Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wi_sailorgirl

Anyone want to share their bathroom budgets?

wi-sailorgirl
14 years ago

We're planning a bathroom addition soon so I've been working on getting a budget together. I also watch a lot of HGTV shows and I'm amazed at how much money some bathroom renovations cost (and we're building new!). I'd love to see some real life budgets and what you got for your money (and yes, I realize budgets and value vary depending on location, even neighborhood).

Thanks in advance!

Comments (43)

• lindamarie
    14 years ago

Here from my memory:

$1000 for wall tile, field, border, chair rail, bed edge
    all gloss white from Lowes.

$460 for gloss baseboard tile from JTM tile

$1200 for Naxxos marble (have 12 leftover because they did not build the bench)

$500 for sink faucet

$75 for light fixture

$149 medicine cabinet

$3500 to GC for rip out and hardibacker install

$600 for cement shower pan
    $600 for plumbing ( husband had to fix)

$150 for shower head and valves

$600 for Kohler Artist Editions pedistal sink and toilet bought off Craigslist.

$350 for infloor heat cable and thermostat

$1400 extra to tile guy after GC deserted us++++++++

I believe that is about $10,785 for total ripout

Problem is we still have not used it. The fixtures were not installed and the ceiling needs replacing.

Hubby and I are going to replace that sheet rock and install the fixtures ourself

• ntruro
    14 years ago

I can send you an MS Exel spreadsheet containing actuals for our soon-to-be-completed bathroom renovation. The spreadsheet includes: item (mfg, model, and color/finish), cost and source. It's a total DIY project starting with demolition down to the studs and subfloor.

Does anyone know how to post a PDF to Gardenweb?

• daisy_zone5
    14 years ago

Hi Sailorgirl,

We are "currently" going through bathroom renos... two of them. They are smallish bathrooms.

One bathroom is done (one with only a shower, vanity, and toilet), and the other is underway (tub/shower, vanity, and toilet).

When all is done, by end of next week (I hope), I will give you a full account of our cost... material and labour. I will also try to include before/after pictures.

Hang in tight, and wait for my return next week.

In the meantime, if you want a rough estimate...
    - material for both (approx): 10K
    - labour: about 4k... I think.

For our labour, we have a friend doing it for 25.00/hrly... cold cash. Hubby is also home helping him. He does electrical, plumbing, etc. That truly suited us as the "store" contractor wanted 5,600.00 for the small bathroom and the material for that bathroom was 5,200.00. HELLO... go figure, and we gutted the bathroom ourselves. You can imagine that we told him to take a hike.

Anyway, will get back to you next week when all is done... I hope. I'm tired of having dust up my nose!!! LOL.

As a final note, I am in Canada. So price might differ depending on where you are from.

Daisy

• citytransplant(zone5)
    14 years ago

Sailorgirl, we too are just finishing up with our new basement bathroom. I will show before and after pictures when we are done, in about 2-3 weeks....I hope.

• sevrm
    14 years ago

About $17,000 for total renovation of an approximately 8 x 12 foot bathroom. No plumbing was relocated and we tried to keep everything in moderation. I can see how a lot more could have been spent very easily. We used porcelain tile. We do have 2 vanities at approximately $2,000 each including granite tops. It looks very nice, but is certainly not fancy.

• User
    14 years ago

We converted a jack & jill w/2 doors (one to the master bedroom and the other to the hallway) into just a master bathroom. We didn't want a tub, opting for just a walk in shower instead but to do that, we had to move two walls to square the spot out a bit which included bumping one wall out a foot into the bedroom. We also decided to replace a window with a larger one. The break down is based on memory so it may be slightly off but not by much.

- Demo down to the studs was 400.00

- Moving the wall/electrical & 1 wall for new shower 600.00

- Drywall in 2nd door, new trim for hallway 150.00

-Shower head, hand held w/secured grab bar, valves & faucets for two sinks including labor - 1100

- Tile - slate for 10 x 8 floor, 3.5 x 4 ft shower including mosaic & chair railing, bench & shelf - 700

- Tile installation, leveling floor, enhancing/sealing floors & shower including niche & wall feature - 2500

- build in of new shower pan and shower walls - 1100

- new window & installation - 600

- toilet & 2 sinks - 475

- cabinets - semi custom 3 drawer banks, 2 vanities & tall linen closet - 1800

- granite (w/remnant left over for 2nd bath remodel planned) 1200.00

- shower door & installation - 600

- lighting - 150

- trim, new door plus install - 200

- Odds and ends, like hardware, ceiling fan, vent/light covers, window coverings, mirrors and towel racks - 500

So about 12,000 give or take. I've been told we got a lot done for our money, and while we wouldn't compromise on quality, I wouldn't call our bathroom fancy or over done. I made sure I got some kind of discount everything, which helped with the bottom line a lot. We love it, it fits our lifestyle perfectly.

• andreadeg
    14 years ago

Our budget for our reno was in the 35k range. we replaced almost everything, but left plumbing fixtures in their place. We added a tall linen cupbard which matches the vanity and that piece was kind of pricy. We went with marble in the shower and countertop, and travertine on the floor.

We are in Seattle so labor is probably on the higher end.

• andreadeg
    14 years ago

forgot to add...our bathroom is 10X13 with a separate room for the toilet. We also installed underfloor heat which wasn't cheap, but sooo worth it!

• hudsonleigh
    14 years ago

We did a total gut job of an 11x9 (more or less -- it's actually L-shaped) family bath. Removed a closet (req'd new framing & sheetrocking in the adjacent hall), moved ALL the plumbing around, replaced a window (sized down, so it req'd exterior work), all new electrical & lighting, all new fixtures & cabinetry (including one recessed into a wall above the staircase -- more framing & sheetrocking). All the fixtures were Delta and AS, and the tiles were ceramic & porcelain DalTile, so none of that was extraordinarily high end, price-wise. Our splurge was custom cabinetry & Cambria countertop -- well worth it, imo. We came in around $27K, but we're in the NYC metro area, so labor is on the high side. Hth!

• hudsonleigh
    14 years ago

And, something else I just thought of (that always happens after I click submit!). Anyhow.....even tho we went over our original budget by a couple of grand (mostly due to a rotten overpriced plumber who did the install incorrectly, but I won't go there!), what we truly got for our money is that we all LOVE LOVE LOVE the new bathroom, it's so much better than it was before, and it totally works for our kids. I smile every time I go in there. And that is, as they say, priceless.

Best of luck with your new bath.

• Olychick
    14 years ago

Find it, fall in love with it, use it in the bathroom remodel, plan to die early so you don't have to use the retirement fund you depleted to build your dream bathroom. That's my budget scenario.

• wi-sailorgirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you ALL! I can't tell you how helpful this is.

Olychick ... I love your theory!

• baxter01
    14 years ago

An 8 X 11 bathroom gutted to the studs. No plumbing moved and all work done by us cost us $12,000. So I can see if you have to hire someone to do the work you are probably looking at an easy $25,000.

• cambriausa
    14 years ago

@hudsonleigh So delighted to hear your 'splurge' on Cambria was well worth it!

@wi-sailorgirl The options for using Cambria in the bathroom are endless. We welcome you to check out our bathroom gallery for inspiration.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cambria Bathroom Gallery

• katie7b
    14 years ago

We are in the home stretch of a complete remodel of a 5x7 bathroom. I budgeted $15K; though I haven't tallied everything up, it looks like the end result will be somewhere in the $22-23K ballpark. We're in a pricey market (D.C.) and we also ran into some serious problems behind the walls once the tearout was done  a not uncommon problem when dealing with a 110-year-old rowhouse. We also had some unforeseen plumbing issues that had to be dealt with along the way. These are the appliances we used: Duravit vanity and sink, Grohe sink and shower fixtures, Toto dual flush toilet and a Runtal hydronic towel warmer. I shopped around and got discounts on all the above. No discount on the custom pivot 1/2" glass shower doors, which were shockingly expensive. They were just installed a few days ago, and they are gorgeous, which somewhat ameliorates the sting of their cost! We used a mix of travertine (floor and shower walls), river rock (shower floor, bottom of recessed shelf and wall border) and glass tile (on the wall behind sink and toilet). I heartily second what chefwong says about hiring the best tile guy: A good one really IS worth his weight in gold. Even though it took him a long time, Vince, our tile setter, is a real artist and takes a lot of pride in what he does. Plus he's a really nice guy. The stonework Vince did is amazing. He cut all the bullnose pieces himself then had the finished edge put on them at a marble shop, and for the rock border, set the stones by hand.

• rafor
    14 years ago

Interesting question. We had a well-known design center in Portland OR give us bids on 2 bathrooms. One was a minor re-do of a master bath. Lots of room to work with and the fixtures weren't really going to be re-located. They came up with $70,000 using mid-range items (ie tiles, fixtures, etc). The other bath was going to be a brand new bath added to another bedroom so the house would have 2 master suites (totally new plumbing and electrical). That totally new renovation came in at $30,000! It seemed strange to me that building a whole new bath that was smaller in scale room-wise but still basically new construction was half the cost of basically redecorating the other existing bath. So we did the master ourselves, though we hired a plumber to move the toilet over 1 floor joist, a carpet guy to come extend the carpet under a long dresser we used as the new vanity, and a sheetrock guy to tape and texture the new part of the dry wall (about 10 feet worth). Total cost was about $6000. We replaced an existing fiberglass shower stall that was about 3 x 4 ft with a tiled walk-in shower that was 4 x 6 with dual shower heads and a folding teak bench. We tore out the old huge jacuzzi tub and replaced it with a regular size tub that was extra deep. Used 2 vessel sinks on the dresser turned vanity with new faucets. Changed the light fixtures (using same place as before and adding one more light) and towel bars. I did the tiling. It was easy. This was all done 3 years ago. We just sold the house and the signing is today. We never did add the other bath. 2 and a half baths should be enough for most people :)

• wi-sailorgirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow Rafor ... I think I would have keeled over when someone threw out a number like $70K. Sounds like it all worked out though.

• marlene_2007
    14 years ago

Rafor, I also live in Portland, OR. I remodeled my MB 1-1/2 years ago, gutting every thing but the bathtub. I used calacatta oro on the vanity, calacatta tile everywhere else, a new 104" cherry vanity, all new fairly expensive fixtures, heated floor (the MB is approx. 15 X 8 or 9') and I thought my remodel was expensive at almost $40,000. I think the bid you got from the design center is ridiculous. I'm really curious who it was. Do they have a showroom in Lake Oswego? (I'm just being nosey.)

• Sharon kilber
    14 years ago

My husband, who is a GC, just had a job, that the client, put in 4000.00 shower door's. They are lava glass door. So you, can spend lot,s if you have it. We, are in Arizona. sharaz

• rafor
    14 years ago

Yes marlene, it's exactly who you are thinking!! Funny thing is I only went to them because the 2 floor plans I came up with myself didn't really thrill me. They each had their pluses and minuses. So I thought these fancy bath designers would come through with some brilliant plan that I hadn't thought of already. No, they came up with the same 2 plans I did. So that was really no help at all.

• marlene_2007
    14 years ago

Rafor, I forgot to congratulate you on the sale of your house. That seems to be a rarity in today's market! Hope you're still staying in the Portland area.

I've never been impressed with that design company and am even less impressed at the quotes they gave you. I've never seen one job they did that I liked, but perhaps that's just my taste.

• rafor
    14 years ago

Marlene, we moved all the way across the country to New England and bought a house that was built in 1780! It's really cool. Had to redo one of the bathrooms here right away - it was pretty awful. The other had already been redone but in a rather industrial theme with corrogated metal for the walls and shower stall. Guys seem to really love it. Haven't quite decided whether or not to tackle that one right away since it is new. We had 2 houses to sell back there, one in West Linn that I had owned for 25 years and a new little cottage in Vancouver. They both sold last month. So May 1st came and we didn't have any mortgage payments to make - that was great!

• marlene_2007
    14 years ago

Rafor, when I decided to leave Los Angeles after 51 years, my two choices were Portland and Lenox, MA! I chose Portland because DH still works in LA and it is a bit easier for the commute, but I love, love, love New England!

I am so envious of you because while I love Oregon (and compared to L.A. I feel as though I live in a little village, there is no place I'd rather live than where you are.

• cupofkindness
    13 years ago

Anyone else?

• dazedandconfused
    13 years ago

We're getting ready to embark on a renovation of our small master bath @ 8X6 ft. The only GC that actually got back to us after a month and a half gave us an estimate of $12,000 (just for labor, my dh did most of the demo already). We would supply all the fixtures, tile etc. We live in a NYC suburb. We are going to be our own GC on this job as we were on our hall bath reno.

• catkin
    13 years ago

I will when I'm finished! :) It's definitely a budget update.

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

We just did a 5 x 8 full bath for $3k.
    All DIY.
    Gutted the room to the studs on 3 1/2 walls and floor; rebuilt subfloor; moved doorway to a different wall; all new fixtures, plumbing, electrical and tile, including an electric radiant heat floor. I'm going to post some pics and details in another thread...

• wi-sailorgirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We're actually finally at the end of our bathroom project (it cracked me up that this post floated to the top again) and while I could sit down and add up the numbers, suffice to say that I'm not mentally prepared to do that, so that should give you some idea of what kind of numbers we're talking about.

We did have a few unique situations in our space that I think added to the cost. And since this is probably the only bathroom we're ever goign to build (I hope!) we added a lot of upgrades that will make it great but certainly aren't necessary including a glass shower enclosure, heated floors, towel warmer, custom vanity and linen cabinet, two windows, etc.

Maybe someday I'll come to terms with how grossly over budget we are on this project (probably about 30% over) and I'll add it up, but not now.

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

Hey, don't feel bad! 30% isn't bad at all..... I'm pretty sure most of our projects have been about that. Yet I still keep thinking, "This one won't go over budget!" I'm on to the exterior this spring, with about a $2500 budget. Ha!

• DoggieMom
    13 years ago

Much more than I had initially hoped, (of course). It's looking like somewhere in the $30k range for complete renovation of master bath ... flooring, cabinetry, countertops, new tub, sinks, faucets, shower system, shower tile, toilet, remove wallpaper, fix walls and paint etc. including demo. No plumbing will be moved, footprint stays the same.

• rsuburbhome
    13 years ago

Two 20 year old bathrooms, DIY, just under 7K. 5x7 and 8 x7 spaces. We replaced everything, moved a doorway and moved the shower plumbing a little. We used mostly low end stuff, we were after functionality. Sterling ensemble tubs, one subway tile and color accent surround shower, one 3 piece preformed shower, two toto drakes 1.28, wish the 1.6 had been available, porcelain tile floors, custom vanities, 36 inches high, one 30 inch wide, one 42, custom medicine cabinets, toilet topper, new fans, light fixtures, faucets and lg himacs counter tops. I love it all, it took 11 weeks, to be totally done, including mud putty the nail holes. DH wants to start next project, I am just happy to be done with the chaos for a while. Thanks for all the info I learned on here. I will try to post pictures later.

• glenna
    13 years ago

Am getting sticker shock from a contractor who is telling me that 50K is a "ballpark" figure for my 5x8 bath remodel (which could come in higher). I need to move all the fixtures around, make a separate (4x4) curbless shower(accessible), have a narrow (19") one-sink counter (about 56" long) and snag some space from an adjoining closet, and take out dinky window and replace (reframe, add siding). Yeah, a lot of stuff. But this is NO high end materials -- just daltile subways and small porcelain on the floor. I've already bought all the fixtures.

Los Angeles area. This price seems crazy to me.

• nycbluedevil
    13 years ago

We are looking at spending about 140K on two bathrooms in Manhattan. One is 5 x 18 and the other is 5 x 14. We are using Harrington Brass in master and Jado in the other bath, Hansgrohe rain shower heads, handshowers and sprays, Toto toilets and sinks and washlet, Kohler Greek tub. Baths will be fully tiled in botticino fiorito marble with custom cabinetry. Radiant heated floors. We bought all the fittings and fixtures at plumbtile (prices were great and they have been a pleasure to deal with). Moving A LOT of plumbing--virtually everything. It is all in the labor.

• vickkig
    13 years ago

Mine was a gut job & I hired by own subs - 10.5' X 9' room. Came in at about $18,750 total - $9,900 for fixtures and supplies and $8,850 for labor. Seperate tub and shower, all porcelain tile, custom vanity and linen, decent quality stuff but not fancy. There were some plumbing and structural problems that I didn't plan on that increased my cost by probably $2,500 or so. I had originally budgeted $15K.

• downtowner
    13 years ago

I don't remember the details, but I recall spending $150k for one bathroom in Manhattan, about 15 x 19, no expense spared. About 8k for the spa bath, about 6k for the Toto Neorest, 2 Velux automated skylights with two shades, Hunter Douglas automated window shades, towel warmer, Boffi mirror, custom sink with Swiss faucets, three Italian illuminated shower head, floating bench, ingenious hafele custom hardware in unique configurations, Italian tile, laundry chute, warlmy yours heated floors, Kerdi, a lot of structural work, Loewen access windows with tranquility glazing, Italian sculptural magazine rack, small garden, small Japanese planetarium.

It's quite nice. I've even business meetings and photoshoots in it.

It would have cost a lot more if I had not been my own GC.

• empet
    13 years ago

Our DIY remodel on a 7x9 bathroom ran about $5000, a month of work with a few weeks prep beforehand and a month finishing afterwards (handles, baseboards, minor details). We closed off a doorway, replaced vanity and floor, re-enameled the tub and replaced the tub surround, kept the toilet. All in keeping with our compromise between too many ideas, and avoiding being the fanciest house on our fairly basic street.

- $250 materials + 7 days to close off a door, reframe that wall, and drywall; also fix and skimcoat the manky old ceiling.
    - $550 lighting: $200 vent fan/light, $40 can light, $200 vanity lights, $75 or so on various outlets, switches, a timer switch for the fan, electrical boxes etc.
    - $500 flooring: adhesive, grout, and tile, Armstrong Alterna (powdered stone in a vinyl matrix, I love it!)
    - $1300-1400 Miracle Method: ~$500 for tub re-enamel, ~$800 for fiberglass tub surround fit/install.
    - $1800 for vanity setup: $950 60" vanity (RTA bamboo from Domain Cabinets Direct), $450 Swanstone top from Lowe's, $100 Delta faucet (internet order), $250 Kohler medicine cabinet, $50 handles
    - $350 finishing touches: $175 hardware (towel/shower bar), $100 soft goods (shower curtain, rug, towels), $75 paint and art.

Add to that, another $500 in contractor fees for my father-in-law: several bottles of wine, and dinner at a good restaurant!

• na_praha
    13 years ago

Looks like this thread is no longer relevant for the OP - congrats on finishing up your project - but for others who are interested, we just spent a bit over $15K for our gut remodel. After DIYing two bathrooms on the west coast, we had terrible sticker shock at both material costs and contractor fees on the east coast (we're in MD). The majority of this, $11,750, was for labor. The rest was spent on materials, mostly low-priced big box and online finds meant to approximate the look of higher end materials. Moving from a no-sales-tax state to one with ample sales tax certainly affected our bottom line! Here's the finished product:

Here is a link that might be useful: Our $15K+ bath

• postquake_angela
    13 years ago

We're renovating a 7x8 bath and a 4x6 half bath. Except for the addition of a sink in the half bath, no fixtures are being moved.

We are procuring materials (cast iron clawfoot tub, hex floor tile, restoration hardware sink) ourselves for about $13k. We've gotten labor estimates for $22k and up, and the sticker shock stalled the project for several months. We're currently working with a pretty experienced GC who quoted $14k for labor.

• peteinsonj
    13 years ago

Just starting on the master bath remodel, everything staying in same spot. Reusing kohler cast iron white garden tub, keeping vanities (repainting), new shower, new toilet...

Anticipated costs-
    Demo $1900
    Contractor $10,000
    Plumber $2750
    Fixtures (Moen digital shower & tub valves, Hansgrohe bodysprays, hand showers, faucets -- $5,000
    Tile -- travertine, glass accents $4000
    Counters, tub deck, shower threshold (marble) $2200
    Crown moulding, paint, etc $1500
    Frameless glass door $1100
    New windows $1500
    Permits $600

Lots of work myself -- new super quiet exhaust, lighting, outlets, electric, new heater, new cabinet doors, new closet & entry doors, new casings & base boards, I took down 3 layers of wall paper myself and did sheetrock repairs, will install the glass doors myself -- $2200

So about $33k, I expect to go over by that by 5-10% (subfloors damaged, rotted lumber, etc etc)

Since I'm pulling the permits myself & acting as GC, I expect to save at least 30%. Lots of headaches, but worth it.

One way to make this easier to pay for, I started the work almost a year ago -- removing wall paper, replacing doors, electric, windows, took my time buying all the fixtures online with aggressive shopping. Had the crown & primer paint done when I had the bedroom painted.

I didn't spend even this much on the kitchen!

• IAContractor
    13 years ago

I do a 5 x 8 standard bath with Sterling remodelors tub/shower, Kohler toilet, 30" vanity, Delta faucets, vinyl floor, one piece counter and sink. Fixtures stay where they are. new bath fan/light and GFCI outlet. Owners buy shower curtain and bath acccesories and we install. Includeds all demo, drywall, paint, permits, materials and labor start at $8,500.00. That's $212.50 a foot. I did 8 of these last winter and all were under $10,000.00. On the flip side I am doing one now that is 8'4" x 14' that is $60,000.00 = $526.00 a foot.

• ae2ga
    13 years ago

Holy cow - I am now officially frightened of my upcoming renovation, especially the part that calls for making a master suite with a larger bathroom by combining an unused bedroom.

• Doug54
    13 years ago

We are about 75% finished with our remodels of a 9x9 and 5x8. Total costs looks to be around 30K. We hired a GC, used mid priced fixtures, and nothing was relocated. I did not factor in the additional unanticipated costs to replace galvinized piping with cooper, and to change out some 50 year old piping in our crawl space ($3500). It's amazing what kinds of surprises you'll encounter.