Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azmelt_gw

Leather/Satin finish on Volcano granite (pic)

azmelt
14 years ago

I'm having a hard time deciding on a granite for my pure white cabinets with an espresso island. Have been seriously considering Delicatus (white/cream/black and brown), but it doesn't seem to have much "pop". Today we saw volcano--see picture below. A couple of slabs were finished in "leather" or a satin finish, and they felt so sensuous! (I've been at this too long, I can tell.)

Anyway, I have 2 questions:

1. Does anyone have experience with or know any details about the advantanges/disadvantages of a leather finish? The saleslady said it's as tough as a polished finish. It's more textured, but I was thinking that the soft look might tone down the bright white of my cabinets.

2. Do you think that a granite with such a powerful pattern would be OK on all my counter tops (medium size kitchen.) Also, any thoughts on whether the colors in volcano are going to be OK in my kitchen.

Thanks for any feedback I can get. I trust the judgment of people on this forum.

Comments (8)

• hokie80
    14 years ago

It's beautiful! I don't know anything about that particular granite or finish, but I have a medium kitchen with a granite with a lot of color and movement and I love it- wouldn't change it for anything!

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

I love movement in granite and that is one powerful looking piece of stone. I don't think it would be too much with your cab choices.

• jeanteach
    14 years ago

I think that granite is gorgeous! I have a honed finish on my Jet Mist and it is very soft. I love it. I say go for it!

• riverspots
    14 years ago

As I like Corian for its silky touch and uniformity, I think use of granite is at its best when it has dramatic color and movement, especially if you have an island to display it. For bold colors like this one, I do prefer crisper look the glossy finish gives-it shows off the nuances within the stone better-like polishing a precious gemstone.

• azmelt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good point about a glossy finish. Have the leather/satin finishes been around for long? I don't believe I've ever seen it in anyon's home.

• chicagoans
    14 years ago

I have a friend with a leather-textured, dark granite island counter. It's very dramatic. The perimeter counters are all honed. I like that the leather finish is a focal point rather than all over. (She has a very large kitchen.)

I could never get a definitive answer from the fabricators regarding whether honed is as tough as polished (I asked a couple sources, plus a KD friend.) My sample had polished on one side, honed on the other. I scratched both sides with a key and let red wine sit overnight on each side. The polished side showed nothing, but I could see the marks on the honed side. Certainly that's NOT a universal or definitive test -- it was just one sample piece -- but it prompted me to get polished. See if you can get a leathered sample from your fabricator.

Regarding your granite above - it's gorgeous!

• bostonpam
    14 years ago

This is a "wow" - I love this granite. I was seriously considering something similar - magma - but it was too dark for my kitchen. I think it would look great with your choices. Remember, the granite won't be as strong in your kitchen because it will be horizontal surface compared to viewing the slab at the yard. I don't know anything about leather finishes.

• scrappy25
    14 years ago

Gorgeous granite, goes great with the cabinet doors you have chosen.

Can I ask the details on your espresso cabinet doors? It's just what I am looking for!!