Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
malhgold_gw

Does This Dining Table Work Here

malhgold
14 years ago

As I mentioned in my previous post..."Would You Paint This Fireplace", I think part of the problem with the space is the table and chairs, so I'm planning on moving them back to the DR(the chalkboard is coming down). I now need a table for that space. Anyone think this works? I'm not so sure it does, but I thought I'd ask just in case I was missing something.

I'm also including a link to the previous post about the fireplace. Here are current pics of the eating and kitchen areas:

would you put this table in the space with the fireplace?

Here is a link that might be useful: Painting the Fireplace

Comments (58)

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Youngdeb meant that the new table in question would not go with the chairs, not that the existing table and chairs don't go together:)

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

this one is on craigslist, so that was why I posted this one specifically. The craigslist posting is for the green. There is another craigslist listing for an ivory one that comes with a robin's egg blue top(so i guess it would be 2 tone). Apparently the ivory top is slightly stained and scratched.

I have/had thought about a round table, but I think it would have to be fairly large to fill the space? I was also hoping that the table I put in there would be able to accomodate at least 8 people as I hate squeezing 8 around the DR table. The legs are in a really bad spot. The table is much better suited for 6.

The bay window has sliders in it, otherwise it would've been a good spot for built in seating.

Also, the reason this all seems so up in the air and unfinished, is because we just finished(except for backsplash) our kitchen reno, and i haven't really moved forward with finishing up these other rooms until I decide what function and what furniture goes where.

• teacats
    14 years ago

Just a thought ..... just some design thoughts about Modern Farmhouse look .....

O.K. -- started thinking about painting the brick white or whitewashing the brick .... and adding a large square black or white mantel .....add modern artworks

THEN add this "nook" seating area (in the basic white) facing the fireplace (not sure about exact room measurements!) and add a black table and two black wicker armchairs.

THEN add a desk/buffet table (made custom made to fit the exact curve or square) area in the window bay area. Additional wicker chair for the desk. Add two lamps. Table could be used for desk OR buffet serving table.

Just thoughts .... really .....

Here is a link that might be useful: Ballard designs -- corner nook dining

• karen_je
    14 years ago

I would love to see something along these lines:

A pedestal table with a dark base to tie in with your dark kitchen cabinetry around the range and a light stone top to tie in with the island top (the pictured table is from Room and Board). Grey leather chairs, the color would reference your grey cabinetry behind the island and the material would coordinate with your island seating...which I assume is leather (these chairs are from Crate and Barrel). A dramatic oversized light fixture will highlight your new furniture (this one is from West Elm....well actually it's THREE from West Elm if you want super dramatic). I adore all the art you picked in the other thread. You could hang the two green/orange pieces on one side of the fire place and the larger orange piece on the other side.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the input....i'm getting some great ideas!

I guess my concern/question is also about filling the space. It's sort of like there's too much space for just a table and chairs, but based on the symmetry and door openings in the space, I can't figure out how to get a table/chairs and anything else of any substance into that room. I was really hoping to get a large sized table in there, instead of just a table for 4. Here's a to scale rendering of that room and the kitchen.

teacats - did you mean do the nook seating as pictured on the Ballard website, or just 1 bench piece of it on one side. Maybe, as you suggested, some fabric covered seating would help "warm" and "fill in" the space.

• gwbr54
    14 years ago

It looks to me like the base of the proposed metal table would interfere with using the head or foot of table. There is no overhang, so the chair legs would have to lift over the base. Could youngdeb comment?

Mahlgold - I like your taste - and even like dining area as posted (except maybe I'd move chalkboard to painted wall, and maybe turn in 90 degrees). For floor plan proposed, there's plenty of room for a 60-in. diameter table to seat six (more with a leaf). I'd place it closer to fireplace, and shift toward bay window if necessary. Two of the dining chairs could be lounge chairs so other lounge chairs not required. I think that would pretty much fill up the space, especially since it looks like bay window has a door at center.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

If you want to seat 8, the round table will fill the space nicely since it will need to be rather large. Once you add chairs, I don't think it will look small or spare at all. I also think the round table will balance the rectangles of the kitchen. I would love to see a huge modern piece over the fireplace, too! I can't wait to see it finished.

• teacats
    14 years ago

Well -- I had a couple of thoughts about creating a mid-floor "nook" -- basically the complete L-section seating area would face into the fireplace wall -- with a table in front -- and a couple of wicker armchairs to sit in front of the new "nook"

A SECOND thought -- which hit me (LOL!) after seeing your floor plan -- would a custom-made nook fit into your window area? I have seen those kind of nooks -- complete with a table in front of the seat AND additional chairs (or bench) on the other side (or basically to face into the nook)

THEN -- by creating a dining area in the window nook (or the window "area") -- you would have more open floor space!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• gwbr54
    14 years ago

Is current table large enough (seats six)? If it is, I think it suits the room, except perhaps you could paint legs black or an accent color. Even tho' I liked your photo, maybe the chairs aren't just right for that space.

If you need two dining tables, and the dining room is small, you might want to put a round table in the smaller dining room (assuming squarish dimension to the room).

But if you need and want larger round table, a 60-in. will handle 8 diners. Maybe something like this:

Or something with a glass top would be good since table is used daily.

• teacats
    14 years ago

Here's the wicker chairs from Pottery Barn. Their lines and shape strike me as neither too traditional NOR too modern. I do like their texture too!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

P.S. VERY striking and lovely modern round table from gwbr54 -- just be sure that whatever chairs you find -- that the chairs actually fit (slide and sit) UNDER the table -- saves floor space! LOL! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: wingate dining chairs from PB

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

The Saarinen Oval table with the tulip base comes in 48"X78" and 48"x96" [The real thing is $4000-12,000 depending upon the top :( ]

The knock off from WhiteOnWhite.com comes in 48"X78" with a marble top for around $1200.

I think a rustic table would work well too.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

have to run out so don't have time to read through everything, but GWBR54 - any source for that stunning table?

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Just an idea for layout for eight.

{{gwi:1547364}}

• gwbr54
    14 years ago

No source on that table - which drives me batty because I'm sure I used to know! Usually I name saved jpg's with useful detail, but that one is called room-3 (how very helpful). I remember saving the photo from interior design website or blog, going on-line to check dimensions, and determining it was too large for my purposes.

• nicole__
    14 years ago

OK....the "problem" I see with your house is......GREAT BONES! Your beautiful kitchen is a "stand alone" beauty. So putting something next to it almost competes. Am I making sense? Other objects....say furniture....has to live up to the bones of the room. I think any piece of furniture would "sit" there and not look bad because the room "looks good empty". So to keep up "the look" you kind of have to go overboard. Otherwise it doesn't stand out. I like the cool chairs you have with the dinningroom table....but you could go to the next level and do the BIG modern chandy, the curvy chairs....???

Here is a link that might be useful: Chandy with curves....

• gwbr54
    14 years ago

Found it! It's called New Yorker Table, by Mariette Hines Gomez, mfgd by Hickory Chair. Top and base are sold separately. (I thought it was called something like Metropolitan, so I wasn't too far off.)

Here is a link that might be useful: hickory chair - mariette hines gomez

• moremoremore
    14 years ago

I'm gonna go with no. I love the vibe going on, but it's just too orange with that wood. I would do a much more simple glass top table in there...If there was just that one set of black legs you'd be golden...

• moremoremore
    14 years ago

Now I"m confused...what table are you asking about? The one in the picture (not your room)...I really like that table...it would definitely work....but it does look a little bit like a desk...maybe it's the way it's being used...best of luck!

• k9arlene
    14 years ago

I think if you painted the legs of your table black and painted the back of the chairs black, what you have would be just fine.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

moremoremore - the orange/black table is what I currently have in there and don't think works. The green one is what I was asking opinions on. It is a bit confusing!

I absolutely love the "New Yorker Table", but seeing that it's Hickory Chair, I'm REALLY worried about the $$. I'm thinking these could work also:

justgotabeme - thanks for the layout! Maybe turning a table in the other direction would be better for the space.

• gwbr54
    14 years ago

By no means, great color choices (I'm lousy at photoshop), but just as a starting point if you wanted to use what you have to link more to kitchen. Artwork on brick wall would be needed to link colors better, especially if introducing much cooler colors to that side of room.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

You are welcome malhgold. I really like the New Yorker table too, but think a rectangle one would work much better in your space. And I love, love, love round tables. Have one myself, but am beginning to think it's not working and will most likely go back to our original rectangle table as much. As I wanted the round to work, it's just not cutting it. I really like the last one you posted photos of, but was wondering if you could have a new longer top made for your current table? To it's just perfect for your home. Well this area anyway. I don't know as if I've seen more of your home.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I know a few of you have suggested painting the table and/or the chairs, which is a great idea, but I just don't think i can bring myself to do it. I'm not so sure I could pull it off and have it look right, and then I'm stuck.

This is a pic of my former kitchen table(now being used as a desk in DR) The style(rustic w/modern chairs) probably fits better with the overall space, but it is only 67"X35". Should I just use this and place it in the right side 1/3 of the fireplace room, closer to the kitchen? I don't think it's large enough to be centered in the room. What about taking off the current top and having a wider and longer top made. The tops on the wood tables I posted above can be purchased separately.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

what about this one from restoration hardware? I know there can't technically be seats on the ends, but in a bind someone could sit there.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

I love that one from RH.
    Go for it.
    ~boxerpups

• pps7
    14 years ago

Mahlgold,

Where did you find that farmtable?? I must have it. LOL!

How about a 48" x 48" square table to seat 8? And a built in window seat or a couple of chair by the bay window. Room and Board lets you cutomize the size of your table, wood species and has some great choices. I love the brick. It would look great if you added a wood beam mantle allthe way across with some art work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Room and Board

• pps7
    14 years ago

Mahgold,

I'm asking about the tables you posted above, not the RH one.

p.s. Love the restoration hardware one.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

pps7 - are you asking about the ones i posted last night? The post with the 2 farm tables. They are from a company called "Recycling the Past" here in New Jersey. I love those tables too, but at $2250, they might be a little out of my budget.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recycling the Past

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Is there some reason you can't get a new longer top made for your current table, or you are just wanting something new?

I love how your dining room turned office looks. What gorgeous pieces you have.

• gwbr54
    14 years ago

Wow - the Restoration Hardware table is a good price! And on closer view, it has that loft feel that you're going for too. But at 9-ft long, I think it's a bit too big to go in either direction. If you use a rectangular table, I'd orient it the same as your existing table; the other direction would look like a continuation of your island.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just want to say that you guys are the best!!! Thanks for sticking with me on this one.

The store that sells the tables that I posted last night(the pics with the 2 in the same post)will sell just a top, which is definitely a route that I might take. The reason I liked the RH one(aside from the fact that I like it), is that just to buy a top for my current table is almost the same price as the whole RH table.

Re: length of the restoration hardware table. I think I'll tape it out on the floor and see what it "feels" like. If I ran it perpendicular to the island, I'd have about 2 ft. in front of the LR opening and 4ft. until the sliders in the bay window. Horizontally, I should have plenty of room, since the room is 16' long and no chairs go on the ends. But point taken about it looking like it might "run into" the island.

• teacats
    14 years ago

Yep. That RH table would work beautifully. Add chandelier or two pendant lamps to create that "cozy" feeling. Add chairs and two armchairs (and small table and lamp for lighting option) in the window bay area. Then you could move the armchairs over to the ends of the table when needed ....

And I still vote to paint or whitewash the brick.

I do wonder IF someone could customcraft a pewter/silver/aluminum-metal-covered mantel ..... I wonder how that would look there? It could be hammered metal with a line of metal studs along the front edge .....

Or just a large square-edged gray-washed wood mantel -- all the way across the wall?

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Still working on the table situation. Here are a couple of options I found on craigslist. What do you think? Do you think the RH table works better?

This is the 90" Big Sur Table from Crate and Barrel:

This is a 60" round in an espresso finish:

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

not thinking the round one is going to work. seems a bit too formal? what about the Big Sur?

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I like the RH one the best--although the Big Sur does reference the island.

• sweeby
    14 years ago

I haven't jumped in because I haven't known how to say what I want to say diplomatically. STILL haven't figured that out ;-) so I'm just going to be blunt and hope I can communicate without offending you.

I really like the large table there. I even like the black and red and gold, and the busy geometric look. I think the right bold print over the fireplace could give you a fabulous city loft 'Chop House' look and tie it all together. Warm, rustic, cozy...

BUT - If you turn around, you're facing your kitchen. Which is cool, modern/vintage, eclectic. Gorgeous, but in a completely different vein. Not-the-same-house scale different. And that's what I see as the problem -- Finding something that ties in your warm brick fireplace and generous space with your cool kitchen. You've got a bad case of 'decorating schizophrenia' going on...

The last couple of tables -- large, massive scale, lighter wood finishes -- IMO, those are working better. And using that whole space for a comfortable, generous, casual family dining area seems like the right fit -- the right use of the space.

But honestly, I think the red brick wall is fighting with your kitchen. Big time.
    Would you consider having panelling made to cover most of your fireplace wall? Match the panelling to your pantry cabinets in style and color. Another possibility would be painting the brick. If the money tree's gone dry after your kitchen redo, that would be a cheap and easy solution that would have a big impact and free up a lot of decorating leeway. If you do that, I think the table and chairs will just fall into place.

• youngdeb
    14 years ago

I don't think you ought to cover the brick, but I agree with Sweeby that you need to be really careful to get a modern farmhouse look into that space. If you're headed farmhouse with the table, which I think is the right direction, go modern with the chairs. Metal legs, maybe. And keep the table warm and lighter toned...no black for sure.

If you go metal with the table, you should go wood with the chairs, but nothing heavy and with colors that coordinate with your light-toned kitchen.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks....I know the 2 rooms don't work. It was worth a shot to try the DR furniture in the fireplace room. Honestly, when that furniture was sitting in the DR, I never thought of it as being so "bold", but I guess a different space does that, particularly when you can now see the kitchen and the DR furniture in the same shot.

The bricks are actually a rustic brown, not red, with touches of a lighter "salmony,pink" color. That's the only way I can describe it. Maybe I should try a "whitewash" before I consider completely covering it. I do like the idea of horizontal paneling, but was actually considering it in white. I know this isn't a fireplace, but visually it's the same idea as what I have.

So...any of the farmhouse tables mixed with modern chairs would work? Yes??? Even the Restoration Hardware one?

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

And Sweeby....I absolutely wasn't offended. I wouldn't have posted if I wanted everyone to agree with me. Thanks for the advice!!!

• ruthy1
    14 years ago

malhgold - I really like the horizontal white paneling in the picture you just posted & think it would work very well with your kitchen. I don't really like the look of painted brick, but that's just me. It's done all the time on HGTV. If you do paint the brick, there's a chance that you still won't like the look. But sweeby hit the nail on head about the brick not working with your wonderful modern kitchen.

• les917
    14 years ago

I would do a pair of upholstered host chairs and put them in the bay with a small table between them, as a small sitting space.

Then get a round table that will sit centered in the rest of the floor space. Consider getting one that has perimeter extension leaves, so that it can be opened to seat more (and you can use the host chairs at that point) but for every day use it can be a little less bulky in the space with only 4 or 6 chairs around it.

Here is one example of that type of table.

round table with extensions

I would love to see upholstered chairs with brushed nickel nailheads to pick up on the stainless in the kitchen and give this a more modern feel.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Unfortunately I can't put anything in the middle of the bay window because there are sliding doors there.

I wonder if the dark round table that I posted above would work if I stripped and painted it.

• amysrq
    14 years ago

Listen to Pal...C&B table references the island. A bandaid, if not a cure, for dissociative decorating disorder. ;-)

I think clean is the way to go. Anything with a more rustic feel is going to further the rusticity of the brick.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

amysrq - but Pal also said she liked the RH one the best. That's pretty rustic to me.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Maybe more modern is the way to go? What about something like this?

• amysrq
    14 years ago

I didn't say listen to everything he says....just the thing he said that I agree with! :-P

I think the parsons look is good. I like white. I'd like a softer dove gray even better maybe. Or maybe use a wood parsons table and bring the gray from the kitchen in with some upholstered dining chairs.

West Elm has parson's tables. Room & Board has custom designs with marble tops, but I don't know that I'd necessarily repeat the marble. Just thinking about ways to create stronger visual links between the rooms.

• katyroadpink
    14 years ago

You certainly have a beautiful home. I've read both your posts because I, too, have a brick wall which dominates the room. With hardwood floors the acoustics are terrible.

I put a large medium blue area rug in the room (thick nubs of felted wool shag) which does a good job of toning down the brick.

I'm considering a large piece of oversized artwork by Judy Paul for the center of the wall, with smaller pieces on the sides. BTW, I've seen this artwork on Overstock, but not in person yet. I like "City Bird" and "Meander II".

I don't recommend a mantle. I put one up but it doesn't go with the style of the room. It also invites clutter and dusting - two things I hate!

I think an oval pedestal table with white marble or laminate (Eero Saarinen) would look great in your space and not look too busy or be lost against the brick. If you buy the Herman Miller table, they usually have a 15% discount sometime in May.

I'm loving your pictures! Please post more as you redecorate your room.

• oopsie913
    14 years ago

without a doubt, a metal table against the brick will look wonderful, round or oblong, which will compliment/contrast the brick. the table you show here just fades into the wall. If not metal, then I do like the idea of a white marbletop table.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So this is what I've decided for now. I'm moving the DR table back into the DR, since it seems that it doesn't work AT ALL in this room and putting the wood table(posting from Jan. 31st)into this room. I will be placing it in the first 1/3 of the room closest to the kitchen, perpendicular to the island). Have to figure out chairs for the table, but first I want to see if I like the concept. I'm thinking of different chairs all finished in black, some modern, some not so modern.

I then have 2 really big wood carved arm chairs that are covered in a leopard print that I will arrange near the fireplace, anchor with an area rug and some modern side tables. I'm hoping this will somewhat blend the space more. Part of the problem is that I think this room is just too long for a table and is looking very cold and empty.

I'll post pics when I get it all moved. I need to round up a few men to move the glass. Wish I could just do it myself with DH, but that's not happening.

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

After reading all the responses and digesting, I hopped over to CB2 and found this table in the link. Chrome and glass would suit the space AND the kitchen. The table can be paired with white modern or something with texture as seen in the pics. I can see this working beautifully in your space. Pairing it with the brick reminds me of something you would see in a loft space if that makes sense. And that always seems to work! The sparkle of the chrome goes beautifully with your kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: table