Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juddgirl2

Hutch with backplates and dressed up

juddgirl2
13 years ago

Here are some new pics of my hutch with the knob backplates and some Anthropologie and RH finds. I also included a picture of the hutch when it was "dressed up" for the holidays. I made some changes to the shelf arrangements based on all of the great suggestions many of you gave me in the last post.

I think the backplates make the 1.25" knobs look more substantial. I can't use larger knobs on these narrow door frames and DH wasn't receptive to drilling new holes in order to use bin pulls.

I added more of my ironstone and white stoneware to the top shelf but some of them came from other hutches, so if I leave them then I'll need to add to my collection! Do you like the multiple pieces over the 5 pitchers in my original arrangement?

The RH locker basket holds glass fishing balls. I'd like to add several more in the authentic light blue and green colors (I want blue balls like Allison!), with maybe another red and a few amber ones mixed in. Do you think this will work with the ironstone?

It was suggested that I use smaller ironstone pieces on the second shelf also. Until I add to my collection, I used a preserved boxwood and my canning jars for now but I'm not sure if they work here. The jars might look better once I had more glass fishing balls in the blue and green tones.

The glass votive holders are from Anthropologie. I like them because they have the white opaque glass on top and the design on the bottom clear glass makes a beautiful pattern on the hutch at night when the candles are lit. I can also change out the colors of the candles, and I think they'll complement the glass balls.

"Before" pic - if you missed it

Dressed up for the holiday (with my never-used red Mikasa stemless wine glasses)

With green votives

With red votives

Comments (19)

• loribee
    13 years ago

The hutch is stunning with your white ironstone!

• lisa_mocha
    13 years ago

Gorgeous!!
    I'm loving the white ironstone on it as well!

• allison0704
    13 years ago

(I want blue balls like Allison!)

You're going to give me a bad reputation! ;)

I like the ironstone too, but not sure about the white plates/platters behind the pitchers. Would rather see them in front of copper, pewter or wicker plates/platters, etc

I really like the small topiary. Wondering if you can add more greenery - different shapes/sizes. Will add needed texture. Think ironstone and votives are glass/shiny, so try to add more greenery/plants/flowers, wicker, linen, etc. Some things to add texture. Even leather. Twigs/branches.

Excellent - backplates.

I like the votives and understand you like the shadows when lit, but thinking spreading them around a bit will be better since they are "light" in weight and may not stand on their own (all on one shelf) once the other shelves are set.

Here is a link that might be useful: my blue balls

• roch3
    13 years ago

so pretty!!!! You have done such a wonderful job.

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

I really like the way that you have painted it. It really enhances the details of the hutch, as does the simplicity of your white stoneware.

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

I like all the white ironstone on the shelf, including the new pieces, but I agree some other metallic colors in some larger pieces might look nice. You really can't go wrong here. It's such a fabulous piece.

• teacats
    13 years ago

Looks wonderful!

All that white ironstone is so fresh for the new year! :)

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• texanjana
    13 years ago

I love it!

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the great comments! I'll keep my out out for some metal or wicker accents. I do like the little boxwood topiary. It was meant for some shelves in my living room but it can live here :-D

Allison - I've seen your blue balls and they're lovely! I've been wanting some for awhile and now I have somewhere to display them. I'll try grouping the votives differently and see if that works better than placing them all on one shelf.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Love it too!
    If you found a long platter to put the votives on, it may help them have more heft and cohesion.
    I like your white shelf exactly as is ;)
    I'd love to see some small pieces in dark jewel tones sprinkled in.

• busybee3
    13 years ago

love the hutch...you did a GREAT job with it!

i would remove some of the platters in the back though...especially the large rectangular one... it's too much solid white up there now, takes away from the pitcher/s and takes away some of the interest of the composition...

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the great suggestions, dianelo and busybee.

I did remove the platters from the top shelf and like the simplicity of the ironstone pitchers. It allows me to see more of the backboard detail.

I found a long, narrow white platter and will try that with the candles. It might ground them more.

I'm going to add more glass balls and a topiary or two and see how it looks, and maybe a copper/metal piece, but I'm leaning more towards "less is more" for this space.

• scanmike
    13 years ago

I have been meaning to tell you how impressed I am with your paint job and how you brought that piece to life. My husband always thinks it's taboo to paint wood that I just had to show him your finished product. I think it's gorgeous and now have to look back to find your original posting to see what color you painted it. Beautiful!

• Laurie
    13 years ago

Fantastic job!
    I love it.

• lorriekay
    13 years ago

I love everything on the top shelf. I know you said you've already removed the rectangle platters from the top shelf but I think it looks perfect the way it is in the pictures.
    Do you have a pic of what the ironstone looks like now without the platters for comparison?
    I am not loving the votives at all although the red ones are better than the white ones because they are larger. Also the wire basket seems too small.

I, too, love the little topiary and a bunch of those in a row (instead of the votives) would be adorable (especially if you could find green topiaries similar to that one but maybe a wee bit larger. Then maybe some greenery on top (Ivy) spilling over and hanging down a bit.
    Not sure if anyone does the greenery on top anymore lol.

Your hutch is Amazing and I love love it.
    I am thinking of getting a large piece on craigslist and trying to refinish something similarA!

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

You did a marvelous job painting and then decorating it- love it!

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, scanmike, laurie, lorrie and cooper!

I don't have a new picture of the hutch without the platters but my previous post at the link below shows it with just the pitchers. The only difference is I now don't have them all facing the same direction.

For now, I like my votives but I do like the suggestion of using more topiaries. It's harder to find preserved boxwood topiaries in the smaller size, though. Most are too tall.

Here is a link that might be useful: First post

• allison0704
    13 years ago

I did a search for "preserved boxwood ball" which is essentially what yours is, sitting on top of a pot. Search yielded several sources.

Here is a link that might be useful: search results

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Allison. I'll look through those results to see if there are any I didn't see with my search terms.

I sent an email to one of the Amazon suppliers to confirm measurements for total height of a few potted topiaries but didn't get a reply yet.