Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boxerpups

Sochi, I found that tile and picture

boxerpups
14 years ago

Hi Sochi,

I found the tile and image it is on HGTV.

I hope I am not being a pest. It took me a little longer,

our GW site was missing posts. Here it is.

Hope this helps.

~boxer

The link to the HGTV

http://www.hgtv.com/dream-home/kitchen-photos-hgtv-dream-home-2010/pictures/page-2.html

The original link from the post to help with basksplash

ideas..

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0311170417336.html?4

Comments (14)

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Sochi: Are you looking for the metal rimmed tile? Ann Sacks also carries it and I REALLY wanted it for a while....until I found out the price--yikes, can't afford a whole wall of it. Thought about interspersing it, but wasn't quite what I had wanted.
    {{!gwi}}From Granite

And it comes in all these colors, in addition to different shapes and sizes (lge square, sm square, rectangles, etc--even in a pillow shape with a colored circle in the center):
    {{!gwi}}From Granite

• boxerpups
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bump

• sochi
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting and bumping Boxerpups, that is fantastic. It is a lovely and unique tile, I love it.

Firsthouse, I found it on the Ann Sacks website - $135 per square foot! Gulp. I love it, but not that much I'm afraid. I fell for the Heath Ceramics oval backsplash ($77/sqfoot), but was hoping to find something a little more affordable that I loved - but I'm going in the wrong direction! More research in store for me I guess.

Here is a link that might be useful: heath ceramic oval

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Sochi: Ann Sacks...Yeah I LOVE it, absolutely LOVE it! I unfortunately need to spread my budget through an entire house remodel and couldn't quite swallow the price. I tried interspersing it with white subway, glass tile and figuring out maybe just behind the range, but in the end, it fell short just because I had dreams it would cover my ENTIRE kitchen backsplash. I thought I'd use the various gradations of white/gray in the midle. It ended up being cheaper and easier to use the same granite for my backsplash as my counter. I never did find "the perfect" tile for the backsplash and since I already have a "clean" fixation, the granite seemed a great choice. LOVE your Luce di Luna!!!!

Also really love the oval Heath tiles. Did you look at the Walker-Zanger Moderne collection? I thought that was much more affordable than the Ann Sacks. The circles could easily go with your fluid waves on the counter. Or some of the Oceanside tiles that are set stacked rather than subway?
    Here are some ideas:
    {{!gwi}}From Granite
    Wood tile backsplash?
    {{!gwi}}From Granite

Stacked tile by Oceanside?
    {{!gwi}}From Granite

Silvery brown tile?
    {{!gwi}}From Granite

• sochi
    14 years ago

Firsthouse, thanks so much for all the inspiration! Given how similar our counters are, I'm very interested in the tiles you considered. Funny I thought that since my counters are really a whitish grey, that I couldn't then do a white backsplash. My fear was that a real white would reveal that my counter isn't really white, but I love some of the choices you considered here.

I had dismissed glass mosaics, but your pictures and a few backsplash threads live right now have me reconsidering. I have looked at the WZ moderne collection. I like the oval pattern linked to below, plus the large circle tile - not sure that size would work in my kitchen, however. I'm going to revisit WZ and the Oceanside stacked option.

I'll probably post soon with an official request for more backsplash help, but you and boxerpups have definitely set me in the right direction, thank you again!

Here is a link that might be useful: WZ oval

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

And check Porcelanosa too. Found their stuff to be more in the $25 range, ooodles better than Ann Sacks.

Just some more random pictures that might create an inspiration:
    {{!gwi}}From Granite

{{!gwi}}From Granite
    Bad pic--this is actually really white!
    {{!gwi}}From Granite
    Porcelain tile that looks like rusted metal? Very modern!
    {{!gwi}}From Granite

• malhgold
    14 years ago

Sochi - seems like we have very similar taste. I too love the Studio moderne line and the Heath Oval, but can't commit to that pricepoint as I need 40 sq. ft. Looking forward to seeing what else you come up with. I might take a ride to a Porcelanosa showroom today. Keeping fingers crossed! I'm so done with this backsplash thing!!

• sochi
    14 years ago

malhgold - too funny. I've been diligently following your backsplash posts since January hoping I can piggy back on your choice! I think we do have similar taste - your kitchen has been one of my main inspirations over the past few months. I will keep you posted on what I find - please do the same!

Depending upon how far up I extend my backsplash, I may end up needing a similar or greater amount of backsplash. Given this, price (sadly) does matter!

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Sochi:
    The more I look at and admire your drop-dead, amazing, fabulous, gorgeous cabinets and kitchen, the more I think maybe you should put in something really elegant...Chalk White matte finish tile? In 2x8 or something larger? The Ann Sacks one is really pretty...maybe in something plain, it won't be quite as pricey?

• malhgold
    14 years ago

sochi - saw your kitchen progress pics. It looks amazing!!! Love the counters and the cabinets. A very modern elegant look. I agree 100% with firsthouse's assessment. I actually went to Porcelanosa yesterday and am waiting for a sample of the second tile in firsthouse's post from yesterday(the one she says is actually white). We'll see...i think it's too dressy for me, but could work for you. Not sure if you have a Porcelanosa showroom near you. It was quoted at about 12.75 sq/ft.

If only I could decide if I want "shimmery" or "industrial" I'd be all set!!

Good luck!

• sochi
    14 years ago

Thanks for the input firsthouse and Malhgold. My instincts lean towards something like that Heath Ceramics oval, I think you'd call that elegant - definitely chalk white matte finish.

I'm also seriously considering coloured glass or back-painted glass. I fear that the kitchen is a little too 'elegant' and formal, perhaps I should add some whimsy? Some fun? Brightly coloured circles? Or would that be too jarring? See the link for an example of what I'm thinking - scroll to the right and check out the fifth picture, it is called classic sphere.

The only thing I don't want is something too 'sleek' - I'd like to keep the kitchen fairly warm. I haven't even shown a picture of the other run with the stainless counter, but I have enough stainless I think.

Anyway, I'll post more pics this weekend. In the meantime I will check out Porcelanosa.

Thanks again!

Here is a link that might be useful: Classic Sphere

• marcolo
    14 years ago

sochi, your kitche n lines are very sleek with a lot of smooth horizontal movement, so far. You can't ignore it. You can go with it, or counterbalance it, but I honestly think that Moroccan thing is just fighting it.

I think your choices so far, by the way, are BOTH sleek and elegant, as well as warm and inviting. That's why I love it. Keep going in that direction.

• marcolo
    14 years ago

BTW, sochi, your backsplash clearly needs to be from the Walker Zanger Studio Moderne line. The website won't let me post, but go look at the online catalogue. It's you.

• malhgold
    14 years ago

Sochi - I saw the photo of your kitchen that you posted on the "walnut" thread. Wow!!!! Those windows are stunning! Your whole kitchen is stunning. Maybe you should start a new thread with all the pics you have if you're looking for help. Before I saw the pic with the stained glass windows, I would've definitely said you need sleek or "dressy", but I think the windows can help you take it in the "warm" direction you're looking for.

Unbelievable kitchen! Definitely one of my favs! I love the chrome lights you have hanging near the wall. Where are they from?