Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesmis_gw

So Excited!!! Flooring is going in today!

lesmis
15 years ago

I'm so excited, we are finally moving in the right direction...instead of tearing things out like we have been for weeks, things are finally being put in. Today they put in our new "country/common grade) quartersawn oak floors and I LOVE them! Cabinets go in at the end of the week and then soapstone a week later! Finally a light at the end of the tunnel...for the kitchen at least!

Thanks so much to everyone who told me about their hardwood floors and helped us decide on the natural quartersawn oak!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Kat :)

Comments (27)

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Kat, those are gorgeous!

• marybeth1
    15 years ago

Congrats! They're beautiful! You'll love them, I love mine!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I'm so jealous. Great floor!

• timber.j
    15 years ago

They look great!

• erikanh
    15 years ago

Wow beautiful! Congratulations!!

• peytonroad
    15 years ago

I too have QS red oak floors, unstained as yet but I love them too. You will as well. Now did you get anywhere with the granite? I think it was you posting the same day as me reg the cost of your slab.

• chloe_s_mom
    15 years ago

that is one handsome floor - excellent!

• lesmis
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi and thanks everyone for all of the kind comments! We are exhausted from all the painting, moving things around and everything else associated with remodeling, but at least tonight I will sleep soundly knowing that my flooring is exactly what I wanted!

Peyton, our floors are quartersawn white oak, I'd love to see a picture of the red oak and see if it looks any different. I did post on that thread about the cost of granite, but I'm a soapstone girl myself like so many others on here. Our soapstone won't be in for a few more weeks and I really can't wait to see it all come together now that I've had a taste for things with my flooring! What stone did you end up getting?

Right now I'm off to move furniture yet again so that the window trim and more flooring can be completed. Our house looks like one big storage facility owned by really messy people!

Kat :) *dreaming of a finished remodel*

• katienic
    15 years ago

Your flooring is beautiful. And, I love your choice of paint color too!
    Looking forward to the next stage of your progress!

• originalvermonter
    15 years ago

Your flooring looks marvelous. I hope you put a clear finish on it because the wood looks so beautiful in its natural state. I know everyone has their own preference, but I like the light and airy look of a clear finish. Best of luck with the rest of your kitchen. Keep us posted with your pics. Its fun to look at everyone's progress and ideas!

• megradek
    15 years ago

WOW! those look awesome. you're just getting to the exciting parts - enjoy! and take LOTS of pictures along the way. some of the craziest shots I've taken have come in handy for various posts!

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Lesmis, your country/common grade quartersawn oak floors floor is beautiful! I can't wait to see more pictures as your kitchen renovation progresses. Thanks for sharing. Where did you buy such beautiful white oak wood?

• redroze
    15 years ago

Gorgeosu floors! May I ask what the paint colour is?

• rosema12
    15 years ago

congrats!! It is so exciting isn't it? we are not far behind. subfloors went in and should be soon.

they are beautiful!

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Very pretty!

• shelayne
    15 years ago

I'm drooling. That is gorgeous!

• lesmis
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Originalvermonter these are actually pre-finished floors that we ordered and had milled to our specs. They only have an oxide finish and so they will remain the natural color which we loved and thought would work well with two very active dogs (a border collie and an old fashioned farm collie). We also specified that they have a very low sheen. We had wanted site finished floors but living in the house during the remodel and having dogs made that out of the question. Satin finish on a floor is considered a "#35" finish and we requested a "#25" finish to make them have even less sheen. I think it worked out great!

Redroze the paint color is BM Heather Gray #2139-40. It is a really cool color and changes hues throughout the day. Sometimes it looks more gray and in the evening and with incandescent light it looks more green. It will go nicely with my special tiles I bought for behind my range. It reminded me of the sky when a storm is coming or the water when it gets all churned up with the wind. :)

I was almost in tears over the color as I had planned to use the same color we have in our living room which was a cafe au lait color by P&L called Maison Blanche, but when I put it up next to the window trim (which is the same color as our cabinets will be, BM Simply White) it made it look cream. I worked so hard to get a white kitchen that I wasn't happy and it was 15 mins before the paint store was to close. We had to get the paint done before the flooring guys arrived so it made for a very hectic night but it all worked out thankfully!

Thanks for to all for letting me share my excitement!

• bestyears
    15 years ago

Love your floors! Send the dogs in and get them to run crazy all over it. I'm dying to know how it holds up. In theory it seems like you have picked the perfect floor to hide wear and tear. No added color, so scratches should blend in and low-sheen which also helps hide imperfections. Please keep us posted on how you like it as you use it. I also love your description of the paint color. I'm going to go pick up a sample today because I only have 11,000 samples in the house, but I'm dying to see a color that looks like water when the wind has churned it up, since that is one of my favorite kind of days!

• tigger
    15 years ago

Kat - I love those floors! I'm really envious of the pre-finished floor also since we will need to move out while ours are being finished. We've stayed in the house with our dog over the past 7 months, so not looking forward to moving out and all the hassle. Oh well, that means that we are closer to being finished though :)

The color of your floor makes me second guess my choice also - we're going with a very dark stain (probably ebony) and having all the existing hardwood refinished to match. I hope it will be a nice change from our lighter floors, but I know it will be more maintenance. Our floors will be installed in just 2 days, but we're waiting to having them stained and the rest refinished until closer to the end - don't want to mess them up!

Good luck with the rest of your project - can't wait to see finished pictures!

• lesmis
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Traci29, I can't wait to see your ebony, I was really torn between going with ebony, I just love that look! But with one slightly neurotic Border Collie and a puppy, I thought they would have to put me in the nut house if I went dark. I have drooled over dark ebony floors though and would love to see pictures when you get your new flooring.

Good luck with the move out, sometimes I think it would have been a smarter approach given that we are playing musical chairs with all of our stuff as we move it from room to room. Today the window trim guy wanted to put trim in a room that has most of the kitchen stuff piled everywhere (thank goodness for kids in college so we have a place to stack stuff!). I opened the door and said, good luck, he wasn't thrilled but if you could see that room you would know that there was NO WAY it was going to be ready for him this afternoon. We have other windows he can work on so I don't feel too bad! ;) In fact I'll post a picture of it!

• katiee511
    15 years ago

Kat - that is so funny! Sometimes I wonder if we have been too accomodating to the workers and I run around moving things at night so they can have clear space when they are ready..... sheesh.... I am a sucker, I guess.

I really, really like your floors!! Mine haven't even been picked yet, so I definitely envy you! Glad you love them!

• tigger
    15 years ago

Kat - I will definitely post photos once the floors (and kitchen/everything else) are done!! Everyone may actually hear me scream with excitement if it's ever finished :) I may regret it since my dog is 13 years old and still loves to tear around the house! She has no idea that 13 year old dogs are supposed to be calm and sedate - haha.

I would swear your photo came from my house!!! My attic (and basement, and sunroom, and practically every other available space except for the bedroom and living room) looks exactly like that! About the moving out - my husband thinks we could fit everything into either the attic (where???) or basement and not have to move out!?!? I'm trying to convince him that's not feasible since if we move even more into the attic and basement, there's no room for us and the dog! Every single room on the main level has hardwood to be refinished and they will also be staining and sealing new floors in part of the attic which leaves the basement. Under normal circumstances the basement might work, but not if we have to use it as a storage facility also!

Anyway, best of luck with the rest - it shouldn't be long now until you're finished!

• lesmis
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Katiee511 we're suckers too, we have done the same thing, running around like chickens with our heads cut off to accommodate everyone who wants to be everywhere at once! As you can see from the picture we cleaned it out that evening so he could start in that room first thing this morning.

Traci, you are so smart to move out, I'm betting the fumes from refinishing will be overwhelming for the first 24 to 48 hours at least! Our 8 year old border collie thinks she's 6 months old too, what kind of dog do you have? Between our two dogs, the house becomes a race track several times per day! It should be interesting to see how they slip and slid on the new wood everywhere, including the bedrooms!

Our last house had much more storage space, this new one doesn't have an attic (they didn't use the right trusses) or a basement so we've jammed stuff in every nook and cranny! A friend of mine got one of those PODS during her remodel and we probably should have too...oh well too late now! Good luck with your remodel!

Bestyears I will post pictures after I see the amount of destruction two herding dogs can do to quartersawn white oak! Good thing they are both cute!

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

Kat, beautiful floors. And I know what you mean about paint making BM Simply White look cream. You picked a great color instead plus I bet it goes beautifully with your living room. don't you love when it all turns out they way you hoped it would? congratulations.

• tigger
    15 years ago

Kat - love the trim on the window. In fact, it looks almost exactly like the trim going around our windows and doors :)

Oh, the doggies are sooooo cute!! How in the world did you get them to pose for that photo? Our dog hates the camera (was fine with it when she was younger, but has become a bit neurotic over the years), so it's difficult to get good photos. Greta is a mix of who knows what - haha. Here's a not so great photo of her and one on the bed with one of our former greyhounds (Thor). The greyhounds (Thor and Odin) were both almost 14 (they were brothers) when we lost them - I really miss my puppies! Greta and Thor got along well and as you can see, would even lie on the same bed, but Greta and Odin were always at each other - both wanted to be Alpha :) Thor was much more laid back. But Odin was the one who followed me EVERYWHERE!

• lesmis
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Buddyrose, I hope it all looks great when it's all done!

Traci, your pups are so sweet, I used to have a Greta too! She was a German Shepherd and such a sweetheart! It's just gut wrenching to lose a pet, we miss each and every one of our "kids" that have left us.

I think having my two dogs has helped me get through all the moving and remodeling because no matter what is going on, they will always look at me with those big beautiful eyes and say "hi mom, I don't care which faucet you pick, I will love you no matter what!" Give Greta a big hug for me and tell her that she shouldn't be so camera shy with that sweet face!

Kylee *will my food be kept in the new kitchen?*
    Quinn *did someone say FOOD!!!*

• tigger
    15 years ago

Kat - you are so right that losing pets is difficult! We've had 3 greyhounds and I still miss them all even thought we lost the last 2 about 2 years ago.

I think it's the camera flash that bothers Greta - she doesn't like any kind of light in her face such as flashlights, etc. It didn't bother her as a puppy though, so the old photos are much better. I'm sure she must be part German Shepherd and possibly Lab since her brother looked exactly like a black Lab (they were strays so we have no idea - I took her and someone else took the brother).

So Kylee is the 8 year old and Quinn is the puppy? It's so funny how you can tell he's a puppy with those big bright eyes - puppies always look as if they are thinking of the next thing that they can get into :)