Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jumab

Finished Walnut Kitchens

jumab
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've been researching quite a bit (including on here) for different walnut kitchen cabinets. I've seen a few from professional websites but does anyone here mind sharing their walnut kitchen pictures so I can get an idea on the exact colour and panel ideas?

TIA!

Comments (24)

• saskgal
    14 years ago

Here is my reface with raised panel.

• peytonroad
    14 years ago

Saskgal jaw dropping gorgeous cabinets... I wished I had done them in my new home!

• saskgal
    14 years ago

Thank you peytonroad. Walnut is such a warm wood, we love our cabinets too. This was a diy cabinet reface, we ordered the doors/drawerfronts/veneer and all the crown molding online. Everything came prefinished.

• sochi
    14 years ago

Here are a few pictures of our natural walnut cabinets. The kitchen isn't quite finished yet, but we're getting there. Obviously we love walnut! I particularly loved how our cabinet maker 'book-ended' or matched the grains across the drawers. I don't think you can beat the gorgeous grain, plus it can work in traditional or modern spaces.

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

These are not in the kitchen but it gives you another variation of texture and color. These are walnut with a matte clear finish (my office). Sochi's matched grain cabinets set the standard though...they are perfection!

From Menlo Farmhouse

From Menlo Farmhouse

• tanem
    14 years ago

Sochi - I love your cabinets. We are also doing book matched walnut cabinets (grain running vertically). Where did you get your pulls? I saw something similar through top knobs. Thanks

• sabjimata
    14 years ago

Firsthouse and Saksgal...Wow! I love walnut. Which is why I go with a walnut stain on cheaper wood. Last kitchen was pine. This time around I am hoping for alder. Walnut is so hot and I love that it is a domestic wood. I am getting a similar doorstyle in my kitchen so I appreciate you posting pics.

Saksgal...really great for a refacing. Your kitchen looks terrific.

Firsthouse...so simple and perfect! Warm and lovely. You will enjoy working in that space, for sure.

Sochi. Whoa. Your kitchen is hands down one of my faves! Have you posted to the Finished Kitchen Blog? Really modern, really clean, really non-kitchen looking.

It looks very magazine worthy.

• sochi
    14 years ago

Mariposa - we haven't picked our wall colour yet, nor our backsplash. After designing the whole kitchen and in fact the lay out and design of our whole ground floor (big reno), I'm paralysed at choosing paint colour. What you see now is just primer. Do you think I should stick with white or go to colour?

Firsthouse - love, love your office, wow. Our office is on our second floor and hence not part of this reno, but I'm having serious office envy. Right now our office is packed full of boxes and crap we haven't sorted since moving back into the house three weeks ago. Ugh.

tanem - the pulls are from Richelieu, link to the website is below. I'll find the actual product number tonight and post it.

sabjmata - thanks very much, we're pretty happy so far. I haven't officially posted anything from this kitchen anywhere yet, it isn't finished yet. We have a counter problem (problem with fabrication, not stone) which should be fixed in two to three weeks, plus I have to choose a backsplash and wall paint colour. Plus we need to design an island (but that won't happen until the summer). All that aside, I probably will post pics of the whole kitchen this weekend as I ramp up my search for the perfect backsplash.

Here is a link that might be useful: cabinet pulls

• chinchette
    14 years ago

sochi- WOW! that sure beats my "before" cabinets which were fake walnut formica. Now I see what all the hoopla was about walnut. I love the bookmatch and the artwork, and how you put that all together.

• sochi
    14 years ago

Tanem - here is the link to the actual pull we used in our kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sochi's cabinet hardware

• formerlyflorantha
    14 years ago

Sochi,
    You have a real fan in me. Wonderful job of capturing the essence of a wood and making a kitchen that has a really distinctive presence.

• ponotte
    14 years ago

I found this walnut kitchen just browsing the web as well.
    Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: walnut kitchen

• John Liu
    14 years ago

Sochi, your kitchen is terrific. Please post more pictures when you are ready.

• jumab
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you everyone for your feedback!!! I was getting worried about making my walnut decision and everyone's put my mind at ease!

Sochi, I actually forwarded your drawers so that my cabinet maker understands what I'm after. Ponotte, I also took the idea of that website to maybe leave my top cabinet panels plain and not a shaker style I had originally selected but I do like Saskgal's shaker as well. I'm a little worried about my kitchen being busy with different panels and the grain. It's hard when you're building a new house and don't know exactly how much natural lighting is coming in.

Thanks again everyone!

• kaismom
    14 years ago

sochi,
    What cabinet company did you use? just curious...

Thanks.

• sochi
    14 years ago

Kaismom - I used a local cabinet maker here in Ottawa (Canada). If anyone is around these parts let me know and I'll give you contact information. He also happens to be my fabulously talented brother-in-law (lucky me).

• marcolo
    14 years ago

sochi, it's so sad. If only you had some taste....

LOL!!!!!!

You are so ON the magazine cover. And I'm BUYING it, baby.

• stjamesb
    14 years ago

Sochi, just want to say that the cabinets are beautiful and hello to a fellow Ottawan. I grew up in there and have fond memory of the city. What is your favourite place to shop for furniture and such there?

• stjamesb
    14 years ago

To the OP, I am sorry that I hijack your post to post a side message to Sochi. I was just so excited to meet another person from my home town and totally didn't think about post the msg.

• tanem
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info Sochi! I just saw your Quartzite on another post. It looks gorgeous! We are also doing a similar white quarzite on our island.

• beachlily z9a
    14 years ago

sochi, you make me feel better about my taste in cabinetry. I love the smooth, elegant, simplicity of your cabinets and that is what I want to put in my kitchen when we decide to redo. But, then, I love the clean contemporary look! Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for posting your pictures.

• sochi
    14 years ago

Thanks beachlily! I'm looking forward to seeing your kitchen!

Hi there stjamesb! There are a few places in Wellington Village (formerly mechanicsville / hintonburgh), plus in Westboro. There is a great mid-century mod place (Found Design) on Bank St. in Old Ottawa South.

Ottawa has come a long way, but is still a medium-sized city - if you want anything other than standard traditional stuff you might need to visit Toronto or Montreal to increase your selection. Given that my taste isn't totally mainstream I had to use the internet extensively and visit both Montreal and Toronto. Fun day and weekend trips though!