wall. I just love that you can open up that space. Good for S. California (is that where you are?), not so good for mosquito plagued East Coast! I live vicariously through you!

Gorgeous space.

• eleena
    13 years ago

Wow, this is fantastic!
    Congratulations!

• marthavila
    13 years ago

I can't believe I almost missed this gorgeous kitchen! You have done a wonderful job all around. And I do remember your early post in which you were worried about the color of the wood. Well, it has certainly aged to perfection has it not? In fact, the whole kitchen is looking pretty perfect; a masterful meeting of form and function. Very, very nice! Congratulations!

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Your kitchen just makes me feel good!

• sochi
    13 years ago

Fantastic, what a great, great kitchen! I love that wood, the grain is gorgeous. The island is perfect as well, I love the steel trough. I agree with marthavila: a wonderful job all around. Enjoy your stunning space!

• jugo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all! With a month's more use under our belt, we really love it. I'll try to post a couple more pics next week, now that backsplash behind the range has been finished.

Beekeeperswife- We're in Seattle. Fortunately, mosquitos aren't a big issue here. The bifold door manufacturer does, however, sell a really cool screen that covers the entire expanse of the opened doors. Check out La Cantina's website (http://www.lacantinadoors.com) to see a video of it. They show it being tested with a full-sized punching bag being thrown against it, with no untoward effects. We looked into it, but unfortunately, the quote we got was quite hefty, ~$3k. We figured that was way too many dollars per mosquito encounter prevented, and skipped it.

• semi
    13 years ago

Chiming in late to add my oohs and aaahs to your fabulous remodel. The madrone tabletop just makes me swoon. I would be a useless cook in your kitchen because all I would want to do is run my hands up and down that lovely old tree!

Congratulations, enjoy and happy eats! And try to be mindful about how great life is without mosquitos! I would be carried away by the tiny beasts if I tried to eat outdoors these days!

Semi:

• Laurie
    13 years ago

What a handsome kitchen. Great space, great materials, great planning.

BTW, seeing how your cabinets come all the way up to the sliding door was very helpful for me. I am doing the same thing in my kitchen and I was concerned how it was going to look and this has reassured me that it's going to look fine :)

Enjoy your wonderful kitchen! May you have many fantastic memories and meals there!

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Just scrolled through and didn't notice whether I'd already commented or not--but who cares? Worth another, "Yowza--I LOVE it!" if I did post before!

Your kitchen is absolutely magnificent and I wish you many happy years in it.

Your madrano (?) tabletop is a work of art. I'm pretty sure Urban Hardwoods was one of the sites I'd looked at during my DR table search. If it's the one I'm thinking of, their work is beautiful. We ended up having our black walnut table made at a somewhat local shop (City Joinery in Brooklyn), which also allowed us to see it at various stages in person (from log/boards, to table!). I love the natural/free edges on your tabletop. We could have had the same, but opted to stick with straight/clean lines and edges to allow for more consistant dimensions from end to end (though our hearts are still drawn to ones like yours when we see them!).

Your cabs, granite, and that wall of windows are so perfect together. I know I would love spending the day there--I am sure you and any guests you might have feel the same way.

Again, enjoy it all!!!

• jugosea
    8 years ago

Well, what a nice surprise to run across this old post! I was just perusing GardenWeb and Houzz as we get revved up for another remodel, when a google search for “sapele kitchens” turned up this, my “almost-done” victory lap post. Please forgive me my moment of sentimentality, but reading through my post and the subsequent comments has me a bit verklempt; we are, as of this writing, only a few days away (probably) from committing to buy a new house, which means leaving this one, and our wonderful kitchen.

Much has changed in the 5+ years since this post went up: The backsplash behind the range was installed; the rather wispy red Japanese maple that you can see in our backyard in a couple of the pics above is now pretty robust and magnificent; we had to say goodbye to our beloved boxer a few months back (our “first born”); we have a son, an amazing 16 month old,who has, of course, become the center of our universe; we are working on a sibling for him. With a growing family, and frequent visits from out of town grandparents, we are feeling a bit cramped in the home we thought we would be in long term.

We found a new place in a lovely neighborhood, despite Seattle’s current crazy real estate market (after getting absurdly outbid on some places—like over asking by almost 25% of a big asking price in one case). It’s from 1907, was updated in the 70s and 80s, but needs a good overhaul. (I’ve tried to attach a couple of pics of the current kitchen but this interface limits comment size so much (~21k characters) that it seems that photos aren’t going to be an option. I’ll try to post some pics in comments to follow). It has served the current owners well over the last 45 years, but it is time for an update.

It’s certainly a first world problem, but it makes me sad to leave our current kitchen after having put so much thought and energy into it, and after it turned out so beautifully. It has been such a joy to spend time in it.

But the real reason I started writing this comment: I thought I would right two wrongs that I have just noted while reading through my original, ancient post:

1. I never once acknowledged by name our architect, who played a primary role in bringing our current kitchen to fruition. His name is Andrew Borges, of Rohleder Borges Architecture (http://www.rb-a.net/), and he was fantastic to work with. So much so, that we are teaming up with him again for the next remodel.
    2. I never posted any photos of the backsplash behind the range, as I said (above) that I would do. I still really love the tile that we chose—an etched limestone (I think) with a repeating dahlia pattern. As I was looking at Andrew’s firm’s website just now, I realized that he has a pic of our kitchen with the backsplash in view so I have included that here too. Here is a link to the image, in case I can’t figure out how to post it here: http://www.rb-a.net/res-montkit1.html

I suspect you’ll hear from me again soon, as I query the collective GW wisdom on this new project. And in 6 months or so, our current home (kitchen included) will likely be hitting the market, just in case any of you might be interested....

• jugosea
    8 years ago

weird formatting-- those two sections were supposed to just be indented...

I will try to post pics now.

The new house's current kitchen (i.e. the "before"):

• jugosea
    8 years ago

And the backsplash in our current kitchen

• countryatheart
    8 years ago

What a pretty kitchen. I look forward to following your new project.

• practigal
    8 years ago

I really like you new "before." Are you going to live with it first and decide what you dislike on an item by item basis or just gut it?

• LE
    8 years ago

Wow, I missed this one when it was new-- that came out beautifully! I love Sapele (and I'm also in Seattle). Are those stools from McKinnon? I think I sat in them a few days ago.

I hope you'll take us along on your new adventures as well.

• jugosea
    8 years ago

practigal-- the new "before" has its charms, but it's not terribly functional, particularly compared to what we've gotten used to over the last 5 years with our current kitchen. The plan is to gut it (taking down the wall you see in the 2nd pic, to open it up to the dining room) and renovate prior to move in. We'll see if we can swing it...

lori_inthenw_gw-- the stools are from Design Within Reach: http://www.dwr.com/product/tractor-counter-stool.do?sortby=ourPicks They're pretty, well made, and quite comfy (for a solid wood seat), though not nearly as affordable as the 14.99 Ikea chairs that preceded them. We really like them and look forward to finding a place for them in the new home.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville