Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sangaree

Some Fall Decor on my front porch

Purplemoon
16 years ago

little shelf on my front porch under the mailbox that I decorate. The cast iron rabbit and frog prince on the bottom stay year round tho.

{{gwi:192903}}

left end of my little front porch decorated with some Fall stuff, forgot to put out the black crow so have to do that tomorrow.

{{gwi:192905}}

My Tipsy Pots out front with faux Fall foliage...say that three times fast... in them now

{{gwi:142864}}

hugs, Karen

Comments (20)

• angelcub
    16 years ago

What a wonderful way to greet your guests! It all looks so inviting. I love your plant stand. Did you make the scarecrows? They are so charming!

I see you like frogs, too. Maybe your prince would like to meet my Ms. Lily ; )

I am hoping to get my porch finished this weekend. We had some chilly weather today which kept me inside - inside of a few antique stores, thanks to you enablers. lol!

Diana

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The scarecrows came from Michaels last Fall. I have a lot of frog statues outside, really like them a lot. I LOVE Ms Lily. She is totally delightful, never saw one like her before!!!
    Ahhh, antiquing today huh? Me too! We have a huge antique mall with around 500 vendors booths and huge glass display cases in there. I go 3 or 4 times a year and love the place. Took 3 hrs to walk it today, and now can barely move, LOL. Oh, other email about the Pumpkin geese...I said they're ceramic and actually they are resin it says.

hugs, Karen

• jsupanich
    16 years ago

Looks great Karen! And Diana, I love Ms. Lily Pad.

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Wow! Karen, great job. Looks so welcoming and festive. Love your tipsy pots all decorated for Fall, but the cute bunny peeking out at the bottom is what really caught my eye! Your shelf and the corner arrangement look really great. Luvs

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

Just Beautiful is all I can say, all of it is just beautiful. I love Fall decorating. I'll have to get some pics of my own up on the forum. I was able to get some real bittersweet yesterday growing along side the road. I love the fresh kind, it's so pretty.

Sal

• annielu
    16 years ago

Love it all!!
    Like the idea with the tipsy pots--mind if I borrow it?

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Annielu, thank you for wanting to do tipsy pots too. I think most everyone on GJ forum has them now. Such a fun project since it takes about 15 min to assemble them. The ones out back I left terra cotta, tho used the t.c. sealer which keeps their color nice. I decided i wanted to paint these tho since they'll have different seasonal decor in them. Just sponged white paint on the rims after I spray painted all a hunter green. Just be sure you drive the rebar 18" or more in the ground for stability. I bought a 7ft piece I think, tho 6' is probably fine. I could have added another small pot on mine but opted for the angel topper instead. Since real flowers hate me so much, I am forced to use faux silk ones. I sure envy all of you that can have real flowers or find real things like bittersweet that Crafty did. But nice thing about silk is Phx summers don't kill them, LOL. Nor do I.
    Luvs, as you know from yard album, I have rabbits and frogs...fairies and gnomes...all over my yard peeking out from things and in little areas of their own.
    hugs, Karen

• Cheri_C
    16 years ago

Awesome Karen!!! Everything looks grand!!! I gotta finish up my decorating today. These pics are inspiring me.

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Karen that looks great! Just the perfect amount of decs, and I love the tipsy pots.

• minnie_tx
    16 years ago

Really nice. How about a photo showing the whole porch??

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Minnie. Here's a photo I took last year that shows the porch, it's small...narrow. The window is to my livingroom.
    {{gwi:1413397}}

hugs, Karen

• thrift_shop_romantic
    16 years ago

Oh, I really like the tiered flower pots-- that's clever!

--Jenn

• yachter123
    16 years ago

Karen, you were sure busy, it all looks great, you're ready for fall. I also love the tipsy pots, so useful for almost every season.

Are you walking any better after your mall trip & all this decorating?

• judithva
    16 years ago

Karen, looks great, you are definately on top of things! Your porch looks so welcoming, wish I could come visit! The tipsy pots are so cute. I might have to give them a try too.

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The tipsy pots hit GJ last year about like the stacking plates did here. LOL. Seems some guy went on eBay selling the instructions and pot holder for $30. A gal bought them, only to find out its a piece of rebar and you merely stack and tip terra cotta pots on it. Takes about 15 min. if you count pounding in rebar 18" or more. LOL. They are really fun to decorate for the seasons, tho most GJers have green thumbs and put REAL flowers in theirs. The wave petunias are gorgeous trailing out of them. Pots cheap at Walmart,rebar is cheap too! You can use any size or any height for that matter. I did a 12" on bottom, then 10" one, then 8". I did use terra cotta sealer inside and out on them. I left ones out back natural color but wanted to paint these.

Yacht, last week about did me in. My body isn't use to doing much these days. I did fireplace re-staining, Fall decorating, Walmart groceries (which my DH has been doing for me lately), walked the antique mall for 3 hrs, and then hauled 90 bricks from my DD's backyard that's getting redone. I want to make a planter with them in my back. So I'm a bigger mess than usual with pain and legs not working now. LOL. But I sure got a lot done.

hugs, Karen

• judithva
    16 years ago

Karen, thanks for the great instructions on the tipsy pots, it is amazing how easy it is, even though it appears hard LOL

And WOW, you really have been working hard! That is nice your DH did the food shopping for you, that is one task I just hate!
    Nake sure you post a pic of your finished planter!

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Karen, I love your front porch and your tipsy pots are beautiful. What a great idea.

I have done the scarecrow of pots which I think was invented by a garden club friend of mine who lived in California in the 60s and did that as a project for national GC once back then. It then became a big deal with most of us years later. I am happy to see the pot designs are getting a renewed energy.

I adore Ms. Lily's Pad.

• genny-gardener
    16 years ago

I guess I am a late -comer. Sure would love to know how to make the TIPSY POTS. I need to get busy and get my porch decorated.

• giftguru
    16 years ago

Seriously need to know how to do the TIPSY POTS !!!

That was sooooooooo creative !!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Crafty Crafts and Decorating Ideas !!!!!

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Since Karen has been busy this week, and hasn't gotten back here, I will try to help with tipsy pot directions. You need a six foot piece of rebar which can be purchased at Lowe's for around $2.00. You also need pots in graduated sizes, ie: 12 inch, 10 inch, 8 inch, etc. Just pound the rebar into the ground about 18 inches then slide the largest pot onto the rebar through the hole in the bottom of the pot. Fill with potting soil. Now slide the next largest pot onto the rebar, but tip it to the side a bit. (A rock will help support it at the angle until you get the next pot on.) Continue sliding the pots on and alternating the way you angle them then fill them with soil and plants. Vining plants look really good in them. Be careful when watering so that you don't wash all the soil out, and know that they do dry out fairly quickly so you will want to water frequently. (Unless you use Karen's great idea of using silk plants!) If you check on the Garden Junk forum and just type "tipsy pots" into the search box, you will find lots of them. Some have used metal buckets, some plastic pots, some teapots, etc. to make them. The fun part is all the comments from visitors who are amazed at seeing what looks like just pots balanced on top of each other! ;o)

Luvs

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022
More Discussions