Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sparklekitty_gw

Foyer Lighting - clear glass, slightly period (pic heavy)

sparklekitty
13 years ago

I am looking for recommendations for clear glass lighting or any other that may work in my foyer, particularly the main light as you walk in the door. I have three lights that are all visible in my foyer, photo below. I am trying to link them together, keep with a period feel but would be happy with something that just touches on it but is more modern. There is stained glass side lights on either side of the door as well as a bunch in the bay window at the landing - yellow, pink (yes pink) purple/blue) which you can sort of see in the foyer photos. The house is turn of the century, I like school house but my husband doesn't like the opaque glass lighting and neither of us want the extreme box-mission style.

The main light will dictate the others - it should be say 8-12 inches in diameter and drop between 12 & 18 inches (little more or less fine.) We have 9 foot ceilings so probably could handle a little more drop. The others may be smaller and shorter.

Here are some examples of things I have been noodling with. Any feedback on the ones below or other recommendations. My fantasy is a clear glass schoolhouse globe with a Edison or bottom chrome bulb, but have not been able to find it (only opaque.) Also want to be south of 4 digits and ideally less than 500, but would consider more if it was fabulous (and would buy less expensive smaller fixtures for other spots.)

Love this Acquatina, but expensive

Here is a schoolhouse electric option - but don't love the shade shape (I would make it a pendant, not a flush mount.)

Cute mega bulb, but may be too mod?

Scavo, in another direction but I worry the style is a little off (love them, had in another house.)

Foyer Stairs - to see style, above landing is the 3rd light.

Foyer from front door, red balloon is "light" 8" in diameter with 15" drop (could go larger and drop a bit more.)

Foyer from living room, you can see the third light location junction box on upper right of photo.

Posted at lighting and home decorating. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Foyer and lighting photos

Comments (7)

• kitch_n_kat
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I really like your staircase- the return landing with the stained-glass is awesome. I get what you're saying about a period feel with a slight modern bend- the last light, your old friend, is my pick of the ones you showed.
    Since you're still looking, maybe consider a tad larger scale than a single bulb pendant- for your entrance, with a significant staircase in view, a single bulb pendant, even an overpriced one, may disappear or look skimpy- and this is space you will want well lit on occasion. The clear glass shades with the silver-tipped bulbs are more for ambiant lighting and will cast light up, and not illuminate the foyer much, particularly a single bulb. With your home's enviable built-in character, maybe consider a 2 or 3 bulb small canopy (term? style that is like an upside down umbrella) with a solid etched/frosted glass shade on a dimmer switch. Clear glass may make for a blinding bulb greeting guests at the door. Form follows function. Just thoughts....love the space.

• sparklekitty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kitch n Kat - Great feedback on the light quality in the room. My husband has real lighting phobia - anything in white opaque glass, but you are dead on that I probably need more light output - though the space is probably 8' X12'. There was an original thought to have one recessed light in the foyer, the "third light" on the right in the photo from the living room. Or maybe just something with two or more bulbs there, subtle, just to create the main light and the center light becomes the accent. Hum....

More thoughts?

• sparklekitty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bump. Any suggestions?

• adh673
    13 years ago

paris flea lighting had a fixture that was sort of a period bulb looking thing. The glass was clear but slightly wavy. Im sure if you look flush or semi flush paris flea you will see it.

Are your fixtures going to be nickel?

• sparklekitty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My first thought for fixtures is oil rubbed bronze - that is what my door hardware is, but if there is a fixture that would really work that is nickel or black or whatever I would consider it.

adh673, is the link below what you are thinking. It is a very pretty fixture, but I think a little to grand for my foyer. Otherwise if you are thinking of something else let me know.

I am trying for something simple because it is not a large room.

Here is a link that might be useful: paris flea semi-flush

• adh673
    13 years ago

no, it wasnt that one. And i cannot find it now, but it looked more like this.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• kitch_n_kat
    13 years ago

Really like that one, adh673.

You know, sparklekitty, how I think you need more than one bulb in there ; )
    ....and wish I could remember from where I saved this photo. See the birdy? You'd get a peek of it perched bird when coming down your stairs.

{{gwi:1758709}}

You're going to figure this out, yet!