Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megpie77

Please help with paint color!

megpie77
14 years ago

Hello and thank you in advance. It seems I never really get color just right. I know what I like but can't seem to ever really pull it all together.

I love pottery barn's style-clean, simple, classic. I love the shades of blues and grays that are used in there mags but I've learned lighting has everything to do with the effect.

I painted my downstairs BM Glass slipper. It is way too baby blue for our downstairs. It would be pretty in my bathroom or bedroom though. I am having a hard time picking the right gray/blue/green shade of paint. I love BM edgecomb gray, revere pewter, beach glass, just to name a few. I plan on getting the pearce sectional by pottery barn in oat but am not sure if this color will go with the grays/blues I like. In this site

http://www.hellogorgeousblog.com/2009/04/help-opinions-needed.html

it looks as though the revere pewter goes with the warm toned couch which has a similar (color) look to the PB sectional (below). What should I do? Any suggestions? is it taupy grays that go best with this couch color?

Thank you again!

bm gossomer blue (I love this color combo)

Our downstairs gets lots of western light. Does this mean warm light?

Here is a link that might be useful: revere pewter

Comments (17)

• lilbit77
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

i love love love that first room!!everything from the color on the wall to the arrangement of furniture and pillows!!!i also like the blue bedroom

• msrose
    14 years ago

I love the 1st picture. Mairin used Revere Pewter in her house and it's so pretty. I did a search and this is the only picture of her's that I could find.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Mairin's Revere Pewter

• msrose
    14 years ago

Mairin used Seattle Mist in this post, which looks similar to Revere Pewter. Boysrus's Bennington Gray also looks pretty.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Seattle Mist & Bennington Gray

• msrose
    14 years ago

I found Mairin's post that I had originally seen.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Mairin's Revere Pewter

• megpie77
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lilbit77-Thank you!

msrose-thank you so much! I am just wondering if the grays that I like go with the couch color. What do you think? In the pic with the couch I would have never picked the color on the walls but it looks great. I am trying to figure out what it is.

Thanks again!

• msrose
    14 years ago

megpie - I was thinking the same thing. I would have never thought to put those colors together, but I agree it looks great in the 1st picture. I think the trick is making sure you have accents in both the cool and warm colors. Notice the cushions on the couch have the same tone as the wall color and the curtains have the same warm tone as the couch.

Laurie

• domesticease
    14 years ago

You have probably already painted by now, but I wanted to share a color that is almost exactly what you are describing: sometimes green, sometimes blue, but always anchored in gray. We painted our living/dining combo Polished Limestone by Glidden and are very happy with the results. We also had a "wheat" colored sofa in there and currently have an "oat" so you can see how those color combos look. We recently put hardwoods in which is why we swapped sofa sets. Would love to see more pics of your lovely home!

Here is a link that might be useful: My blog

• megpie77
    Original Author
    14 years ago

domesticease-thank you so much for the info on paint. I love your style. Unfortunately we will be putting "cream" carpet downstairs and hope the color you suggested will not "baby" it up any. It shouldn't being that I thought the wall color was just as pretty with your carpet. I would love to put a laminate wood floor downstairs but we have hardwoods now and as much as I love them for the maintenance my house is horribly loud-it's a split level so everything really echos.

Where did you get your slipcovered sofas and what color are they? Are they easy maintenance?

Thank you for sharing your blog. It is very enjoyable.

BTW-I can't seem to find anything else you've posted on GW. How did you find such an old post of mine? Did you used to go by a different user name?

• jockewing
    14 years ago

Domesticease, that is a gorgeous collection of rooms, and I really like the color. This blue/green/gray color can be very hard to work with, but when you find the right shade-----Beautiful! I just painted my bedroom in SW Quietude, which is a bit more saturated than these colors, but I absolutely love it. It is a robins egg/aqua, but it has just the right amount of gray so that it never looks baby or pastel. I find myself just staring at the color sometimes. Also by SW along these lines is Comfort Gray. It is more grayed than Quietude, but still has enough blue and green so that it doesn't look too drab. I find Comfort Gray to be a lot like RH Silver Sage, but everytime I tried Silver Sage in my house, it looked terrible. It was just too grayed out for me--didn't look anything like it did in the store.

I also find these colors look great with woodtones - the blue in it complements any orange-y tones, and it looks fantastic against black and white/cream. I think you need to have a lot of black and white in rooms with this color-- white beadboard really sets it off.

I also love Wythe Blue by BM. It is very similar to Quietude, but more saturated. Looks more like a true aqua, but still never baby-ish.

Heard lots of good things about Ellen Kennon's Gustavian Gray, Aqua, and Oasis, but have never seen them on a large area in person to vouch for them.

I wonder why this blue-green-grey is so popular nowadays? It seems like everyone is trying it on this board.

• jockewing
    14 years ago

Domesticease, that is a gorgeous collection of rooms, and I really like the color. This blue/green/gray color can be very hard to work with, but when you find the right shade-----Beautiful! I just painted my bedroom in SW Quietude, which is a bit more saturated than these colors, but I absolutely love it. It is a robins egg/aqua, but it has just the right amount of gray so that it never looks baby or pastel. I find myself just staring at the color sometimes. Also by SW along these lines is Comfort Gray. It is more grayed than Quietude, but still has enough blue and green so that it doesn't look too drab. I find Comfort Gray to be a lot like RH Silver Sage, but everytime I tried Silver Sage in my house, it looked terrible. It was just too grayed out for me--didn't look anything like it did in the store.

I also find these colors look great with woodtones - the blue in it complements any orange-y tones, and it looks fantastic against black and white/cream. I think you need to have a lot of black and white in rooms with this color-- white beadboard really sets it off.

I also love Wythe Blue by BM. It is very similar to Quietude, but more saturated. Looks more like a true aqua, but still never baby-ish.

Heard lots of good things about Ellen Kennon's Gustavian Gray, Aqua, and Oasis, but have never seen them on a large area in person to vouch for them.

I wonder why this blue-green-grey is so popular nowadays? It seems like everyone is trying it on this board.

• redbazel
    14 years ago

Domestic, that Glidden color is just beautiful in your home and with your things. I was in HD last night and didn't even look at the Glidden colors. I may need to go back and pick up that chip.

Red

• domesticease
    14 years ago

Megpie - I came across this awesome site on a search for kitchen renos; it's a GOLD MINE of beautiful inspiration!!! I haven't posted anything yet since my kitchen reno is a bit off in the future, but I LOVE looking at everyone's gorgeous work and dreaming...

We got the slipcovered sofas six years ago (at Rooms to Go) - they are terribly uncomfortable and I would not recommend them to anyone, but I have my eye on a similar slipcovered sectional at IKEA, and of course Pottery Barn has a similar style that I would ADORE. :)

I just started painting our family room Behr's Nurture last night and I am trying to decide if I should keep it or change it to Glidden's Polished Limestone like the rest of the house...the Nurture is almost too bright. It's utterly amazing to me how different paint looks in different settings - I should know this by now since I teach high school art!! :)

I will try to figure out how to post "finished" pics of my family room with whatever color I end up choosing - thanks for those other suggestions!!

Have a great day!
    - Kristin

Here is a link that might be useful: Domestic Ease

• msrose
    14 years ago

okay, I admit I'm a little bit of a paint snob and usually gravitate towards BM paint colors, but Polished Limestone from Glidden is out of this world gorgeous. That one is definitely going in my inspiration file. Of course, the way you decorated around it makes it that much more spectacular.

Laurie

• msrose
    14 years ago

Well, paint colors are so crazy. I picked up a sample card of Polished Limestone today and I would have never guessed that it would look bluish or greenish on the wall. It just looks like a very light gray. I'm so glad I saw your rooms or I may have missed out on a great color.

Laurie

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

The Glidden palette is the same Master Palette that ICI/Dulux, now Azko Nobel, uses. The upper brand's and grades use the same fandeck as the super economy cans of Glidden.

The Master Palette is one the very best collections of color on the planet. It doesn't get nearly enough spin. Fine with me because I use it for clients as a way to show them colors-less-used. The Master Palette is kinda like my secret weapon for "special" colors. Plus, the notation system is absolute genius. If you are interested in how the Master Palette's notation works, I'll paste in an older post I wrote.

The notation helps because it not only gives you LRV information(how light or dark), but it gives you another number too. And that number speaks to a color's intensity (how vivid or dull). If you understand the numbers, you can gauge how vivid or dull the color will look once it's up.

"I'm on the hunt for a new a neutral paint color for my LR and in picking up sample paint chips I noticed on Glidden then show the "Master Palette Number" a/k/a paint formula and I'm wondering what it means? I'm trying to find out what hugh this color would be.

For Pebble White it is; 40YY 83-064"

A. It is a code or a notation, not a formula. Formulas won't tell you anything about a color's nuance. Notations, on the other hand are extremely useful if you know how to use them.

Glidden owned by Azko-Nobel (used to be ICI/Dulux) has the very best color notation system out of all the other brands. The coding system was designed so designers and color experts could effectively communicate about this color palette on an international level.

Doesn't matter what language you speak, if you understand the Glidden notations you can speak their dialect of color. It's smart, very smart and useful. Here's how.

Your question is essentially what is the parent hue of Pebble White. YY tells us that the parent hue of the color Pebble White is yellow. Yellow is the parent hue, Pebble White is the child color.

The 40 part is based on a scale of 0-99 within a hue category. (see graphic below) This is the confusing part of this section of the notation. The scale for this runs anti-clockwise on a typical color wheel. Each hue has its own scale of 0-99. So back to our parent hue which is yellow, 50YY would be smack-dab the middle of yellow's part of the color wheel and indicate a pure yellow.

40YY hits right before that pure yellow mark so we know it is *off* from a pure yellow and closer to yellow-orange. Still with me? :)

The parent hue part is the hardest part, it gets easier from here.

The middle number is LRV. Runs on a black to white scale, 0 - 99. The higher the LRV number, the lighter the color. i.e. LRV of 83 is typical for a yellow or tinted white. The lower the number, the darker the color -- a dark navy would have a LRV of 5.

The last three numbers deal with chromaticity or intensity. The scale is 0 - 999. The higher the number the more intense, clear, bright. The lower the number on this scale and the more pale, dull, subtle.

40YY 83-64 is a white and is creamy looking - that comes from leaning towards yellow-orange. It has a predominantly pale-yellow undertone that, given a reasonably balanced light source, will show more crisp and clean in a fresh-sheets-kind-of-way than dulled or dirty.

You can determine what it looks like - in general - just from the notation. Once you get good at using the notation, it will also help you anticipate what a color will *do* when it interacts with certain qualities of inherent light.

Here is a link that might be useful: What does Parent Hue mean

• redbazel
    13 years ago

I thought FunColors' explanation of the notations that are used by Glidden/ICI was very interesting. I think if I learned that, I might be able to visualize a little better. Around here, most of the high-end builders use ICI. It's good paint and they have a nice array of colors.

Since Domesticease posted some of her very pretty room shots on this thread, I wanted to bring it back up for those who missed it the first time around. And today, really, I'm going to follow through and go get a color card of her Glidden Polished Limestone. It looks like it may run too pale for my house, but you never know. I need to repaint a windowless bath and need something to bring it to life.

Red

• kdarrigo
    7 years ago

I know this is a very old thread but I got a sample of polished limestone and I absolutely love it. For the person who used this color which brand paint did you get? I'm not sure about Glidden. Never used it. But I have worked with Behr before and it's good.