Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gowelch_gw

Urgent! - need a decision for pony wall or not??

gowelch
14 years ago

We demo our first bathroom over the weekend, and the contractor is coming to frame the shower area. We can't decide if we should have a ponywall or not, and need to make a decision in the next few hours.

Our bathroom is 5 feet wide by 15 feet long. As you walk in, the vanity (76 inches long) will be on the left side of the bathroom. We could build a pony wall at the end of the vanity, so we have three side back and side splash. The pony wall also allows us to put in a electrical outlet (not critial). From the pony wall to the center of the toilet is 19 inches, and from the cneter toilet to the edge of the shower is also 19 inches. Is 19 inches a comfortable width??

If we don't have the pony wall, we could show off this beautiful piece of furniture like vanity, and allows more space between the end of the vanity and toilet (now will be 24 inches), but no place for toilet paper holder.

I really don't know what to do. Did anyone face this problem before?

Please help as my contractor is coming...

Thanks

Comments (10)

• pharaoh
    14 years ago

I vote for no pony wall. TP installs on the side of the vanity above the magazine rack. In a narrow bathroom, you dont want to wall off spaces which makes it look chopped up.

Only drawback is that now you will see the toilet. Get one of those skirted toilets that is nice looking and easy to keep clean.

• suero
    14 years ago

Ditto. No pony wall. Even with a pony wall, you'll be able to see the toilet from the entrance to the bathroom, and the pony wall has the added disadvantage of limiting the space for you to dry off when you step out of the shower.

• MongoCT
    14 years ago

What pharoah said.

I have a photo somewhere that shows a pony wall alternative...the "pony wall" I built is actually a cabinet about 48" tall and 12" wide that I made for additional storage in the bath. But the size of my bath prevents it from creating a choke point.

the one limitation is your 5' depth...I'd say do quick mock up with cardboard and see if:

1) It looks good to you and

2) Thew wall doesn't create a traffic choke point where you have to squeeze around it to get to the toilet.

the 19" on either side of the toilet centerline is adequate. Code minimum is 15" per side.

Mongo

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Your bath is long and narrow -- So depending on what you mean by 'pony wall' (I've seen it used in several ways), it might be a good idea or not.

We have a wall in our downstairs powder room thatseparates the vanity from the toilet. That wall runs the full height of the room, but only comes out about 20" from the back wall. This has the effect of providing some visual screening and sense of separation, but IMO, it doesn't make the room feel choppy at all.

Now that said, Mongo's tall cabinet remains my absolute favorite!

• MongoCT
    14 years ago

My goodness sweeby you do have exceptional taste when it comes to judging toilet-hiding cabinetry! ; )

• gowelch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all!

I love the pictures Mongoct posted. Lucky for me, our contractor didn't show up today. We used to have a pony wall went all the way up to the ceiling. It made the space look smaller, so we removed it.

I really have to think this through.

• sawmill
    14 years ago

In our layout, the vanity is to the left like yours, but our shower is in-between the vanity and the toilet. Currently the shower is encased in a tall, tiled tower, which creates privacy for the toilet. We want a more light filled shower, so we are knocking down the tower and creating a pony wall on either side of the shower with glass above, so the toilet will still have a modesty panel. We thought about flipping the toilet and shower, but DH does not want to have the toilet next to him when he is brushing his teeth!

I don't know if flipping the shower location with the toilet might be an option for you with possible plumbing issues at this late date or not.

• sweetd313
    14 years ago

I vote for no pony wall. Your bathroom sounds a lot like mine..narrow, with a long vanity (mine is 71 inches), and the pony wall at the end of the vanity. I have a pony wall now, and wish that I could knock it down everytime I see it. To me,it would be much more spacious without it! You could always use one of those stands for the toilet tissue.

• gowelch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sweetd313,

Do you have a photo to share? At this point, we have decided not to have a pony wall. I think the bathroom will look more spacious and modern without a pony wall. Also, I hate the idea to hide the custom vanity (with both sides finish) between two walls.

Thanks,

• sweetd313
    14 years ago

Hi! I don't have a photo to share...I could get one, but it might take a day or two. We're just renovating right now, not actually living there : ) I think you will like it better w/o the wall, I know I would prefer that for my bathroom.