Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
graywings123

Mantle decoration contest

graywings123
13 years ago

I was doing some research on fireplaces and came across this website that is having a contest for photos of the best decorated fireplace mantles. The prizes are AmEx gift cards for $500, $250 and $50. It is being run by the company that makes Heat & Glo and other fireplaces, but you don't need to have one of them to enter.

I don't have a photo to submit, but I know some of you do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deck the Mantle contest

Comments (26)

• Oakley
    13 years ago

I entered but I'm more interested in seeing other's mantels across the country! Thanks for the link.

• caminnc
    13 years ago

Thanks graywings. I entered although I am sure I won't win. Oakeyok, a pic of my mantle for you.

• antiquesilver
    13 years ago

I sent in a photo, too, although I'm not expecting to win with my half-paint-stripped fireplace.

• antiquesilver
    13 years ago

Caminnc,
    Your mantle & mine, along with 5-6 others, are showing up as their favorite submissions of Week One.

Here is a link that might be useful: Week One of Mantle Contest

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

There are other GW mantles on there! I remember discussions about them!

• monicakm_gw
    13 years ago

antiquesilver & caminnc: Oh my! both of your mantels are beautiful! Very different but both equally stunning!
    Monica

• Oakley
    13 years ago

My mantel isn't there! Surely they didn't get my picture? LOL.

How did you all send in your pictures via email? I sent a picture directly from My Pictures.

I wish they'd show ALL the mantels submitted so I can see some good eye candy!

• antiquesilver
    13 years ago

Oakleyok,
    After I sent the above photo,I realized that I inserted it into the email rather than attaching it. So the next day, I attached a pic from last year - & that's the photo they chose although I don't know if that's the difference. They didn't specify size so I didn't resize my photo either. Who knows - maybe they're saving yours for next week! We'd like a peek regardless.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

That could be it because I tried to send a photo last year to a place, and they would only take an "attached" picture, but I don't know how to do it. :)

Here's the FP. I guess I should have lit a big roaring fire before I took the picture! It's really not a good picture, I took it before I knew about the contest.

{{!gwi}}

• antiquesilver
    13 years ago

I like your mantle - the white w/red accents is a terrific contrast to the stone. Why not send them another photo - it can't hurt!

To attach a photo, start an email, then drag the photo file into it or click the paperclip icon & locate the file from there.

• caminnc
    13 years ago

Thanks for the link antiquesilver. Oh how I love all the mantles posted. antiquesilver, did you cut all the greens out of your yard? It's so pretty. I am going to add pine, magnolia and more ribbon around my house tomorrow. How do you get your leaves so shinny? I know there are a couple of different ways. I know they make a spray but I don't think I have time to fine it.

• antiquesilver
    13 years ago

Caminnc,
    The magnolia, ivy, & nandina come from my tiny yard in the city; the different pines, VA cedar, & anything else that looks interesting come from my sister's 25 acres of woodland. The whole thing is in oasis & should hold up for about 6 weeks.

The magnolia leaves don't look that shiny in real life, LOL. I think it's just the photo - probably the flash. I don't do anything to them except maybe wipe them off & this year the weather was so foul, I didn't do that.

I love how the mirror reflects all the goodies on your mantle - it looks soooooo sophisticated!

• Meghane
    13 years ago

Thanks for the link. Many beautiful mantles.

I just entered too:

• antiquesilver
    13 years ago

Meghane & Oakleyok - you're on there!

Here is a link that might be useful: Week Two

• nhb22
    13 years ago

Lovely mantles everyone.

I sent mine two weeks ago and it made the first weeks photos (it was last years picture.) I wish I had waited to send it last week, with this years mantle, after I had added my fresh greenery and candles. Much prettier, now!

caminnc - Like antiquesilver (I love that name BTW) I used to polish my magnolia and apples (when I used real fruit) with PAM, but did not do so this year. My magnolia leaves were curly and damaged by our early cold weather.

Here's this years mantle before the additions

After

• antiquesilver
    13 years ago

I love how your magnolia cascades over the edges with a column/trim in the background.

• nhb22
    13 years ago

Thank you! That trim needs to be rechaulked. lol

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Thanks for the head's up! I showed the pic to my dh, and he goes, "there's no fire going! There's no wood in the holder!" LOL. But he was excited. Darn, now I wish I had taken a newer picture with a roaring fire so I could kick your all's behinds in the contest. LOL!!!!

This is fun, I love seeing everyone's FP's, and I can't wait to see if there's a winner!

• caminnc
    13 years ago

newhomebuilder, thanks for the tip. I will try that next year. I think you should send in your pictures anyway. I don't think they will really care. All your pictures are great though.

• dawnp
    13 years ago

Final week is posted.

Mine is the blue and brown with the starburst clock over the mantel.

Anybody else see theirs?

Good luck!

• User
    13 years ago

I'm on the final week posting, third from the top, lots of candles, trees, sparkles and not an inch of blank space (my usual style). Good luck to all GW'ers, maybe we'll sweep!

sandyponder

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Would someone post a link of the finals? I can't get that first link to work and the others just show that particular week.

Thanks!!

tina

• antiquesilver
    13 years ago

If you go to the page for the Blog, all the weeks are there. Below is the link for Week Three. On Week One, some of the photos have been removed - mine is still there but don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, LOL!

Here is a link that might be useful: Week Three

• Boopadaboo
    13 years ago

I am in love with the 6th one down. the one with all the drippy stuff. They are all lovely.

• antiquesilver
    13 years ago

Below is a link to the winners of the contest. The winning mantel is outstanding!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Winners

• nhb22
    13 years ago

Congratulations to any GW member that won.