Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heart_of_dixie

Need input on wood countertops

heart-of-dixie
14 years ago

I am now thinking of wood countertops and need some

input.

Does anyone have them other than on islands?

If yes, do you like them?

What are cons to wood countertops?

Thanks!!

Comments (20)

• User
    14 years ago

I have teak countertops in an "L" shape that includes my cooktop area and sink. I love them and would not change a thing. They are 4 years old and so far no drawbacks. I sealed them myself with Waterlox. They are subjected to lots of abuse and water and they are the same as they were when they were installed.Here is a pic of the area...cooking area:

sink area and closeup:

If I can answer any other questions please ask. c

• allison0704
    14 years ago

I have them on my island (antique pine) and coffee station (new pine). Sink is in island. We've also been in just over 4 years and no problems. The island is finished with Good Stuff For Wood. I wouldn't do anything different:

Here is a link that might be useful: My kitchen photos

• mfrog
    14 years ago

I've put wood counters in two houses now, I love them. The ones I have now, oak, I finished myself using a combo of tung oil & polymerized tung oil. Sorry the first pic is when we were in the midst of kitchen reno. The first two pictures are of the oak with tung oil.

The last last pic is of the beech with mineral oil.

The one in my last house was beech finished with mineral oil. I had no problems with the mineral oil but I didn't like the look.

{{!gwi}}

{{gwi:1559977}}

• furletcity
    14 years ago

We installed cherry butcher block on our island and love it! It feels very comfortable when you're sitting at it.

{{!gwi}}

• theresse
    14 years ago

I'm VERY sad that we've decided not to do wood. I want the look so badly because I'm sure it was the countertop material that was originally used in our old house; here in the N.W., there was an abundance of wood so it was what was usually found, unlike soapstone in Vermont, for example.

Anyway, what's stopping me is that the Shaws fireclay farm sink I want doesn't have a built-in backsplash with holes for a faucet. If I could have that, I could prevents water damage from water dripping every time I go to turn off the faucet after having wet hands (between all of us washing hands, and my washing hands more than most, that's a lot of water dripping for someone who will definitely resent having to dry up the water after each and every time it drips). The thing is, I want - for the first time in my life - to have an undermounted sink. I'm LONGED for years to be able to just wipe everything on the counter straight into the sink...OMG I can't wait! But all the vintage style farm sinks that have backs on them appear to be the overmount kinds of sinks. :( If I"m wrong, please, someone correct me!

Trailrunner - that's such pretty wood. What kind is it? I like that if you caused water damage if would be minimal due to only needing to replace that small strip of wood over the back. I'm wondering now if they have a white sink like yours? One could always order just enough extra wood to have a spare in case of water damage. ;) Also trailrunner - how often do you dry up that area if it gets wet from people's hands dripping over it? Are you vigilant that way, or do you completely neglect doing so, or somewhere in between?

The only other concern I had about wood countertops is that I was afraid that if I ordered some beautiful wood based on a small cutting-board sized sample in the store, it might arrive looking totally different. By that I mean that I'd be very disappointed if the edge-grain countertop I envision were to arrive too stripy/contrasty, since I like a more uniform color on a wood countertop. Anyone know how to avoid that, without paying a thousand more for hand-sellection? I liked Brazilian Cherry (certified) - also known as jatoba - because it was a deep enough color that it reminded me of all the old original fir countertops (darker color) that I've seen in the old houses in my neck of the woods - only the jatoba is extremely hard and durable.

• User
    14 years ago

It is teak. I have never thought about the water dripping on it. The way the handles on the wall mount Chicago faucet are configured my wet hands really aren't over the strip of wood at the back.I just flip the handle up or down with the side of my hand or a fingertip. That strip looks like it did when installed. I think you are worrying too much :) My sink is an antique soapstone sink from NH. I would try looking around at local cabinet maker's shops or furniture maker shops or on line at completed tables and countertops on your chosen wood. You really will see what it will look like and shouldn't have any bad surprises when you get your wood. Good Luck. c

• PoorOwner
    14 years ago

We leave a towel under the handle to wipe up any water droplets after using, it's like an OCD habit for me but I understand the inconvenance. Later I will add an acrylic shield so that we can be a bit lazier. The waterlox is very good against water, I didn't realize the towel was soaking wet due to winter weather now, and it doesn't affect the wood under it. I am wiping more to clean up water at the bead of silicone between the wood and the sink as I don't want mildew to grow there.

Honestly even if you have stone counters and you don't wipe up any drops of water it will look gross quickly too. although no physical damage is done to the granite i found it hard to remove the water minerals and restore the shine.

One thing I like most about the wood is the sound is very quiet when you set something down, and it is not cold if you just wanted to lean on it or put your hands on it.

• heart-of-dixie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

WOW these countertops are all so beautiful. Thank you for posting the pictures.
    Poorowner, what kind of sink do you have? I am interested in a sink just
    like yours.

If money is no object, which is better wood or granite? I have not price shopped so I am clueless to the costs of each.

• Gena Hooper
    14 years ago

We have IKEA Lagan countertops (the thinner ones) and finished them ourselves with Waterlox. I love them!! We've only had them for a couple of months, but water beads up beautifully on them. We are a very messy family of five, and the counter seems to handle everything. No problems. I was set on soapstone for my forever kitchen, but now am considering doing the thicker IKEA countertops.

• theresse
    14 years ago

Trailrunner - I wouldn't worry either, if I had teak! ;) Isn't teak supposed to be naturally water-resistant but way more expensive wood re. countertops? If it's affordable (for me), that changes things!

• PoorOwner
    14 years ago

heart-of-dixie, my sink is called Vigo farmhouse sink.
    Sorry, money is always an object for me :(

• User
    14 years ago

My teak was not that expensive and a lot less than granite. It doesn't have bookmatch or anything fancy about it at all. It was the last according to my cab guy so I got it at a good price. I like it and no one seems to care that it isn't extra fancy. I would talk to your local person that is going to make it for you and see what they can find in the way of wood. I love having something different...granite is everywhere and too busy for me unless it is the plain black with tiny sparkles in it. Also as was stated before it is warm and not loud both major considerations for me. Anyway....just look and see what you can find....also you can do more than one surface...I have teak, soapstone and marble and my island is butcher block :)

• heart-of-dixie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I need to proof read my posts better. Money is an object for me but I want to decide on the countertop that is
    the most practical as far as usage for me and then
    look at prices. My husband is a wood worker and said
    he could build the countertops. I just want to make
    sure that wood is a good option. I am not a big
    granite fan but it is so popular that I thought I was
    missing something. Granite is too busy for me for the most part.

• kdlarue
    14 years ago

If you are getting a wood top, I would definitely finish it with Waterlox (on both sides) or some other type of waterproof/food safe finish. We installed butcher block with just a mineral oil finish 4 years ago. I love it on our peninsula but we are now going to replace the counter around the sink area with soapstone because of the water issue. My husband and I really tried to be diligent about oiling it all the time around the sink, but it became much too challenging with raising 3 small kids as well! Metal rings also happen if you leave a can on the counter too long so it became a stress for us. At family parties, people try and help with the dishes and then there are water spots everywhere, despite recently oiling it! The mineral oil finish was just too tough to maintain around water.
    HTH!

• pirula
    14 years ago

theresse, if you're going to worry about it all the time to the point that it will affect your enjoyment of it, then you shouldn't get the wood counters.

But I have them throughout my kitchen. I have two undermount sinks. It's been over three years with absolutely ZERO problems or water damage. I am also OCD about wiping water drops but not because of wood damage. It's because the form spots that drive me nuts (again OCD). In other words, the water just sits there beading, until it dries. The spots wipe right up. I clean water when it spills on them, but the two men in my life do not.

American cherry treated with several coats of pure tung oil cut with some citrus solvent

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood counters...

• PoorOwner
    14 years ago

pirula I love your kitchen with the cherry counters the tung oil gives it a classic sheen that fits that kitchen even better than using waterlox.

• misplacedtxgal
    14 years ago

I'm thinking of wood on my peninsula, but granite on island cooktop, sink & prep area. Does anyone have this look? I'd love to see pictures!

• gopintos
    14 years ago

Looks like most have wood on painted cabinets. Any thoughts about wood on stained wood? Just a light natural finish cabinet?

• pirula
    14 years ago

Thanks poorowner! We used waterlox on our floors so know all about how great it is. Wanted something different for the counters. I've refreshed the counters once in three years, and was glad at the time that it smelled good as opposed to stinky waterlox. It was alot more work to do the pure tung oil though, alot more coats, and alot more waiting between coats. Just something to consider.....

• lwb9
    14 years ago

Wow! Love the pics of wood counter tops! I just purchased my wood counter yesterday from Ikea. I got the oak, i needed 2 pieces.. opened box but plastic is still on. 1 piece is much darker then the other will the Waterlox even this out? Don't want to high jack this thread just wondering?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!