Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sabjimata

anyone have pics of OLD white marble counter tops?

sabjimata
14 years ago

i thought i posted this but now cannot find it...i am still new so forgive me if i am missing something...

does anyone have pics of all the lovely old italian and french white marble kitchens...that show the lovely patina of the tops? old pics of u.s. bakeries or soda fountain shops with white marble tops?

or...anyone have 10+ years on their carrera or calcutta tops and want to share how they look?

thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: not a useful link...just my blog

Comments (10)

• missmuffet
    14 years ago

I'm also very interested in seeing these pictures. I love the look of marble, but am afraid to use it. My parents had marble walls on the sides of their bathroom tubs and after about 20 years they began to yellow. I know that 20 years is a long time, but yellow didn't look great.

• sabjimata
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lol...i totally want carerra. i would get soapstone if i could. in my last house we remodeled and i got cobra soapstone which was great. i would recommend it to anyone and everyone.

our last house was in PA. now we are in florida. i am going to get a cobra sink made and shipped down here but soapstone down here would cost us too much for counters....over $100 more a sq ft than carerra. but carerra is my #2 choice and i love how it looks.

but...i cook for reals and i know "patina" is my destiny. but still...i don't know if i am prepared for "the big one!" like an 8" turmeric stain or whatever.

on the plus size..the cost here is about $44 a sq ft. it's beautiful. it's natural. it doesn't contain any toxic resins or formaldehyde or radon. i can live with some wabi sabi and if we sell 20 years from now and it looks like crap, i guess we will have to replace it w/new marble to get it ready for the market. who knows!

i just want to see some pics ;)

• kaismom
    14 years ago

This does not help but...
    When I was in Israel and Europe, I noticed marble and stone steps that were so worn that the centers were about 1/2 of the height of the sides where people do not tread. Talk of patina, this WAS AMAZING!
    I recently saw a picture of totally modern European kitchen with antique worn down butcher block coutner.

• igloochic
    14 years ago

Are you interested in bathroom counters? I have several white and tan marble countertops that are over 120 years old, finish dull, etc (and I love them this way LOL) I can snap some close ups if they'll do. In my experience they look much like the countertops you see in old homes in europe.

• sabjimata
    Original Author
    14 years ago

kaismom...lol you're right...that doesn't help! ;) but it sure was interesting to read.

igloochic--sure i'm interested!

trailrunner--thanks for posting. what a great deal. your marble looks like heaven!

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

sabjimata... I don't know where you got soapstone quotes from but I didn't think it was more expensive by that much down here. Since your in Fl... you really really really should get a quote from Florida Joshua (our resident soapstone expert). He does amazing work, has traveled to forum members homes to help/do work, and is located out of Punta Gorda. When I was considering ss he was going to come to me (with a travel charge of course) and I live outside of Ft. Lauderdale.

• sabjimata
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks, remodelfla...i talked to joshua today. did you have your tops done by him? i think i may still get marble, though, since i would have to rethink everything to go with the darker tops. and i am done thinking ;)

• sabjimata
    Original Author
    14 years ago

while looking around on the forum i found this post with pics of bunglogirl's "lived in" marble tops. not bad looking at all!

Here is a link that might be useful: bunglogirl's marble

• plusterri_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I am building a rustic log home in teh poconos, pennsylvania. I am looking for the old white marble for my counter. The one like we would see in teh old ice cream parlors anad butcher shops If any one knows where I can find that in that area, would appreciate the info